Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

1998 WS6 single exhaust exit pipe?

On 98 WS6 cars we have the single exhaust pipe exiting out the back, though they made cutouts for duals.

My question is does anyone have any idea why Pontiac went this way?
    Was it just being cheap or was there some reason this was a good thing to do?

My friend that has a 94 Formula commented I was missing a tailpipe, I had to explain to him this was stock but had no reason as to why.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

A single in/single out muffler should flow better than the typical f body cross flow muffler. After a year of it they prolly realized no one liked it tho.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

It doesn't look as "cool" and having a second cutout doesn't help. But I was warned about not changing this if I did mods. Car still has under 35K on it so I figured I will just leave it stock. Just could not explain WHY it is like it is. Thanks for the info.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

no reason to keep it single unless you hope to sell it as a 100% stock car at BJ auctions.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

yeah, makes me wonder how much money someone is sitting on with an OEM SOTL '98 catback system. those are hard to find...

Black/Black
    98 WS6/04 Sierra Dmax

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    yeah, makes me wonder how much money someone is sitting on with an OEM SOTL '98 catback system. those are hard to find...
    mine is in the rafters of the garage. I dont think i will ever sell it though.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Well I of course thought about doing modifications but have just decided to keep it 100% stock like it is right now. I have been good with that decision. I use my motorcycle for my adrenaline rush fixes. I do drive it and enjoy it though.

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by thomasterrible View Post
    On 98 WS6 cars we have the single exhaust pipe exiting out the back, though they made cutouts for duals.

My question is does anyone have any idea why Pontiac went this way?
    Was it just being cheap or was there some reason this was a good thing to do?

My friend that has a 94 Formula commented I was missing a tailpipe, I had to explain to him this was stock but had no reason as to why.
    They used the single exit because they flowed much better then a dual type set up. People bitched so they stopped using it, i cant remember how much hp they picked up over the other set up but i think it was in a issue of GM high tech last year.

99 Formula

i like that your keeping it stock , just a few hidden mods like a tune and minor things and keep the exhaust stock .

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Yeah when I was looking for the one to buy I had thoughts of all sorts of mods. Then when I ended up with this one that was stock low miles I changed my mind. Shocks like the tires will make it nicer to drive but keeping the stock ones it will always be easy to make it 100% stock. I was lucky because the original owners are an older couple that are collectors and had other really nice and stock cars from a 1970 Hemi Cuda to a Buick Grand National in their garage. It's funny how people in the area that have Mercedes and BMW's and pricey cars it is my 10 grand car that gets attention. I think Pontiac did a really good job with this body style. I have to wonder what a new one would like like since the Pontiac Fbody was always a more aggressive styling than the Camaro.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 95camaroZNC View Post
    They used the single exit because they flowed much better then a dual type set up. People bitched so they stopped using it, i cant remember how much hp they picked up over the other set up but i think it was in a issue of GM high tech last year.
    While complaints about the "wierd" SOTL pipe on the '98s probably did have something to do with GM's switch to a dual-outlet exhaust for the '99+ WS6s and SSs, there was a technical reason as well. New noise regulations went into effect in '99 and the SOTL did not meet it. So to address both issues, the '99+ cars got a quieter dual outlet setup.

Keep in mind that in '97 (and possibly '96), SLP installed / offered a system on WS6 and SS cars that exited only on the left. I believe it had twin tips on a single outlet muffler that came out on the left side only. This may have been the exact same muffler as was used on the '98 WS6/SS cars but with a different tip. I don't know as much about the '96-'97 SLP cars, but there may have been some carry-over that resulted in the the '98 SOTL.

BTW, I still have my SOTL. Until I do longtubes and ORY, there isn't much flow/performance improvement to be had by a different cat-back. Besides, the SOTL is a conversation starter. When I do need more flow, it's easy to add an e-cutout and right-hand matching pipe (which I already have) to get a "poor-man's Borla".
    Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 06-07-2011 at 08:24 AM.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    Keep in mind that in '97 (and possibly '96), SLP installed / offered a system on WS6 and SS cars that exited only on the left. I believe it had twin tips on a single outlet muffler that came out on the left side only. This may have been the exact same muffler as was used on the '98 WS6/SS cars but with a different tip. I don't know as much about the '96-'97 SLP cars, but there may have been some carry-over that resulted in the the '98 SOTL.
    yep, those systems were referrd to as "TOTL" - Two On The Left.

My father's '96 SS has the TOTL, SLP catback option.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Interesting. I don't consider my exhaust to be loud at all. Do you? It is nice to know that the single outlet was for better performance, I will take that and what is apparently a better sound too over dual outlets. I also checked out exhaust systems before I bought my car and was thinking of modifying things and found that was an area of poor amounts of gain for the money. I thought that there were more made than there were but I looked at your link to the chart, that much more reason to keep it stock. There was a NHRA edition car for sale when I was looking, it was rare obviously but also very high miles and from what I recall had some knobs and badges but smaller wheels and nothing really performance wise so even though it was cheap I passed it up. It went unsold for quite sometime so I guess a lot of other people felt the same way. Still I did not buy the car as an investment but as the car I liked best for my 10 grand budget and this was it and no regrets at all.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I wondered this same thing. I haven't seen any SOTL in my area, but when I bought a Monogram 1:25 scale 98 T/A years ago, I wondered why there was one tip on the muffler. I asked myself "Is this for real?" and "are there any SOTL T/As out there?"

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    While complaints about the "wierd" SOTL pipe on the '98s probably did have something to do with GM's switch to a dual-outlet exhaust for the '99+ WS6s and SSs, there was a technical reason as well. New noise regulations went into effect in '99 and the SOTL did not meet it. So to address both issues, the '99+ cars got a quieter dual outlet setup.
    In 97 they just stuck the "Cone of SIlence" in there.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

I don't understand the supposed noise issue. It is not loud at all and I only really hear the motor at all at full throttle. It is far noisier driving on the freeway with the t-tops off!

Red
    1998 WS6 Trans Am

i still have my 98 ws6 with the single outlet. however the front of my car hit a wall last december (upsetting story) so im looking for another ws6 now. might just keep other sitting around for parts. still runs great but hood and few other things are ruined. drove it approx 50 miles to my parents with hood held down with rope. air box is little screwed too.
    anyways back on topic. the single exhaust always starts conversations and people think it's v6 and the list goes on. i got used to the look though.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

That sucks about the crash but if it were able to be fixed without too much cost would be an ideal candidate for hot rodding. I think that the wing on the back and the ram air hood are generally what will get noticed before the single outlet exhaust and even less noticeable to most on a black painted car like mine. I am not a big fan of the trend around here of the little imports with the loud single fart cans sticking out the back. Especially if they are loaded with dash trash and things that are not performance oriented. But I am also used to it on my car and don't care knowing it came that way for best performance, anyway I am usually looking out from the inside of the car.

Red
    1998 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by thomasterrible View Post
    That sucks about the crash but if it were able to be fixed without too much cost would be an ideal candidate for hot rodding. I think that the wing on the back and the ram air hood are generally what will get noticed before the single outlet exhaust and even less noticeable to most on a black painted car like mine. I am not a big fan of the trend around here of the little imports with the loud single fart cans sticking out the back. Especially if they are loaded with dash trash and things that are not performance oriented. But I am also used to it on my car and don't care knowing it came that way for best performance, anyway I am usually looking out from the inside of the car.
    would need a new front end basically and few internals. however the car needed work anyways. the driver door was sagging. a/c broke for 2nd time. needed new driver seat. at least 1 new wheel. as far as it running.... like a dream. transmission rebuilt approx 60k miles ago. new power steering pump and some other stuff. ahwell guess i'll see how things turn out.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Then you are correct, sounds like a parts car and you know which are the good ones. Of course any part in good condition you could sell to make money if you wanted to. What color interior? I hope it works out for you whatever you decide. And I know I have seen want ads for that single exhaust that this thread is about.

Thread Information