Midnight Blue
    01 TA WS-6 Conv

01 WS6 not starting, no fire, intermitant

I'm thinking fuel pump. But till it quits I hate spend $500 bucks to fix something that's not the problem. I can hear the pump running even when it will not start. When it starts it runs strong and smooth with sputtering or lag at all. I have a pressure gauge but don't always have it on, but when I do it reads about 54psi when cranking then falls to 50psi. the check engine ans security lights are the only ones lit when cranking but then they both go off and neither comes on again. If I crank it long enough the security light goes off. I usually let off after a few seconds let it pump a few seconds then try again and again and again at which time it usually fires and runs perfect. If I shut it off and restart it, it starts perfectly. I have never had a check engine light stay on after it starts.

Sorry for the long post but this has been going on for some time and it's very frustrating. I hoped that by letting it go and keep driving it that it would go ahead and go out then I would replace it. The car is a third vehicle and I don't drive it much and even less since I can not trust it but it's time to get this fixed so I can enjoy the car more. Please help with some Ideas.

Midnight Blue
    01 TA WS-6 Conv

pressure is now...

I went out this morning to check the pressure again, since it has not started the last two times i tried, it is pumping up to 51 psi then as soon as it quits pumping it falls to 48 psi. If I try to crank while it's still pumping it falls to 48 then jumps back to 51.
    I'm positive that this pump is going out but it's just happy to piss me off by keeping me wondering about it. Isn't there a minimum psi it has to reach before it will fire?

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Your fuel pressure sounds a little low, have you checked/replaced the fuel filter?

Midnight Blue
    01 TA WS-6 Conv

yes

I put a fuel filter on and it did not seem to help.

So after trying to start it and it doesn't start you re engage the key and it starts ? btw whats the milage ? Anything north of 80k and Id check the fuel pump. it is only a few hundred bucks btw.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Midnight Blue
    01 TA WS-6 Conv

It doesn't always start when letting off and trying again. Most times it takes several tries IF it does start. I just filled up to about 3/4 tank and my problems got worse. I have noticed that just turning the key on the pressure goes up to 51 or 52 psi when it stops running it falls to 48 or so. If I try to start it while it's still running it drops to 48 psi and stays there till I stop cranking.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

You should be seeing around 58 psi at the rails. With no obstructions in the fuel lines and a new fuel filter, it sounds like the fuel pump is faulty.

Black
    1998 Trans AM

crank the car and if it does not start keep cranking and have someone get under the car and bang on the gas tank with a hammer while still cranking. if it starts it deff. the pump. u wouldnt have to buy the whole unit just the pump that probably cost around 100$$

I bought a walbro 255 ?, it was just the pump, I had to jimmy rig it but it worked !, t/g,

Midnight Blue
    2001 WS6 TRANS AM

I just posted this somewhere else too.. I have a 01 ws6 with 14k miles that had the same problems.. One day run like shit and next be fine with no codes. I finally figured out it was 5 bad relays in the fuse box. I would have to look to remember the numbers but I think they ran fans, ign. After I replaced them not a problem since, and its been a year and a half. I bought them all from NAPA for $7 each.

Midnight Blue
    01 TA WS-6 Conv

Might have fixed it...

I put a battery tender on it the other day just to make sure it was charged for my friend to come look at it. I left it on for about 10 hours till I took it off to show my wife what it was doing and it fired perfectly. I drove it the next day running errands with lots of restarts at several places, not one time did it give me problems. So over the next few days I just drove it like I stole it and it ran fine. I went out and bought a new battery hoping it could be the problem although it doesn't make alot of sense to me. I had this problem on a sport bike years ago but not every heard of this on a car. I brought home the battery and put it in. The first time I tried to start it it failed again. I put the charger on it thinking the battery was new but weak to start. After about an hour it has started every time I tried it for several days now.

Does this make sense or is it still just a matter of chance and my time is coming to put a new fuel pump in?

Red
    2001 Trans Am

RELAYS RELAYS RELAYS!! THESE MOTHER FUK!N CHEAP ASS GARBAGE GM RELAYS!!

Mine did this to me also 2 years ago just after I bought it, I troubleshot everything: ignition, injectors, VATS... everything.

Intermittent start issue?- replace relays. I spent weeks troubleshooting mine.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

if it will not start and throws no codes, damn relays.

Midnight Blue
    01 TA WS-6 Conv

Thanks Guys

Thanks for the help, Looks like I will be buying some more parts the next time It screws up. How many are there and should I buy all of them at once to just solve the problem?

Collector Yellow (54U)
    2002 Trans Am CE

I had some intermittent starting problems that lasted 2 months till I got it solved thanks to LS1tech. It was the ignition relay.
    2002 Trans Am Collector Edition WS6 ASC# 619
    Coupe | Collector Yellow on Ebony Leather | A4 | TCS | #126 of 510 T-Top w/A4 made
    CETA 619 "The Falcon"

Collector Edition Owner Site: www.collectorfbody.com

Midnight Blue
    01 TA WS-6 Conv

it was the ignition relay!! I waited to make sure that was the problem was fixed and since I don't drive it much it took awhile. I want to thank you all for the help and it didn't cost me a dime.
    Thanks again!!

Yellow - Silver
    2002 CETA - 2002 TA WS6

Again thanks guys, worked like a charm.
    2002 CETA convertible - 6 speed

Thread Information