Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    King Louie

black
    02 ws6

02 ws6 vs. 92 3000gt twin turbo

My brother is buying a 3000 gt vr-4 which means it is all wheel drive and twin turbo. it has a 4-speed manual tranny, with a full exhaust system. he is wanting to make some pretty big bets and i am just wondering how you guys think i can hold up with my 02 ws6 m6. all i have is exhaust and SFC's. i am a little better driver than he is when it comes to racing so what do you guys think? ( keep in mind a lot of money is at stake)

2000pontiac6
    search the kills section i know i've read about vr4's in there. If i remember correctly their weight ends up keeping them a tad behind but not much

Awaiting Activation
    those came with M6 just like your WS6. I think it will be a drivers race. They have 320 hp, but weigh more than our cars. He will kill you off the line because of AWD, but i think you will be able to catch him and pull slightly. If a lot of $$ is on the line go buy some dr's and don't get beat off the line.

black
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

as said, you might get beat off the line, but i think youll pull away as you get going faster. driver skill plays a part though

Firestorm Red
    1993 Stealth ES

Quote Originally Posted by 03regency View Post
    My brother is buying a 3000 gt vr-4 which means it is all wheel drive and twin turbo. it has a 4-speed manual tranny, with a full exhaust system. he is wanting to make some pretty big bets and i am just wondering how you guys think i can hold up with my 02 ws6 m6. all i have is exhaust and SFC's. i am a little better driver than he is when it comes to racing so what do you guys think? ( keep in mind a lot of money is at stake)
    How is it a 4-speed? All VR-4s came with a 5-speed ('91-'93) or a 6-speed ('94-'99)

As for the racing like everyone else said you'll get beat off the line, but you'll beat him over a distance.

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

race him on a long straight highway for as much money as u can get out of him....vr4 320 horse 3800lbs ws6 330-340 horse 3350 or so..sound about right???? off the line youll lose though if he can launch it

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

VR4's are very heavy (~3800lbs) and have a ton of drivetrain loss due to AWD. Provided you can launch, you will beat him from both a dig and a roll, no problem.

King Louie

black
    02 ws6

sorry about the four speed i was mistaken. i wasnt thinking clearly last night. where we are goin to race is about 1/2. will that be time enough to catch him ya think?

pewter

haha its enough time to put him far in your rearview...is your car still completely stock???? throw a lid on that thing before the race if not..will take u 10 min and 90 bucks

King Louie

black
    02 ws6

i got exhaust and SFC's but thats it. cash flow is pretty much at a hault right now so i can really add nething within the next month or two, but i will see if i cant come up with $90.

pewter

no lid?? wow get on that boy...lol.....dont forget to let us know how bad u spanked him after the race

Black
    1998 Camaro SS Vert M6

If it's stock you'll take his money!!! My only loss has been to a modified VR4, he got a car on me from launch and I couldn't make it up through 120 mph, but again he was modified...

Firestorm Red
    1993 Stealth ES

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    VR4's are very heavy (~3800lbs) and have a ton of drivetrain loss due to AWD. Provided you can launch, you will beat him from both a dig and a roll, no problem.
    He should win both a dig, and a roll even if he can't launch.

Quote Originally Posted by 03regency View Post
    sorry about the four speed i was mistaken. i wasnt thinking clearly last night. where we are goin to race is about 1/2. will that be time enough to catch him ya think?

Wow, you'll really beat him then! 1/2 a mile, yea you'll be able to take him in a 1/4. So you'll smoke him in the 1/2!!!

red
    1959 corvette

Ive smoked the shit out of one with all upgrades except bigger turbos, he had a downpipe, glass packs, suspension upgrades, he didnt have a chip in it either. It was from a roll at 25 to say 100mph and I pulled about 4 cars by the top of fourth(this was before gears and exhaust, and my car only dynoed at 307rwhp) hell kinda hang threw 2nd gear but once you shift to 3rd hell start falling back quick.
    My mods on the 99 FORMULA
    Whisper lid, K&N, B&M Short Throw, CAI, Magna Flow Exhaust, UMI torque arm, FT LT hdrs, ORY, dual cutouts, 4.11 Gears, BMR SFC, BMR MSB, BMR lower control arms, Poly motor and tranny mounts, 575/568 232/227 111 lobe cam, Taylor wires, ngk tr55s,1 10in. JL W3 for beat.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

just to let you know, the 3000gt runs 14.3 with the best driver and in the best conditions. im pritty sure you can do that in reverse.. lol i have an 00 ws6 and i beat both the new gto and an 87 grand national with some upgrades and radials.. i was completely stock with street tires always. ran a 13.44 for my best time. let him choose what to race for and take it..

Ultimate nothing

Black
    2000 Trans Am

If you blow a shift, it's going to get ugly. It does depend if his car is stock or not.

Just be careful, a 1/2 mile at WOT in an LS1 will put you well into the triple digits...

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

It depends on the year of VR4 you are racing. The earlier editions (5 speeds) have 300hp. The later iterations (6 speed) had 320hp. The 6 speed versions are wicked off the line. There is some kind of boost mod that alot of the VR4 owners do (zip tie mod or something) which increases boost pressure for pretty much no money. If he does that you may have a tough battle. 1/2 mile wise you should beat him. The LS1 motor has more power, it just hard to get our cars to link up. Expect him to get a car and a half outta the hole, and for you to slowly reel him in.

BTW, whoever said that VR4's runs 14.4 sec. 1/4 miles hasn't seen that many VR4's. A guy I know from another board ran a 13.3 sec. 1/4 mile at 104 mph with only manual boost controller. He could run a high 13 sec. pass stock.

They are definitely a car to avoid buying though. Your brother will be poverty stricken once he buys it. Those cars can't pass up a shop, and they cost a fortune to repair (I use to own the kissing cousin ~ Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo).

lookin for a ws6

re

So , have you ran him yet?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Bob'sWS6 View Post
    It depends on the year of VR4 you are racing. The earlier editions (5 speeds) have 300hp. The later iterations (6 speed) had 320hp. The 6 speed versions are wicked off the line. There is some kind of boost mod that alot of the VR4 owners do (zip tie mod or something) which increases boost pressure for pretty much no money. If he does that you may have a tough battle. 1/2 mile wise you should beat him. The LS1 motor has more power, it just hard to get our cars to link up. Expect him to get a car and a half outta the hole, and for you to slowly reel him in.
    The LS1 has a lot more power, once he gets traction he will walk past the VR4 no problem. We're taking 300+WHP compared to ~250WHP.

BTW, whoever said that VR4's runs 14.4 sec. 1/4 miles hasn't seen that many VR4's. A guy I know from another board ran a 13.3 sec. 1/4 mile at 104 mph with only manual boost controller. He could run a high 13 sec. pass stock.
    They run low 14's on average. With a perfect launch and a skilled driver, they can hit high 13's. Not all that common though. Just like the Evo and STI, you have to launch them very hard to run a ecent time.

They are definitely a car to avoid buying though. Your brother will be poverty stricken once he buys it. Those cars can't pass up a shop, and they cost a fortune to repair (I use to own the kissing cousin ~ Dodge Stealth R/T Twin Turbo).
    They are reliability nightmares. Then again, what can you expect when you combine subpar early 90's Chrysler quality with the shittiest car company ever, Mitsubishi...

Silver
    1992 VR-4

my car is full BPU (boost controller, safc, turboback exhaust, high flow cat, intake) and ive run a 12.8. That being said, if hes still running the stock 9.7 psi for the 92's its prolly good for about 13.8 assuming its healthy.

as for reliability. yeah parts are expensive, but mines got 130k and its been great, and i dont think gm's reputation is exactly honda or toyota either.

Thread Information