Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

1998 Trans Am - Should I buy?

This is a discussion on 1998 Trans Am - Should I buy? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Well, I am back to the drawling board. I think I should keep my options open for a 1993-1997 as ...

Well, I am back to the drawling board. I think I should keep my options open for a 1993-1997 as well. I was told the 3rd gens are easier to work on over the 4th gen.

What do you think about this 1995 Firebird Formula Trans Am? It just turned 97k miles.

I spoke with the guy to find out more information not listed. It has a small crack in the dash, the driver side door key does not work (it needs rekeyed), and there is a small tear on the headliner.

He is asking $4950, but after talking to him he said he has $4250 In the car and will not go lower.

Do you think it is worth the $4250 if it checks out?

1995 Pontiac Formula 1 Trans Am

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

IMHO I will always stay away from LT1 cars. When they are working they run good, but unless you do a 24x conversion to get rid of the opti-spark you'll be spending a lot of time and $$ fixing it. If I had to chose between the Camaro or the trans am LT1 cars it would be the Camaro. I had a 96 FB and the hood always bugged me.

I have a friend that for the last 4 yrs has been replacing the opti-spark at least once a yr sometimes 2-3 times a yr. Since he is currently doing a body swap because of an accident he's working on a 24x conversion while it's all apart.

In case you're wondering what a 24x conversion is - quick answer is you delete the opti-spark and swap over to LS1 style coil packs. It requires either repining the wire harness or getting a new one, a LS1 PCM, new timing cover, coil packs for LS1, and tune.

I spent $6500 on my TA that had 108,000 miles and was all stock. It still had the original clutch still. That was in 09'. Now I have 169,000 on it plus she ain't stock anymore, my signature you can see the mods. I spent 6 months looking for the right deal. It is better to wait and be patient then to jump on the first thing that comes along. Not all F-body owners are responsible. I saw a lot of abused cars. Mine came from a 17 yr old girl. She was the 3rd owner and got tired of driving a stick. Wanted a 70's Chevelle like her dad. Only things wrong was the crack in the dash, which is to be expected and the clutch was way over due for replacement. Prices are coming down.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 12-06-2012 at 10:27 AM.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403 built, breaking it in , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, Monster Stg 4 Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, UMI: SFC, PHB, LCA's, LCA Relocation Brackets & TA, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/4.10 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    IMHO I will always stay away from LT1 cars. When they are working they run good, but unless you do a 24x conversion to get rid of the opti-spark you'll be spending a lot of time and $$ fixing it. If I had to chose between the Camaro or the trans am LT1 cars it would be the Camaro. I had a 96 FB and the hood always bugged me.

I have a friend that for the last 4 yrs has been replacing the opti-spark at least once a yr sometimes 2-3 times a yr. Since he is currently doing a body swap because of an accident he's working on a 24x conversion while it's all apart.

In case you're wondering what a 24x conversion is - quick answer is you delete the opti-spark and swap over to LS1 style coil packs. It requires either repining the wire harness or getting a new one, a LS1 PCM, new timing cover, coil packs for LS1, and tune.

I spent $6500 on my TA that had 108,000 miles and was all stock. It still had the original clutch still. That was in 09'. Now I have 169,000 on it plus she ain't stock anymore, my signature you can see the mods. I spent 6 months looking for the right deal. It is better to wait and be patient then to jump on the first thing that comes along. Not all F-body owners are responsible. I saw a lot of abused cars. Mine came from a 17 yr old girl. She was the 3rd owner and got tired of driving a stick. Wanted a 70's Chevelle like her dad. Only things wrong was the crack in the dash, which is to be expected and the clutch was way over due for replacement. Prices are coming down.
    Alright, thanks SMWS6TA. After I posted about the 1995, I started looking more into it and people were complaining about the LT1 opti-spark. I will continue to look for an LS1.

I am going to create a new thread for this TA I was looking at a few weeks ago. The guy still has it for sale and sent me a text offering me a deal until this weekend.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information