Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

02 ws6 vs 05 mustang

This is a discussion on 02 ws6 vs 05 mustang within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I've raced three or four - one street race -the others were 1/8 mile races. I have also seen many ...

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

I've raced three or four - one street race -the others were 1/8 mile races. I have also seen many at the 1/4 mile track.

I won every race-- fairly easy.

I am not even that great of a driver - my best 1/4 mile is 13.76

I haven't seen a "stock" 05+ GT that was even in the 13s. (Not saying they aren't out there) but the couple I have raced and saw at the track, they aren't really competition. I mean sure if you make a major mistake and they drive very well, Yes, it is drivers race. But if you can consistantly run in the 13s-- You will have no problems.

NBM
    2000 WS6

A relative of mine has a 06 gt with a AT and runs 13.8 + or - a 100th consistantly with it..........(in 90 + degree heat too).........Stock
    2000 NBM WS6

/oo_________oo\
    |==_/_ws6_\_==|

><(((>`..`.><((((>

silver
    2002 ws6

awesome thanks! you're a gentlman and a scholar!

silver
    2002 ws6

any word on additional hp #s with grinding the bump stop?

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
    any word on additional hp #s with grinding the bump stop?
    Generally, the porting, polishing, and bump stop mod tend to give 4-7rwhp from the dyno tests I've seen. They do make a big throttle difference, and wake up your LS1 in upper RPMs. They all add up, and provide more power as you mod. Here's another bump stop link http://www.bowlingss.com/Mods/Instal...Stop%20Mod.mht and a good source of how to links http://www.bowlingss.com/LS1_How_To.htm

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto View Post
    A relative of mine has a 06 gt with a AT and runs 13.8 + or - a 100th consistantly with it..........(in 90 + degree heat too).........Stock

Auto transmission (stock ) into the 13s-- 90 degree heat?

Man "all" the ones I have raced and seen at the track must all suck. (scratching head???)

that relative of yours has a factory freak.

05+ Mustangs are either accurately rated @ 300 hp or slightly over rated from everything I have heard, and witnessed at the track.

It is a well known fact that the LS1 is underrated @ 325 hp (02 WS6) -

LS1 puts at least 300 to the ground. New GTs are lucky to put 275 hp to the ground, am I right, or am I way off?

The cars weigh about the same.

If I EVER lose to a truly stock Mustang GT I will know I screwed up royally, because it should never happen.

Not to mention that I raced a 2007 Mustang Shelby GT rated @ 325 HP - 5 speed - I beat it in the 1/8th of a mile by a car or so if I remember correctly, and I was slowly pulling away.

2009 Pontiac G8 GT
    Liquid Red

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    he will lose! but still, those things are quick!

I ran with my old 06 GT 13.43@103mph stock. it was like 65-70 degrees and i ran 13.6 with missing gear on 90 degrees heat. looked like heat didn't really effect that bad.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Stock 05-08 GTs post mid to high 13s on the Mustang forums with a good driver. Low 13s requires exhaust, slicks and a pulley or tune. Low 13s are much easier on an LS1, usually with just the free mods and some good tires.

With full exhaust and a programmer, assume he's probably low to mid 13s, and a formidable opponent for a stock LS1. Driver's race at this point in a short distance race. You get the advantage the further the race goes.

Do the free mods I mentioned earlier, and consider getting a lid ($100). Those will give you the edge. Full exhaust and you've got the scales tipped in your favor, much easier kill.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by doodad View Post
    he will lose! but still, those things are quick!

I ran with my old 06 GT 13.43@103mph stock. it was like 65-70 degrees and i ran 13.6 with missing gear on 90 degrees heat. looked like heat didn't really effect that bad.

I don't want to ruffle feathers here. But 13.6 MISSING a gear in 90 degree heat? Come on now.

How is that I have only managed a 13.7 (not proud of that at all btw)--out of my WS6 and I have never came across a stock Mustang GT that can beat me. I have raced several 99 - 2007! (yes I realize that covers two different models)

Suddenly on the Internet my car would get beat every time according to you guys

SO which is it? Did I race a bunch of idiots every single time, who couldn't drive at all, or is it more likely that the LS1 beats a stock Mustang GT every single time if the driving skills is fairly the same (not missing gears, or roasting the tires while sitting still)

Funny thing is, I raced a 05+ GT California Style (CS= basically a trim upgrade)at a light a few weeks ago, and I spun pretty bad and still out ran it (we raced up to about 70 mph)

I am not some "Mustang Hater here" I actually like the new Mustang alot. I just don't understand how ALL my personal experiences are the "exception to the rule"..

I find it more likely that I am right, and the few experiences that are being mentioned here are the exceptions.

One last example--- A guy I work with owns a 07 GT - 5 speed. He refuses to race me, but I have an accelorometer and I have managed a 0-60mph of 5.15 -- I think he managed a 5.95 0-60 mph.

I have already proven that I am not perfect driver--- Remember my best 1/4 mile time is 13.76 --- but for some reason that is always easily good enough for me to beat any Mustang GT.

silver
    2002 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    I don't want to ruffle feathers here. But 13.6 MISSING a gear in 90 degree heat? Come on now.

How is that I have only managed a 13.7 (not proud of that at all btw)--out of my WS6 and I have never came across a stock Mustang GT that can beat me. I have raced several 99 - 2007! (yes I realize that covers two different models)

SO which is it? Did I race a bunch of idiots every single time, who couldn't drive at all, or is it more likely that the LS1 beats a stock Mustang GT every single time if the driving skills is fairly the same (not missing gears, or roasting the tires while sitting still)

Funny thing is, I raced a 05+ GT California Style (CS= basically a trim upgrade)at a light a few weeks ago, and I spun pretty bad and still out ran it (we raced up to about 70 mph)

I am not some "Mustang Hater here" I actually like the new Mustang alot. I just don't understand how ALL my personal experiences are the "exception to the rule"..

I find it more likely that I am right, and the few experiences that are being mentioned here are the exceptions.

One last example--- A guy I work with owns a 07 GT - 5 speed. He refuses to race me, but I have an accelorometer and I have managed a 0-60mph of 5.15 -- I think he managed a 5.95 0-60 mph.

I have already proven that I am not perfect driver--- Remember my best 1/4 mile time is 13.76 --- but for some reason that is always easily good enough for me to beat any Mustang GT.
    hard to argue with experience...

Torch Red
    2007 Mustang GT

I have not had my Mustang at the track but I raced my mom on the street and she won. (she has a WS6) I don't care though, I still love my car. I did not buy it for racing. I was just curious how mine compared to hers.

BTW they are both stock.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by PonyBlaze View Post
    I have not had my Mustang at the track but I raced my mom on the street and she won. (she has a WS6) I don't care though, I still love my car. I did not buy it for racing. I was just curious how mine compared to hers.

BTW they are both stock.
    Congrats on having an 07 GT @ age 17.. Be careful--- I am glad to hear you didn't get this car to race. 17 years old and RWD Muscle cars don't typically mix well.

Be smart - have fun

Silver
    2003 GTI 1.8T :(

Red
    2001 Trans Am

kick his ass mustangs suck

silver
    2002 ws6

even if i lose for some reason at least i'm not driving an effin mustang

NBM
    2000 WS6

Auto transmission (stock ) into the 13s-- 90 degree heat?

Man "all" the ones I have raced and seen at the track must all suck. (scratching head???)

that relative of yours has a factory freak.

05+ Mustangs are either accurately rated @ 300 hp or slightly over rated from everything I have heard, and witnessed at the track.

It is a well known fact that the LS1 is underrated @ 325 hp (02 WS6) -

LS1 puts at least 300 to the ground. New GTs are lucky to put 275 hp to the ground, am I right, or am I way off?

The cars weigh about the same.

If I EVER lose to a truly stock Mustang GT I will know I screwed up royally, because it should never happen.

Not to mention that I raced a 2007 Mustang Shelby GT rated @ 325 HP - 5 speed - I beat it in the 1/8th of a mile by a car or so if I remember correctly, and I was slowly pulling away.
    I'm not happy about it But I'm the one he was taking by about a 100th of sec everytime..........

Did find out he has some kind of cold air package or whatever. I would have put my money on me either way... I would have lost.......

not everyone can drive. most GT owners i see at tracks are running 14s all day long and bolts on ones are still mid-low 13s.

I have video of me running 13.66@93mph (missed 4th gear and let the car roll to the finish line hence trap speed) but whoever taped it zoomed t the cars not the timeclock. I have no reasion to BS. If u would be racing against me, you would get beat 9 out of 10 races cuz i used to run consistent 13.5-13.6. I have posted times here somehwere when i ran those times. like 5-6 times in a row 13.6-13.5s

I have raced a catback only 99 camaro z28 and beat him too. I have always said, and LS1 is faster than new GTs when you compare the cars only.

I personally saw here a bone stock 01 trans am, automatic was running 13.1-13.0 consistent!

silver
    2002 ws6

mustangs are like babe ruths gay brother..... gabe ruth....

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by doodad View Post
    not everyone can drive. most GT owners i see at tracks are running 14s all day long and bolts on ones are still mid-low 13s.

I have video of me running 13.66@93mph (missed 4th gear and let the car roll to the finish line hence trap speed) but whoever taped it zoomed t the cars not the timeclock. I have no reasion to BS. If u would be racing against me, you would get beat 9 out of 10 races cuz i used to run consistent 13.5-13.6. I have posted times here somehwere when i ran those times. like 5-6 times in a row 13.6-13.5s

I have raced a catback only 99 camaro z28 and beat him too. I have always said, and LS1 is faster than new GTs when you compare the cars only.

I personally saw here a bone stock 01 trans am, automatic was running 13.1-13.0 consistent!

I don't know about 9 out of 10 times, i find that I drive better when I am lined up against real competition.

I've beat a 99 Auto Vette in the 1/8 before. I think I won because it truly was a drivers race, and I ran much better knowing I really wanted to win. And knowing that I always run my best when I am next to a 'stang. Because as I said before I just can't ever see myself losing to a stock GT no matter what year it is. My 13.76 has always been racing 12 second cars, or 14.5+ second cars, I have never lined up with real competition at the 1/4 mile track.

Did that make sense? If not I appologize.

Basically I tend to run better knowing I have to bring my "A" game if I am going to win, and save face.

I don't know about 9 out of 10 times, i find that I drive better when I am lined up against real competition.

I've beat a 99 Auto Vette in the 1/8 before. I think I won because it truly was a drivers race, and I ran much better knowing I really wanted to win. And knowing that I always run my best when I am next to a 'stang. Because as I said before I just can't ever see myself losing to a stock GT no matter what year it is. My 13.76 has always been racing 12 second cars, or 14.5+ second cars, I have never lined up with real competition at the 1/4 mile track.

Did that make sense? If not I appologize.

Basically I tend to run better knowing I have to bring my "A" game if I am going to win, and save face.
    again, if you are running 13.7s then a stock GT with a driver who knows what he is doing should beat you at track. now, if a driver who knows what he is doing gets in your car against a stock GT, shouldn't lose. when i went to track last year, i didnt know anybody and i said to my buddy who owns a mach 1 and knows a lot of people that i wanted to run a stock LS1 and he knew a guy with a bone stock to paper 99 blue regular trans am and we only got a chance to line up once and i ran 13.64@102mph and he ran 13.8@104mph. I beat him.

your car shoudnt lose to a stock GT but you may and if you do, don't be surprised, just work on your driver skills before mods and result will change.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information