Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    02 trans am

02 LS1 with gm ac delco dexos 5W30

Has anyone tried the "new" Gm Dexos 5w30 in a ls1? my car has 80,00 mile on it and has only had conventional oil since new. I'm looking to get some more protection but I'm scared of going to a full syn because of reported leaks with late millage switch overs. Would the Dexos be a good fit? My gm truck seems to like it and I would only have to stock one type of oil at home.

Thanks

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Go buy some Penzoil Platinum full synthetic and stop worrying. The issues with synthetic oil were from so long ago that even an old guy like me can barely remember when that all went down.

black
    02 trans am

You really don't think I will see leaks and oil burning off by going to a full syn this late in the game?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

My understanding is that the "rules" for manufacturing petroleum products (like motor oil) are that the have to be interchangeable and even mixable. In other words, if I understand it correctly, you could run any brand or type of motor oil (per your application, of course) and it should be "fine."

Note that the quality of the product will be another story. Not all oils are created equal. Mobil1, for example, changed their formula and certain parts manufacturers stopped using them (Comp Cams, I think was one of the parts makers who stopped using/advocating Mobil1).

I switched from Mobil 1 to Amsoil, myself.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by 02nhrals1 View Post
    You really don't think I will see leaks and oil burning off by going to a full syn this late in the game?
    None whatsoever. I even run full synthetic in some of our older cars -- '70 Camaro, '87 Buick Regal Turbo, '85 Monte Carlo SS, '74 Corvette... not a one of them leaks oil because of the change.

black
    02 trans am

How old were those engines when you made the switch. Did they all have conventional oil before. Does anyone have any knowledge of the dexos oil?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Switch was made as long as 8 years ago on the Corvette, 6 years ago on the Monte Carlo, 3 years ago on the Regal and last year on the '70 as that is when the last two were acquired. All ran conventional oil previously. The dexos oil, which is a synthetic blend, will work just fine, as will any of the current synthetics on the market. I have been running Penzoil Platinum full synthetic in the Trans Am since 2010, and another brand synthetic prior to that since 2008. Not a clue what was run in it previously, but I would guess conventional motor oil.

For our vintage cars, the only problem with modern oils is the lack of any meaningful zinc content which can wreak havoc on old school flat tappet cam setups. Your car has a hydraulic roller cam, as do almost every other modern car these days that runs a push rod setup, and the lack of zinc is not an issue. I run a ZDDP additive in our old school cars (which has nothing to do with the engine seals) to protect the valvetrain.

black
    02 trans am

Thanks for the info. I wonder how the Delco synthetic blend compares to other leading name brand motor oils. It must be pretty good GM is putting in all of their cars at the dealerships, right?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check out "Bob is the oil guy" and I am certain you will find some chatter about it.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

All I know is my engine builder, Tick Performance said go with Valvoline VR1
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

VR1 seems to be real popular with guys running aftermarket cams and heads or full blown custom built engines like you have.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    VR1 seems to be real popular with guys running aftermarket cams and heads or full blown custom built engines like you have.
    Yep they told me conventional VR1 will work just fine but if I want synthetic use the synthetic version of it.

black
    02 trans am

I'm gonna try the ac delco dexos. Bob is the oil guy had a lot of good things to say about it

black
    02 trans am

So I have put about 500 miles on the car since the last oil change. The ACDelco synthetic blend noticeably quieted down the common cold start LS1 piston slap. As a matter fact it pretty much eliminated it. So far there are no leaks or consumption issues, what I see any additional benefits from going over to a full synthetic or should I just stick with what I'm doing?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Longer oil change interval.

black
    02 trans am

Just completed a successful season on the new oil. The ls1 is running quieter then ever and have noticed zero consumption or leaks. I put on about 1100 miles this year. Should I keep running the ac delco synthetic blend or should I move to a pennzoil Platinum or other full synthetic for next year? Pennzoil seems to put big money into marketing because their commercials have me wondering if I'm sort changing my baby lol

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

My understanding regarding synthetic blends is that they are conventional oil with "synthetic" additives. I have been on full synthetic for a while. I currently run Z-Rod (Amsoil) and the wear and tear on the engine has been reduced significantly (based on the amount of shrapnel on the drain bolt when I do the oil change--since running the Z-rod, there is basically no shrapnel/shavings at all).

However, I'm not sure Z-Rod is ideal for a stock engine. If you get rid of the cats, then I'd recommend it, but Zinc is "supposedly" bad for the cats if it gets in there.

2001 WS6

I had an 86 GN I purchased in 92 from a meticulous owner. Soon I went to Mobil 1 for the turbo which only went to 15 psi. Then the rear main seal started to leak. I ran a 160 stat and seemed like the hotter the engine got especially in the summer, the more it leaked and I eventually had to change the rear main seal. That's why I am sketchy about putting it in my 58K LS1 that had questionable maintenance before I got it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

black
    02 trans am

My ls1 got regular maintenance prior to me owning it. I have service records showing oil changes every 3000 miles. However, like you, I'm still a little sketchy about the change to a full synthetic. The car seems to love this ACDelco synthetic blend which is a dexos approved oil so it must be pretty good. All of these synthetics like Valvoline synpower and Pennzoil Platinum just have me wondering if I would be better protecting my car about using one of them

2001 WS6

I'm sure you could get plenty of miles out of a properly maintained vehicle using regular oil, however the synthetic benefits are real especially during start ups and in cold environments. I haven't seen a test on a blend to see the flow rate in cold weather and so on. I can't even find the percentage of synthetic in blends. Now I am thinking of using Magnatec and full synthetic at a 50-50 blend. They are compatible and at least then I know what's in the car, maybe it's not enough to start pissing out the rear main seal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information