Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

14.49 ET @96mph. HELP!

This is a discussion on 14.49 ET @96mph. HELP! within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Does anybody sell "test pipes" that delete the factory cats? I know some of my DSM buddies have that option. ...

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Does anybody sell "test pipes" that delete the factory cats? I know some of my DSM buddies have that option. Quick cheap way to get them out of the system without all the cost and work of headerz
    2000 Trans Am Ram Air
    1991 Turbo Beretta GTZ
    2001 Pontiac Bonneville Supercharged
    2001 Dodge Ram Sport 5.9L
    www.wickedvinyls.com

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Pypes and some other companies make "universal" down pipes that might work. Other than that, I have not heard of anyone installing a set of test pipes on their F-body. I might have run a crow bar down through some cats in the past on other cars and knocked all the catalyst out. I say "might" because as we all know this is illegal to do.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks like the upper and lower attachment points on the cats are not in a straight line. I was thinking that the shell could be cut out and a straight piece of pipe welded in, but that would take some doing.

This sounds funny but SLP (Street Legal Performance) of all places used to sell a complete Y-pipe setup without cats that bolted to the stock manifolds.

I used to have one years ago I ran on one of our LS1's. I don't know if you could even find something like that still floating around anywhere.

I still do have a pair of gutted cats I was experimenting with. Not interested in selling at this point until the car is sold but I'm sure there are others who have done this.

For what it's worth, on my bone stock 02 SS, the gutted cats didn't do anything for it at the track, it ran the same. All it accomplished was just barely changing the tone of the exhaust but even that didn't seem to have much affect.

My theory was, stock engine, stock manifolds, it just didn't have much affect on it at all. If the engine were hot-rodded, cam, heads etc...It would be a pretty good bet that an improvement at that point would have been measurable.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Well, I put the i stp fuel system treatment in yesterday. It's feeling a bit stronger. I also ordered a set of MSD superconductor wires. Hopefully they will be here mid week, and I can get them installed prior to friday. If all goes well, I'll take it back to the track Friday night with all of these changes and see if it did anythin for me, or if it's just in my head.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

I guess I was hoping for a cheap solution to verifying the cats are bad or not. I'd spend a little on a test pipe to swap in.... But I don't want to do headers because there is a very high probability I will turbo this car soon. I'd hate to drop $500 on headers and only use them for 4 months.
    I am just wanting to get it performing at peak in stock form before I turbo it.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by nukkinfuttz View Post
    I guess I was hoping for a cheap solution to verifying the cats are bad or not. I'd spend a little on a test pipe to swap in.... But I don't want to do headers because there is a very high probability I will turbo this car soon. I'd hate to drop $500 on headers and only use them for 4 months.
    I am just wanting to get it performing at peak in stock form before I turbo it.
    I dont think any has said it yet, but take the converters off and run one of those flexible lamps on the inlet side, you should get a good idea by inspecting them. At 200k, though, I'd dare say they are pretty much past thier prime.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You are planning to turbo the current motor with over 200k miles on it?
    It's on jackstands.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    You are planning to turbo the current motor with over 200k miles on it?
    Sure, why not? Id probably go no higher than 10psi, nothing extreme. Shoot, I'm running 26psi on my 4 banger on pump gas ;-) besides, failure is an excuse to upgrade, right?!
    pajeff02 likes this.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    I dont think any has said it yet, but take the converters off and run one of those flexible lamps on the inlet side, you should get a good idea by inspecting them. At 200k, though, I'd dare say they are pretty much past thier prime.
    Hey, that's a pretty good idea!

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by nukkinfuttz View Post
    Hey, that's a pretty good idea!
    Yeah, I get one of those now and then. Don't tell my wife though

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Hey not to rub it in but one of our members went 13.6 @ 103 over the weekend with a stock M6 with cat back and SLP lid + K&N filter.
    I think if your planning on 10 psi on stock 200k LS1 you should also plan on that rebuild now!
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

That's not running it in... That's presenting more data to the situation :-) but it's an M6 car so I'm not sure I can compare apples to apples in this case.

On the subject of turboing a high mileage car... My stance is why not? If you think about it, what does a fresh rebuild net you over not doing a rebuild? Piston rings seal the absolute best? I don't have any oil consumption issues, so I don't see where spending 4k will help. It already has a MLS HG, so no improvement is needed there for this little amount of boost. Heck, I'd say the real problems you will face after boosting will be driveline related. The trans might not be too happy about the extra power.... But who rebuilds thier trans prior to boost? The rear end will probably fail, but that's an external item that can be changed if/when it fails.

I'm a firm believer that you fuel it right, time it right, then it will be fine. Mileage is just a number. It does not reflect the condition of the engine. The maintenance records reflect the condition of the engine

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Yes and no. Over time and miles, rings lose tension, cylinder bores become scored and worn, bearings wear away, carbon builds up in the combustion chambers, seals dry out and start to leak, and clearances open up. No matter how well and engine is maintained these all happen... time and miles.
    kingls1 likes this.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

My biggest concern would be carbon build up making hot spots, limiting my overall timing/boost

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Old school trick: Remove the air lid, MAF and such (this will set a code, but no big deal to clear it with a scanner). Fill a spray bottle with water and with the engine running start misting water into the throttle body. You want to mist it until the engine about stumbles and then back off a bit as far as your rate of spray. Do this for a while or until you start to see steam coming from the exhaust pipes (after the engine is warmed up fully). The water will safely remove carbon buildup from the pistons, combustion chambers and valves. If you have ever seen a cylinder that has been run with a blown head gasket that has leaked coolant into it, you'll know what I am talking about.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Yeah that aughta work. I know each time i have my turbo 4cyl apart, it's sweeky clean in the runners and head pockets because of the meth injection. Same thing you are recommending... Not thought about it from a maintenece perspective though. Cool ;-)

Silver Metallic
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    This sounds funny but SLP (Street Legal Performance) of all places used to sell a complete Y-pipe setup without cats that bolted to the stock manifolds.

I used to have one years ago I ran on one of our LS1's. I don't know if you could even find something like that still floating around anywhere.

I still do have a pair of gutted cats I was experimenting with. Not interested in selling at this point until the car is sold but I'm sure there are others who have done this.

For what it's worth, on my bone stock 02 SS, the gutted cats didn't do anything for it at the track, it ran the same. All it accomplished was just barely changing the tone of the exhaust but even that didn't seem to have much affect.

My theory was, stock engine, stock manifolds, it just didn't have much affect on it at all. If the engine were hot-rodded, cam, heads etc...It would be a pretty good bet that an improvement at that point would have been measurable.
    It's never good to encourage or imply, but these are out there.

Catalytic Converter

I have scratched my chin for quite awhile at that one.
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

SLP lid & bellow w/ K&N, GMMG catback w/ Corsa Clones, UMI SFC, UMI Adj. Panhard, UMI Adj. TQ arm w/ relocation kit, Eibach prokit, Bilstein HDs, Nitto NT555s, skip shift elim, whiteface overlays, 20% tint, matte black decal/overlays

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

They would be neat if you are running a aftermarket set up and just wanted dummy cats for inspection, but with stock manifolds it would be a tough set up. You could do the same thing with a long bar to smash through the center and knock out the junk inside. My biggest concern would be getting the bolts loose with out snapping them off.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Old school trick: Remove the air lid, MAF and such (this will set a code, but no big deal to clear it with a scanner). Fill a spray bottle with water and with the engine running start misting water into the throttle body. You want to mist it until the engine about stumbles and then back off a bit as far as your rate of spray. Do this for a while or until you start to see steam coming from the exhaust pipes (after the engine is warmed up fully). The water will safely remove carbon buildup from the pistons, combustion chambers and valves. If you have ever seen a cylinder that has been run with a blown head gasket that has leaked coolant into it, you'll know what I am talking about.
    I thought thats why people put Seafoam in through the brake vacuum hose?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information