Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

2.73 to 3.42 Swap & Tune?

I am with the understanding that you will have to have a re-tune when you do the gear swap from a 2.73 to a 3.42. Can anyone tell me other than the speedo what would be off? Also, does anyone know if Tuned by Frost will do a re-tune and what the cost is?
    2000 Trans Am - Sold
    BBK LT's, ORY, SLP LM2, SLP Cold Air Intake, Wide Band O2, American Racing Torq Thrust 2's, Founders STB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets, Adjustable PHB, BMR Lowering Springs. Deleted AIR & EGR & Tuned By Frost. 1 of 23 MRM with options.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT Stock

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Hey Ben,
    Nothing else will be effected by the gear other then your speedo. As for the re-tune through Frost....When you send the worksheet with all your addons/boltons, just write "RE-TUNE" and the cost is 50.00 +shipping.

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Sweet, did you do you own or have it done?

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

I did it myself. Took about 4 hours and a few busted knuckles

Last edited by Nutball; 06-13-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Awesome, did you have any issues setting the back lash or any whining when you were done? I'm pretty sure it's worth the time and effort for me to do it not to spend $500-$600 for someone else to do it...

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

No issues......except
    When I have a load on (throttle-up) there is some noise. I had it looked at after I got done and I was told normal for the size gear, wait for it to "seat" which would take anywhere from 5-8k miles and be thankful it's only on the load side. Meaning when I'm off the throttle, she's quite. If it becomes too much of a nuisance, I could try shim the pinion slightly.
    But over-all..I'm happy. The noise is a little bothersome due to never having any prior to the gear swap.

Did you install a used gear?

Gears swaps are alot of work for a ratio that can be found in a factory rear already. Most guys just grab a 3.42 10 bolt used out of another Fbody and shove the whole assembly in. They aren't hard to find and sell cheaper than the gear swap cost. The biggest obstacle in this case would be finding a 3 channel or 4 channel to fit your needs.
    Might save someone alot of headache that isn't sure of their mechanical abilities on gear swaps.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Did you install a used gear?
    I would NEVER install a used gear! Total cost for NEW parts were roughly 300.00
    Went with a Motive Performance 3.73. I know most would disagree with the ratio I installed but, I wanted a little more then the stock 3.42 (WS6) and 2.73 (T/A) without having to spend more $$ on a 12 bolt or 8".
    Since I do not race her........

Quote Originally Posted by Nutball View Post
    I would NEVER install a used gear! Total cost for NEW parts were roughly 300.00
    Went with a Motive Performance 3.73. I know most would disagree with the ratio I installed but, I wanted a little more then the stock 3.42 (WS6) and 2.73 (T/A) without having to spend more $$ on a 12 bolt or 8".
    Since I do not race her........
    Nothing wrong with that ratio at all. 3.73 is a nice all around gear that does everything well. I run that ratio in my wifes 6speed, but I installed a 12 bolt.

I was referring more to the original question of going from a 2.73 to a 3.42 and his concern on how difficult the gear swap would be. Which is why I suggest to just grab a 6speed 3.42 rear complete and change the entire housing. Much easier and more cost effective than an actual gear swap.

Thread Information