Black
    1998 Trans Am

1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I sold my 2001 Pewter Camaro (v6) convertible recently and purchased a black 1998 Trans Am A4. I bought the car without doing too too much research on prices and what not, because I want to have a fast car for my senior year in high school. I paid $8200 cash for it. It has SLP Loudmouth 1 catback exhaust, Volant cold air intake, Ram Air hood, and a Hypertech Power Programmer. Did I get a good deal? How much power do you think these upgrades have on the car? It has 71,000 miles on it with next to new Falken tires. It's full loaded with leather, power seat, t-tops, chrome wheels, etc. I will post pics eventually when I get some because it's been raining for the past two days since I got the car. Sorry for the long post I would just like to know if I made a good deal or not. It has a clean carfax, no tears, non smoker. Cons: rock chips on front bumper, paint on the fiberglass Ram Air hood is not perfect, and it has a rear end out of a WS6 with the 3.73 gears (but was professionally installed). Sorry again, but can you please help me. Good deal? Power estimate?

P.S. : How would I compare with a 2001 Mustang GT and a 2005 Mustang GT. Both have catback exhaust and cold air intake

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

If you are happy -- you did good. As long as the mechanicals are sound you should have lots of miles left in the car. Obviously, it is a 12 year old car and things will fail at some point. The Hypertech doesn't do a whole lot for performance. I have one that came with ours and use it primarily as a monitoring device. A mail order tune through Frost (site sponsor) is the way to go. Essentially stock, our car outran an '07 Mustang GT by about 6/10ths at the track -- if you can halfway drive you'll do fine unless they have more mods than stated.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I have got nothing but compliments so far. The paint chips are minor and I can live with them. Everything else on the car looks brand new though.

The reason I asked about those mustangs is because of course these a$$hats at my school have a 2001 and 2005 mustang gt. All they do is talk about how they have the fastest cars in school. My twin brother has a full bolt on Stage 2 Mopar SRT4 Neon and I just picked up my 1998 T/A. We both just want to take them to the track and get these kids to shut the hell up.

And the best part is my brother and I paid for our cars, these kids had mommy and daddy write a check for them.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by PurdueMiller5 View Post
    I have got nothing but compliments so far. The paint chips are minor and I can live with them. Everything else on the car looks brand new though.

The reason I asked about those mustangs is because of course these a$$hats at my school have a 2001 and 2005 mustang gt. All they do is talk about how they have the fastest cars in school. My twin brother has a full bolt on Stage 2 Mopar SRT4 Neon and I just picked up my 1998 T/A. We both just want to take them to the track and get these kids to shut the hell up.

And the best part is my brother and I paid for our cars, these kids had mommy and daddy write a check for them.
    yo man, i think thats a decent deal you got for the car....the rear end, although its still a stocker, is still an upgrade since you have 3:73 gears instead of the stock 3:42's.....as far as the assbloods at school, just stay humble, and make em look dumb at the track....i wouldnt even get into a pissing match with words with those guys...theres an old saying "those who speak are always weak, those who are quiet will cause riots"....everyone on this board as well as the mustang boards know which car is faster stock for stock....if those guys dont know it, then they dont know much about their cars...or yours.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Welcome to the site. We have a lot of knowledgeable ppl on here. Have a question just ask. The only way you can tell if you got a good deal is 1) are you happy? 2) Is the car mechanically sound? 3) Compare prices within your area vs how far your willing to go to get one vs quantity

Like PAJeff stated you if you can half way drive you should be able to beat em AT THE TRACK! <Leave it at the track> And a tune by Frost (Member and Sponsor) way better then any chip programmer.

Your statement about the rear end from a WS6 has me a bit confused? Do you mean the axle and gears or do you me the LCA's, Panhard and sway bars? or all of it?

All of cars came with the same crappy 10 bolt. Next time it goes out think of a 9" Moser or 12 bolt.

Is yours an A4 or M6? M6 upgrade to at least an LS7 clutch kit. A4 look for a stall converter.

This is a must - SFC's (Sub Frame Connectors) I have UMI, love 'em and easy to install if you have access to a lift.

I have a 98" and my sig has all that I've done in the last year.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black
    1998 Trans AM

You did good. Paid 6000$ for mine and it had 99k

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

I agree, that's a fair to good deal. And don't worry, it'll kill Mustang GTs of either year. The 05s will be close, the 01s will be crying. I am a long time Mustang owner and even I concede that Mustang owners tend towards cocky and ignorant

As for power estimates... Well the 98 was rated at what, 305hp? But everyone pretty much agrees that it was underrated, and it was closer to 340 realistically. With a catback, volant, and the hypertech, it could be say +20. I'd say it could be pushing about 360hp, or about 320+hp at the wheels. The 01 Mustang GT was rated at 260hp, and the 05 is closer at a rated 305hp I think. But your LS1 setup is still a better engine than either of the newer Mustangs.

But some of the more knowledgeable folks will hopefully chime in, as I am admittedly still learning myself...

-----

PS, and let me say, I am officially jealous. I woulda killed for a TA in high school.
    Last edited by Schmalgar; 06-14-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Thread Information