Thread: 00 T/A problems

black
    2000 trans am ws6

Unhappy 00 T/A problems

first off, somtimes when i go to start the car up, it doesnt even crank. everything else goes on but it just wont crank for a while, eventually it does but i think theres something screwd up with the ignition switch..

Next, the front left headlight has stoped going up and down. at first it would only work if i was lucky, now i just need to use it manually. anybody got some help for me??? THANK YOU

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 6sw00
    first off, somtimes when i go to start the car up, it doesnt even crank. everything else goes on but it just wont crank for a while, eventually it does but i think theres something screwd up with the ignition switch..

Next, the front left headlight has stoped going up and down. at first it would only work if i was lucky, now i just need to use it manually. anybody got some help for me??? THANK YOU
    Does it make like a grinding noise when you flip the lights on? If yes, well it's your gear, if not its your motor.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

well it used to just work out of nowhere.. but that was just weird.. it doesnt even try anymore, no noise. checked the fuse nd shyt so i guess the last resort is the motor..

black
    2000 trans am ws6

also, how hard is it to change on my own??

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

also, how hard is it to change on my own??
    Real easy. I believe there is a walk through in the 'net on how to take the headlight motor out of firebirds. It's about an hour job, max.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

i have seen something thats step by step but it was on like a 94 or somethin on f body.. the setup is a lil different.

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

make sure that you have got good electrical connections to the starter as well...may be the root of the not wanting to start all the tie problem youve got

black
    2000 trans am ws6

im starting to think that may be the problem.. today i had m headlights up, left side manually, and when i turned them off, they both went down..

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

i have seen something thats step by step but it was on like a 94 or somethin on f body.. the setup is a lil different.
    I've seen one on 98-up firebird but either or the steps should be similar.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

aight cool..

registered cobra eater

black
    2000 Trans Am

I had the same problem with the whole not starting issue, turns out the anti theft wires that go into the ignition swith were bad and were only getting a good connection half the time. Looking back now my security light was on when i turned the key to start so if yours is on that could be the problem.... but with something like that it could be thousands of differant things..... good luck tho

black
    2000 trans am ws6

hmm. could that have been a recall? what was the process of fixing urs, and how much was it? thanx for the reply.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

I'd look into the anti theft thing too. I had a Mazda years ago with intermittent starting problems and I spent 2 months with my local shop trying to get it to work. they replaced all sorts of parts including 3 different alternators before they gave up and told me it was "fixed."

A couple days later when the problem returned I brought the car into the Mazda dealer and they had it fixed in 5 minutes for free telling me they simply removed the igition kill wires. :P

black
    2000 trans am ws6

hm.. interesting.. i now also noticed that the front left blinker light is off when the parking lights are on.. i recently had changed the bulbs on both sides so i kno its not the bulb. it works fine when i use the blinker. im starting to think its the whole electrical system and now im gettin nervous.. i want to bring it to the dealer so they can fix everything but i dont want to pay the millions they cost..

registered cobra eater

black
    2000 Trans Am

They had to replace both the anit theft wires going into my ignition, new ignitiong column, re-etch the keys + labor all in all it was just over 400. Hope it is a cheaper fix then mine cuz it was a real pain in the butt.... good luck

black
    2000 trans am ws6

wow... thanx for the info.

BLACK
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

I had that problem with my car , i checked up the wiring and found a bad /lose connection on the fuse marked "start" (i think it is start) in the engine bay.After i fixed this, problem has never occured anymore.
    Last edited by vikingramair; 05-24-2006 at 08:34 PM.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by KillerTA00
    They had to replace both the anit theft wires going into my ignition, new ignitiong column, re-etch the keys + labor all in all it was just over 400. Hope it is a cheaper fix then mine cuz it was a real pain in the butt.... good luck
    Should of just bypassed it....25 cent fix

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Might try having the key checked out. My 91 Bird had that starting issue. What was happening was the computer was reading the wrong resistance from the little peice of wire implanted on the key and when it reads that wrong the computer assumes you are trying to steal the car and disables the ignition for a set period of time (5 or 10 minutes??) then resets itself and can potentially be started again. I ended up just getting a new key made for like $25 but it has to be made with the proper resistance. Hope that helps. Again this was on a '91 Bird, so could be something entirely different. If you have any way of finding out what your key's resistance should be, check it to see if its putting out the proper resistance, if not, there's your problem.

black
    2000 trans am ws6

thanx...

Thread Information