Thread: 100k...almost

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Red face 100k...almost

hi guys, i'm about 5k from hitting the big 100,000 miles. I'm scared. I've owned the car for almost a year n' a half-i bought it June 04 and put 28,000 miles on it. [i have family and a girlfriend who live 300 miles from me]

Warrenty work b4 me replaced the rear-end @ 58k. Since it's purchase i've replaced the clutch/fly/slave @ 85k and I've had to replace both head gaskets and had the heads machined @ 91k. I've also installed NKG plugs/wires. It's a 2000 ws.6 I'm just afraid that in the next 5 thousand miles i'll be looking for new [insert something expensive here]. I never track the thing. I hardly road race but i've pegged 120 a few times just for shits n giggles.

Current things i'm concerned about are:
    Tranny seems to recoil when i let out the clutch [spec 3 and steel fly] I replaced the tranny mount with a polyurethane one and it has dyed down a bit. But if i'm at really low RPms and i shift to like 3rd or 4th [saving gas] it shudders a lot. I keep telling myself it's just torque being "shakin' off" hope i'm right. Someone said it could be my TQ arm?

What about my "bottom end" of the engine? should i see anything exploding there? [not that there are signs either]

rear end leaks-i heard this is common, it's just "damp" b/c the seal isn't dense enough compared to the the fluid used?

I appreciate any help you can give. =)

Black
    99 SS

its normal for the rearends to leak especially the 12 bolts. bottom end should be fine.

your engine runs strong and is extremly healthy, i wouldnt worry till 150,000k

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

108k here and I'm on the 2nd rearend, 3rd motor, 2nd tranny, and.....ok I'll stop scaring you now It'll be fine!

Yes.
    bunch of them

I wouldn't worry, regardless. 100K is nothing anymore.
    2002 WS6 M6 454 LSx
    2000 Camaro SS M6
    2000 WS6 M6->A4
    2004 Silverado SS
    2004 GTO A4
    2002 Grand Prix GTP sdn
    2006 Envoy Denali
    1999 GMC Slonoma
    1999 "Project LS10"
    1996 Impala SS
    www.panamacitylsx.com

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998
    108k here and I'm on the 2nd rearend, 3rd motor, 2nd tranny, and.....ok I'll stop scaring you now It'll be fine!
    dude.....

99 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign
    hi guys, i'm about 5k from hitting the big 100,000 miles. I'm scared. I've owned the car for almost a year n' a half-i bought it June 04 and put 28,000 miles on it. [i have family and a girlfriend who live 300 miles from me]

Warrenty work b4 me replaced the rear-end @ 58k. Since it's purchase i've replaced the clutch/fly/slave @ 85k and I've had to replace both head gaskets and had the heads machined @ 91k. I've also installed NKG plugs/wires. It's a 2000 ws.6 I'm just afraid that in the next 5 thousand miles i'll be looking for new [insert something expensive here]. I never track the thing. I hardly road race but i've pegged 120 a few times just for shits n giggles.

Current things i'm concerned about are:
    Tranny seems to recoil when i let out the clutch [spec 3 and steel fly] I replaced the tranny mount with a polyurethane one and it has dyed down a bit. But if i'm at really low RPms and i shift to like 3rd or 4th [saving gas] it shudders a lot. I keep telling myself it's just torque being "shakin' off" hope i'm right. Someone said it could be my TQ arm?

What about my "bottom end" of the engine? should i see anything exploding there? [not that there are signs either]

rear end leaks-i heard this is common, it's just "damp" b/c the seal isn't dense enough compared to the the fluid used?

I appreciate any help you can give. =)

Don't be scared, plenty of these cars run welllllllll into the 100,000's. If it bothers you so much, you might try and trade it/sell it for a model with less miles...but even that won't guarantee anything. I've seen cars with more problems and less miles, and cars with 150k miles still chugging along.

You will have shuddering with the spec 3 at low rpm's, our formula does it all the time. I think it has to do with the fact that it is more or less an on/off clutch, and it doesn't have a lot of give to it.

The bottom end...as long as it's not making noise or giving you problems, it should be fine. Keep up with oil changes.

And as far as the rear end, you would be hard pressed to find an f-body who's pinion seal doesn't leak. As long as there is not fluid in puddles underneath it, some seepage is normal. My rear end is covered in it!! I'm installing 4.10s this weekend though and will put in a new pinion seal. Sometimes leaks from the pinion result because someone didn't scotchbrite the yoke before sticking it back in...any small knicks/etc in the yoke can tear up the rubber seal very easy and cause it to leak. It can also leak if you installed it cockeyed, or just beat the hell out of it to get in. In any case like I said as long as it's just seeping, its not a big deal.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

thanks Kel, i appreciate the response.

Black
    02 Z06

Welll it really depends on how hard you drive it. If you beat the shit out of it it's going to go out quicker. But heres a example. I had a 130,000 miles on my old LT1 trans am and it was still running strong. The things you have to worry about is suspension. Because no matter. Thats going to start going bad with all those miles on it.

Yes.
    bunch of them

I love some of these replies.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i just took my car to the local LS1 perfomance shop and they answered A LOT of questions for me. He explained every noise, bump and oddity and made me 100% sure that my car is in great shape. Wow, i feel so relieved. They also solved my little throttle-cable issue [from thread: http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4575 ]so now when i slam the pedal i actually get W O T !
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 10-29-2005 at 07:39 AM.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Redphoenix1998

well i know people who have gone 124k on an ls1 with no problems,(except for minor things) and ive heard of cars like poor redphoenix. im almost at 100k if it makes u feel any better. i am gonna cry when i turn over 100k, i got teary at 98k! haha.

im just going with the flow, changing all fluids when needed, not beating on her to bad, just plain keeping good maintience. i'll replace whatever it needs whenever it needs it.

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by dipherentdesign

i just took my car to the local LS1 perfomance shop and they answered A LOT of questions for me. He explained every noise, bump and oddity and made me 100% sure that my car is in great shape. Wow, i feel so relieved. They also solved my little throttle-cable issue [from thread: http://ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4575 ]so now when i slam the pedal i actually get W O T !

alright ill post up if i hear something and have a question

Navy Blue Metallic
    99 Formula WS6

I'm at 130,000 now and my biggest concern is the timing chain. Has anyone changed a high milage chain, and how badly stretched was it?

My previous car was an '84 Hurst Olds that I took to 250,000 miles. I replaced the stock timing chain at 100,000 and it was badly stretched by the weak-kneed Olds 307 that came in the car.

GM was using nylon timing gears back then too. Supposedly for quieter operation. They wore out faster too, several teeth were missing. Looking at it you had to wonder how the chain made contact with the gears.

Please tell me my LS1 has better stock parts. My motor is 'as left the factory', never been opened. Only the AC compressor has been changed to date (twice).

Thread Information