Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

0-60

This is a discussion on 0-60 within the Firebird / WS6 forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Mecinoid The driver gets better? No really reducing the retriction on our cars takes away torque but ...

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    The driver gets better?

No really reducing the retriction on our cars takes away torque but adds a little HP so it's just about a trade off. Maybe less torque helps with the driver hooking up. I'm playing the devil's advocate here.

I will say there is a lot better way to spend $500 for the performance on our cars. However, most people buy an exhaust system just to enrich the sound coming out of those twin exhaust pipes.
    Hes right lol. I gained both a bit. The ws6 exhaust is almost as restrictive as base T/A exhaust. Its not that great as far as hp/trq numbers go.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^More proof here, Meciniod. The stock stuff may flow alright, and may not even be a huge restriction until some real power is there, but there is still some room for improvement from stock. The manufacturer has noise restrictions to consider....

White
    1998 Trans Am

So hear is the though. You may gain a few HP with a catback. Lets get real most of us buy them because the factory exhaust tips look like crap and most of us want a more powerful sound as apposed to that pathetic factory sound.

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

I should have said loses torque down low. Doh !!! There is a whole bunch of dynamics here. But, in our cars this statement holds true.

I do agree that the stock muffler and major turns at the end of the pipes are restrictive. Hence the cutout / Hooker Aero Chamber installed.

I do stand corrected ... torque move up the rpm range but, you don't lose the total torque number generally. Total torque can be lost in some cases if you go to the extreme or if you do not retune once you have installed your header / larger pipes. This shows up in older cars as having to change your timing and move up a jet size or two for compensation of the fuel/air ratio.

The point I was trying to make is torque down low is reduced and this is what help you in the 60's a lot of times. But, if you can't hook up it doesn't matter if you have tons of torque.

NOS isn't a bad way to spend $500 for performance. It's a lot better bag for buck over exhaust. I'd rather install a S/C and was just told by a good shop that has installed many that your HP improvement with headers are at the most 20HP. That's a $1200 investment. Again not a good power to $ choice. But, one that makes my ear feel good. I'll keep installing headers but, I won't lie to myself about HP gains.
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 06-01-2009 at 11:45 PM.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

i dunno how accurate it was when i tried it. but it was consistent...we used the cheap one that only did HP, TQ, and 0 -60

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by waldo View Post
    Sorry I havenít chimed in sooner, Iíve been in Fl. finalizing a CAR on the shuttles SRBÖ. finally finished!!!! Rather than get into a big debate (I did say this would open a can of worms) I will ask you smart people what takes place when you replace the stock exhaust? They retune your car. Yup, thatís right, your car gets a new tune. Hhmmm, something sounds funny here, you thinking about the last statement? This is the last time Iíll inject anything into this thread, thatís correct, the last time so be happy. Keep handing all your hard earned dollars over for that load unrestricted exhaust system.

Sincerely,

Waldo, the professional engineer nerd.
    I haven't had my car tuned yet......it was faster at the drag strip after I changed my muffler only. I gained roughly 3/4 MPH average. Not a lot, I agree, but an improvement-the-less. Before muffler, I was consistently 104.5-106 MPH. After, I was high 105s to high 106s. Now that I have my Hooker LTs and ORY, MPH is 107s to 109.8. Still no tune, tho I do want one badly, I'm waiting for an LS6 intake. I'm not going to debate anyone about torque loss/movement in the RPM range, all I know is that trap speeds don't lie.

My goal is to go faster than 110 MPH in the quarter, under 13 seconds with my street tires, and still get my current 25-28 MPG highway.

Arctic White, red/gray

I dont know what i picked up with jsut exhaust, but stock i ran a 13.3 at 106mph, with lid, hooker catback and logn tubes i picked up 4mph and shaved off almost .6. Those are best runs with those mods

Black
    99 WS6

Maybe Waldo will question his math when he gets walked by a TA with full exhaust

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I wish I could be there for the race.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Ok, hereís the deal, Zinergy, youíre in Milwaukee Iím in Pleasant Prairie so letís meet up at Great Lakes Dragaway and run our cars. My car is a vert, stock except for lid, cut-out and a great tune. Yes, I have a cut-outÖ. I like the noise! Based on your post you should beat me easily. Due to your great mods and me for the most part stock Iíll ask for .6 and race best of three for 200.00 Deal? Wednesday is open racing at GLD. If you have other mods to your car weíll need to rethink the .6 this would be a motor only race. I selected .6 to make this a drivers race, after all it is what your exhaust has done for you, right? both will use street tires.
    Your tune will gain you more than a cat-back will. Tune + cat back = even more HP! BTW, I wish I had a cut out, or dual cutouts! Love the noise (music!) also.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^Hey you, who you laughing at. You laughing at me? My cousin Vinny might just pay you a visit. Just because you have a fast car, don't you laugh at us 12.99 cars. At least we still get over 25 MPG higway!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Laughing at the thread as a whole.

I get 20MPG on the highway still.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

LOL that's what I thought. Impressive you still get 20. Nice tune the car has, eh.

Arctic White, red/gray

Ok, here’s the deal, Zinergy, you’re in Milwaukee I’m in Pleasant Prairie so let’s meet up at Great Lakes Dragaway and run our cars. My car is a vert, stock except for lid, cut-out and a great tune. Yes, I have a cut-out…. I like the noise! Based on your post you should beat me easily. Due to your great mods and me for the most part stock I’ll ask for .6 and race best of three for 200.00 Deal? Wednesday is open racing at GLD. If you have other mods to your car we’ll need to rethink the .6 this would be a motor only race. I selected .6 to make this a drivers race, after all it is what your exhaust has done for you, right? both will use street tires.
    I would love too but i sold my T/A in april. After me and my girl split and losing her income along with paying child support it had to go. I plan to have another as soon as i sell my legacy. So sorry i cant race you, i cna race you in my legacy or my F4i. The supra has no engine in it ATM. But no T/A anymore sorry

Eitherway i dont understand how you cna argue the fact that exhaust helps, when there have been many dyno charts and time slips to prove exhaust components free up hp and trq.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 06-02-2009 at 03:15 PM.

Ok, hereís the deal, Zinergy, youíre in Milwaukee Iím in Pleasant Prairie so letís meet up at Great Lakes Dragaway and run our cars. My car is a vert, stock except for lid, cut-out and a great tune. Yes, I have a cut-outÖ. I like the noise! Based on your post you should beat me easily. Due to your great mods and me for the most part stock Iíll ask for .6 and race best of three for 200.00 Deal? Wednesday is open racing at GLD. If you have other mods to your car weíll need to rethink the .6 this would be a motor only race. I selected .6 to make this a drivers race, after all it is what your exhaust has done for you, right? both will use street tires.
    My money is on Waldo. At the best you get 20HP. That doesn't equal 3/4 mph in the quarter or .6 imo. But, if the car has had a professional tune. You might just get .6 from that alone. So, it's important to know ALL of the facts.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post

If changing the exhaust is a waste of $$$, please tell me why people say the dyno tells them different. Or why the track times improve with a cat-back. On otherwise stock cars.
    It's not a waste of money if you like the sound. It's just not a good $ to HP investment really.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    That is a very incorrect statement. You do not loose torque. You gain both and move your powerband up higher in the RPMs.
    OK look at the curve at 2500rpm and tell me what you see after JUST a exhaust change. No tune etc... Common' this is common knowledge for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I would love too but i sold my T/A in april. After me and my girl split and losing her income along with paying child support it had to go. I plan to have another as soon as i sell my legacy. So sorry i cant race you, i cna race you in my legacy or my F4i. The supra has no engine in it ATM. But no T/A anymore sorry

Eitherway i dont understand how you cna argue the fact that exhaust helps, when there have been many dyno charts and time slips to prove exhaust components free up hp and trq.
    OK show us one before a tune ... just pipes. Say a baseline ... Then, of course you have prove it was just the pipes and before the tune in the program. That is of course you bothered to do a baseline with your stock motor before any pipes or tune you may have done. It's like arguing with little children. It's really hard to prove this point online. Get out there and try it yourself. Then you will know for yourself. I've actually done a bunch. When your car is running like crap/slower after just pipes you'll know. Now ONCE again you retune... It's a different story.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    It's not a waste of money if you like the sound. It's just not a good $ to HP investment really.
    Sounds like you just admitted here that changing the cat-back actually does improve HP, but it's not a really cost effective thing. I agree to that! And most people change it because they want a more aggressive sound or different tips out the back, and the nominal HP increase is a benefit.

A lid is very cost effective.

As far as a tune, cars that use a MAF are self tuning to an extent.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information