Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

1998 Trans Am - Should I buy?

This is a discussion on 1998 Trans Am - Should I buy? within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Good morning Phil. I checked that link you sent. The hood in the link you sent is the standard "Ram ...

Dark Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Good morning Phil. I checked that link you sent. The hood in the link you sent is the standard "Ram Air" hood that the Trans Am started coming with in 98. I do love the "Twin Snout" hood on my car. But the Raptor hood Edgar and I were talking about is actually an upgrade in a way. And the Raptor if very, very close in design to the Trans Am Firehawk hood. You know, I have actually seen a Raptor hood on a Trans Am before in person, and I really liked it. At one point I was seriously considering one for mine.

Morning Cow. So, the hood in the link is not the same hood that is on the car? They look very similar. Maybe I am missing something in the design where it is different.

One person on another site made this comment:

"Since you are new to the F-body world let me share some of my 16+ years of F-body ownership with you (Yes, I bought a new '96 Formula in July 1996 and then traded it in for my current ride).
    There are exceptions to every rule but generally speaking you need to up your price range. That $5,000 area is going to buy you nothing but heartache, and sour your first F-body ownership experience. The last thing you want is a 'money pit' for a car and I can tell you right now that is exactly what you will be buying with that car you mention, especially with no paperwork (red flags are flying everywhere!)
    I believe you should be looking north of $8,000 and even then you have to be very careful. Many modded cars are beaten and abused, and again that phrase, a 'money pit'. Stock, low mileage examples are generally the best bang for the buck if the owner took care of the car. You won't find many of these examples for cheap. It is much better to save up for a decent example than to lay out repair costs over and over until you curse the day you bought it. Unless you are adept at 'do it yourself' repairs, be very careful you don't make a big mistake. "You get what you pay for" 9 times out of 10. Good luck!"

Everyone that has replied is telling me to stay clear of the car. I am just curious of what you think about the comment and maybe why I am getting a different consensus from them?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

As a member of the 98' club I'll say it looks fine so far from your description.

I wish you could get some engine bay pics.

Some items of interest that got my attention.

EGR tubes shorten - not sure why he mention this but regardless - If I had it, I'd rip the EGR and Air pump off and send the PCM to Frost for a tune. He will delete the egr codes and adjust some shift points. Best mail order tune. Many of us here have used Frost.

Rear End - something you need to accept, no matter which yr (98-02) you have. They are a POS. As an auto you can make them last a while longer vs a M6. But in the end when it comes to modding they always need replaced with something stronger. My point is if you start thinking of throwing a cam and a good set of heads you're going to need to start planning on a new one.

PCV system - Something some on here would say I'm obsessed with it in my loathing. In a few words it's a horrible POS. There is some things you can do to fix/replace with. If you get this car PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Like others have posted, get it up to operating temps and drive for at least 30 mins. Get on it a few times, if it has any issues they'll show.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

The hood you posted in the link looks like crap, hence why it is only $350. It has awkward openings and has always looked to me like the "snouts" were just placed over a sleek beak hood and it is not as smooth and rounded off as a true WS6 hood. Look at that hood in the link and compare to a real WS6 hood and you'll see what I mean. The raptor hood that the car already has is a great hood and personally looks way better than the hood in the link, but it is up there with a WS6 hood. Just my opinion though

I guess DURAFelx is not good!

I received an email saying my account is disabled. Not sure what I did wrong. I emailed the forum moderators, but have received no response.
    I cannot post to this thread on my original account. It says it has to be reviewed by a moderator. I have emailed them, but they have not responded. Any ideas?
    Last edited by fastls1ta; 12-02-2012 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cowstandmoto View Post
    Good morning Phil. I checked that link you sent. The hood in the link you sent is the standard "Ram Air" hood that the Trans Am started coming with in 98. I do love the "Twin Snout" hood on my car. But the Raptor hood Edgar and I were talking about is actually an upgrade in a way. And the Raptor if very, very close in design to the Trans Am Firehawk hood. You know, I have actually seen a Raptor hood on a Trans Am before in person, and I really liked it. At one point I was seriously considering one for mine.
    Good morning Cow. I guess I cannot tell the difference between the standard Ram Air hood and the hood that is on the car. They look very similar, but I may be missing some minor detail that is different.

- - - Updated - - -

I posted this on another site and here is what someone commented:

“Since you are new to the F-body world let me share some of my 16+ years of F-body ownership with you (Yes, I bought a new '96 Formula in July 1996 and then traded it in for my current ride). There are exceptions to every rule but generally speaking you need to up your price range. That $5,000 area is going to buy you nothing but heartache, and sour your first F-body ownership experience. The last thing you want is a 'money pit' for a car and I can tell you right now that is exactly what you will be buying with that car you mention, especially with no paperwork (red flags are flying everywhere!)
    I believe you should be looking north of $8,000 and even then you have to be very careful. Many modded cars are beaten and abused, and again that phrase, a 'money pit'. Stock, low mileage examples are generally the best bang for the buck if the owner took care of the car. You won't find many of these examples for cheap. It is much better to save up for a decent example than to lay out repair costs over and over until you curse the day you bought it. Unless you are adept at 'do it yourself' repairs, be very careful you don't make a big mistake. "You get what you pay for" 9 times out of 10. Good luck!”

Everyone that has replied is telling me to stay clear of the car. I am just curious of what you think about the comment and maybe why I am getting a different consensus from them?

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    As a member of the 98' club I'll say it looks fine so far from your description.

I wish you could get some engine bay pics.

Some items of interest that got my attention.

EGR tubes shorten - not sure why he mention this but regardless - If I had it, I'd rip the EGR and Air pump off and send the PCM to Frost for a tune. He will delete the egr codes and adjust some shift points. Best mail order tune. Many of us here have used Frost.

Rear End - something you need to accept, no matter which yr (98-02) you have. They are a POS. As an auto you can make them last a while longer vs a M6. But in the end when it comes to modding they always need replaced with something stronger. My point is if you start thinking of throwing a cam and a good set of heads you're going to need to start planning on a new one.

PCV system - Something some on here would say I'm obsessed with it in my loathing. In a few words it's a horrible POS. There is some things you can do to fix/replace with. If you get this car PM me and I'll point you in the right direction.

Like others have posted, get it up to operating temps and drive for at least 30 mins. Get on it a few times, if it has any issues they'll show.
    Hi SMWS6TA. He told me he shorten the EGR tubes because they are way too long and it is a quick fix to gain extra HP.

I am not familiar with the PCV system. What is it? I will see if he will send me some pictures of the engine bay.

Also, since this car comes with headers, y-pipe, and aftermarket exhaust, isn’t there going to be an engine light on because the O2 sensors for the cats not reading correctly? I may have not conveyed this correctly. Also, the salesman and Jegs told me, if you put longtube headers on the O2 sensors will not read correctly and will give incorrect readings, which will affect the gas mileage.

I spoke to the guy this morning and he said the engine light is on because there are not cats in the car and the back O2 sensors are not connected. He also said I will need to take it to a speed shop to get it tuned and have the engine light cleared. Is this a turn off or is it common?

Here are pictures of the engine.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by fastls1ta View Post
    Hi SMWS6TA. He told me he shorten the EGR tubes because they are way too long and it is a quick fix to gain extra HP.

I am not familiar with the PCV system. What is it? I will see if he will send me some pictures of the engine bay.

Also, since this car comes with headers, y-pipe, and aftermarket exhaust, isn’t there going to be an engine light on because the O2 sensors for the cats not reading correctly? I may have not conveyed this correctly. Also, the salesman and Jegs told me, if you put longtube headers on the O2 sensors will not read correctly and will give incorrect readings, which will affect the gas mileage.

I spoke to the guy this morning and he said the engine light is on because there are not cats in the car and the back O2 sensors are not connected. He also said I will need to take it to a speed shop to get it tuned and have the engine light cleared. Is this a turn off or is it common?

Egr tubes being shortened to get extra HP, that is BS. People just remove them to get rid of that crap. All the stuff about the full exhaust being there and having the light on due to that is true. It is a must to get these cars tuned when you do those upgrades, somebody already mentioned FrostTuning. Frost does mail order tunes and will fix those issues specified while making the car run right.

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS6 View Post
    Egr tubes being shortened to get extra HP, that is BS. People just remove them to get rid of that crap. All the stuff about the full exhaust being there and having the light on due to that is true. It is a must to get these cars tuned when you do those upgrades, somebody already mentioned FrostTuning. Frost does mail order tunes and will fix those issues specified while making the car run right.
    Oh okay. From the pictures, how did the engine look?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Looks like it was clean up nicely. I would definitely do a road trip.

Like Edgar state shorting the egr tubes = Any experience LS guy would be insulted by that comment. I understand you're new so no big deal. Now your armed with some knowledge. If you get it come back and we'll give you some serious schooling but beware. Mod bug bites hard and never lets go and we can spend your money Just kidding, we've all been down this road. There are some great things about a 98 and some few negative ones.

I just reread your first post - Need to ask him about this on the rebuild. Did they replace the oil pump with a LS6 oil pump?

LS1 97-00' yrs the OP's were prone to fail. In 01-02 IIRC they switched to LS6 pumps. All 02-04 LS1's came with them from the factory.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Oh okay. From the pictures, how did the engine look?
    It looks good and egr tubes look stock size just 3 things jump at me.

1. Ask what the wire running across the engine is? In the back over the intake, looks like speaker wire and it might be just that.
    2. Missing a tab for the lid, can be common.
    3. Missing a bolt for the lower intake part, that shows that its been removed. Maybe it was removed to pull the engine out and the engine rebuild is true?

It looks good and egr tubes look stock size just 3 things jump at me.

1. Ask what the wire running across the engine is? In the back over the intake, looks like speaker wire and it might be just that.
    2. Missing a tab for the lid, can be common.
    3. Missing a bolt for the lower intake part, that shows that its been removed. Maybe it was removed to pull the engine out and the engine rebuild is true?
    Thanks silver. I will definitely check with him to see if he knows about it. With #3 are you talking about the bottom left of the SLP intake? By looking at the pictures you were able to see the egr tubes are stock...where are they located so I know what I'm looking for when I go to see it tomorrow?

What do you think about the comment I posted earlier from a guy on another site? Any thoughts why they are saying to stay clear?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

the red lines are the EGR, the smaller red line will connect to the header. If it doesn't connect then it can just be removed and deleted with a tune from Frost. The yellow lines are the other things I spotted.

On what that guy said or other people said, its all personal opinion. I have had good luck with these cars, I got my 1998 with 180k for 3g's and sold it with 196k for 4g's and she was still running like a champ. I think they are trying to stress that you should wait and get a stock one with less miles but honestly those are out there for above 10g's on a good day. I see nothing wrong with trying to purchase this one (if all checks out of course). Modded cars that give me red flags are internal mods like cam or heads, the mods this car has are so common to these cars and are the first things to get done when the mod bug bites. Good luck tomorrow and don't forget to look at the things mentioned in the link to the thread I posted earlier, I would personally write down some sort of notes so you don't forget to look at a few things when the excitement of driving it hits you

the red lines are the EGR, the smaller red line will connect to the header. If it doesn't connect then it can just be removed and deleted with a tune from Frost. The yellow lines are the other things I spotted.

Click for full size

On what that guy said or other people said, its all personal opinion. I have had good luck with these cars, I got my 1998 with 180k for 3g's and sold it with 196k for 4g's and she was still running like a champ. I think they are trying to stress that you should wait and get a stock one with less miles but honestly those are out there for above 10g's on a good day. I see nothing wrong with trying to purchase this one (if all checks out of course). Modded cars that give me red flags are internal mods like cam or heads, the mods this car has are so common to these cars and are the first things to get done when the mod bug bites. Good luck tomorrow and don't forget to look at the things mentioned in the link to the thread I posted earlier, I would personally write down some sort of notes so you don't forget to look at a few things when the excitement of driving it hits you
    Thanks silver for pointing out the items on the picture.

I didn't think there was a problem about purchasing a car that is modded, but I wanted to make sure. Especially since this is my first muscle car! I already wrote down the things you and others have said and will ask plenty of questions when I see it. I am excited, but I don't want to get too excited. Every time I've got excited about a TA I was going to see, they turned out to be a bust and I was bummed!

I will post what I think about the car tomorrow. Also, if I see anything out of the ordinary, I will take a picture and post it. I forgot to mention...he told me today when he had the car up on the lift, the transmission is very clean. I guess that is from the rebuild?

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Thanks silver for pointing out the items on the picture.

I didn't think there was a problem about purchasing a car that is modded, but I wanted to make sure. Especially since this is my first muscle car! I already wrote down the things you and others have said and will ask plenty of questions when I see it. I am excited, but I don't want to get too excited. Every time I've got excited about a TA I was going to see, they turned out to be a bust and I was bummed!

I will post what I think about the car tomorrow. Also, if I see anything out of the ordinary, I will take a picture and post it. I forgot to mention...he told me today when he had the car up on the lift, the transmission is very clean. I guess that is from the rebuild?
    Might be a good indicator or just might be that he took some carb cleaner to it and cleaned himself while he had it up there if you do have the chance to get it up on a lift that is great so you can carefully look under it and reach your hand up over the tranny to see if it is clean up there, wont hurt to check.

You are going to check this car out waaaaay better than I have ever checked any of my purchases when I bought my 02, I drove it for like 10 min, fell in love, and bought it

Might be a good indicator or just might be that he took some carb cleaner to it and cleaned himself while he had it up there if you do have the chance to get it up on a lift that is great so you can carefully look under it and reach your hand up over the tranny to see if it is clean up there, wont hurt to check.

You are going to check this car out waaaaay better than I have ever checked any of my purchases when I bought my 02, I drove it for like 10 min, fell in love, and bought it
    Hehe, thanks! My wife is my check and balance. If I REALLY like a car that is not that great, she slaps me back to reality!

Oh silver, check this out. I was looking on the web tonight and found this 1998 Camaro Z28 for sale. It has 174,416 miles. It is going for $2,995? Is it worth the $3K and getting with 174K miles? Is there any potential/foreseeable problems if the future that I may encounter?

Here is the Carfax: CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 1998 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28

Here is the car: 1998 Chevrolet Camaro $2,995 - Coughlin Automotive - London - London, OH 43140 Dealer

What do you think? Is it worth gabbing and getting for 3K?

Thanks silver!

Oh silver, check this out 1998 Camaro Z28 for sale. It has 174,416 miles. It is going for $2,995? Is it worth the $3K and getting with 174K miles? Is there any potential/foreseeable problems if the future that I may encounter?

Here is the Carfax: CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 1998 CHEVROLET CAMARO Z28

Here is the car: 1998 Chevrolet Camaro $2,995 - Coughlin Automotive - London - London, OH 43140 Dealer

What do you think? Is it worth grabbing for 3K?

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

WOW, 6 speed vs TA, now that's a tough choice, I say TA, but 6 speed is so much more fun..... OK hold out for a 6 speed Trans AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information