Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

1998 trans am worth the price?

This is a discussion on 1998 trans am worth the price? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 0rion would need a closer shot of that area....could be a few things. Lights wired in to ...

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    would need a closer shot of that area....could be a few things. Lights wired in to show through the ram air, some type of iat tricker, wires for a fan toggle....ect ect.
    I asked the owner what the blue connectors were and he said "msd chip wires, where they connect"... could someone explain what that Is?

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    would need a closer shot of that area....could be a few things. Lights wired in to show through the ram air, some type of iat tricker, wires for a fan toggle....ect ect.
    I asked the owner what the blue connectors were and he said "msd chip wires, where they connect"... could someone explain what that Is?

I also asked him about the bent break lines and he said "I didn't mess with them it has drilled breaks on it"

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Could be a wire harness that plugs in between the MAF and engine harness that contains a chip. The chip simply fools the PCM into thinking something else is happening so it adds more fuel or spark to supposedly make more power. The proper way to do it is a mail order or dyno tune. If the car is "chipped" that is the first thing I would remove.

His answer to the brake line question is essentially a non-response. Installation of drilled or slotted rotors does not at all involve messing with the brake lines between the master cylinder and ABS block.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Yup...agree with Orion...pass on this one, it's getting sketchy

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Maybe I missed it, but are there no pics of the passenger side of the car?

Black
    2001 Formula

I did a "1998 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am - What's it Worth?" search on Edmond's based on the options I could see from the pix (auto, chrome wheels, cd stereo, mileage) and selected "Average Condition". They came back with a Private Party Sale Price of $3,390.

At $3500, you would already be over the price that it is "worth" and now you would have to add in the "transmission doesn't work, questions about the wiring, brake lines, etc." so my opinion would be PASS! I would rather spend twice as much on a car that I could at least test drive than half as much on a car that I couldn't...

Keep on looking, you will find the car for you. I searched for 8 months and drove over 200 miles one way just to look at my Formula. (My ex drove me to pick it up, so you might understand how much I wanted this car!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information