02 nhra trans am sway bar

This is a discussion on 02 nhra trans am sway bar within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Hey all, The other day I measured the sways bars on my 02 nhra ta. The front measured in at ...

black
    02 trans am

02 nhra trans am sway bar

Hey all,

The other day I measured the sways bars on my 02 nhra ta. The front measured in at 35mm and the rear at 19mm. My question is why would this car of got a 35mm front bar? I thought those only came on firehawks. Both the bars are the original ones and the build sheets says nothing about sway bars. Any ideas on how I got lucky?

Thanks

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Are you the original owner? If not, maybe it was swapped for a larger bar.

I did a quick search for info on stock sway bar sizes and could only find this:

4th gen WS6 and SS swaybars are 32mm F and 19mm R
    Z28, Formula and Trans Am bars are 30mm F and 19mm R
    Unless this info is wrong or incomplete, it seems a non-WS6 T/A would've gotten a 30mm front bar from the factory.

black
    02 trans am

I found that same info as well. I am the second owner however, I'm close friends with the first owner. They told me the bar was never changed. That's why I'm confused as to how this happened. I have searched the web several times trying to find an answer

black
    02 trans am

Maybe the NHRA cars had a few special things that were not listed?

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 02nhrals1 View Post
    Maybe the NHRA cars had a few special things that were not listed?
    A 35mm sway bar size that is larger than what was put on WS6/SS cars and is available only in the aftermarket? Doubtful. I might believe a 32mm bar from the factory, but not a 35. Not for a car that got 16" wheels.

NHRA Special Edition Formula and Trans Am (2000-2002) (It was a commemorative edition to celebrate the NHRA's 50 year anniversary (in 2001), and Pontiac being a major sponsor of the NHRA for many years. In 2000 there was a total of 215 NHRA Firebirds produced, of which 97 were Formulas. In 2001 there was only 145 produced and in 2002 there were 535 produced. The total number produced is 895. The rarest is a few Formula Convertable NHRA SE models with like maybe 15 of them. Basically it comes with PS cooler(which all '02's have now), GSC's on 16". The autos came with 3.23's and 6 speeds came with the default 3.42. Nothing really except for the really cool badges. You could only get NHRAs in white, black, pewter, or red. Also, when you ordered a Formula / Trans Am, you had a choice between the WS6 or NHRA package. It was either or, and they could not be combined. Pontiac has been the Official Car of the NHRA since Oldsmobile's departure as Official Car at the end of the 1995 Season. The NHRA option added $1,070 - $1,095 to the sticker price and included (but not limited to) the following: Hurst manual 6-speed (3.42 ratio) or automatic transmission (3.23 ratio), power-steering cooling, P245/50ZR16 performance tires, and NHRA-specific badges & keychain. The appeal of the 1SH option package (NHRA Special Edition) is parallel to the appeal of any "anniversary edition" car or "special pace car edition." It is a special designation to commemorate the NHRA drag racing series. The NHRA badges were made by Morgan Design Group.)
    There is nothing here that indicates any suspension upgrade from a base T/A or Formula other than the tires, not even a WS6 sway bar.
    Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 03-25-2014 at 07:36 AM.

Thread Information