Thread: $8,000?

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

$8,000?

Is the differences between the WS6 and Trans Am worth $8,000 extra? I've been seriously looking into stepping up from the v6. I love the look of the car and I'm ready for some performance, so I'm looking at a 98-02 T/A. I've found a few on craigslist that I'm considering. The first one is a regular Trans Am: http://denver.craigslist.org/car/723131903.html

The second is the WS6 with approximately 7,000 more miles on it and it's an 02 compared to an 00: http://denver.craigslist.org/car/725434152.html

I could probably get the 00 down to $11,000 or so and the other down to probably $18,500. Is the differences in the cars really worth that much? the transmission isn't a big deal to me, as it's going to be driven daily and not really turned into a "racecar". Would it be cheaper to buy the 00 and make it a WS6 clone?

Finally, for my V6, how much do you think I could get for it? It's a 01 with 47,xxx miles on it and in near perfect condition(a few dings here and there. it was my DD this winter). t tops, monsoon, power everything. Looking at the prices on craigslist,autotrader and cars.com, firebirds with 20,000+ more miles than mine are selling for $6,000-$9,000. Do you think I may be able to squeeze out $9,500-$10,000? Thanks

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

YES! it's much cheaper to make a t/a into a ws6 [or ws.7 as many have dubbed it, so as not to impose on true ws.6's]

keep in mind, most ws.6 owners ripout/replace the ws.6 components anyway since they really aren't that much better. Quick mod list that will put you past a stock ws.6:

the hood is the most expensive part
    koni shocks
    35 mm front sway bar
    aftermarket air lid and K&N filter
    any aftermarket rims
    higher flowing exhaust

Black
    '98 Z28

Yeah, definitely not worth the extra $8000. I bet you could get the first one down to 10. As far as you car goes, I honestly can't see you getting more than $6,000 for it. Right now seems like the time to buy, not sell. I don't know what your market looks like, but a lot of cars are just sitting and not selling here.

I'd almost list it as a great deal and maybe the price will go up if you have multiple offers.

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

not too many firebirds are listed around here so it's definitly hard to judge the market,but I've watched them for a couple of months and it seems to be $6,000-$9000 like i said in my original post. there was a 2002 with 69,000 miles at a dealership that they were asking $9395 for and just sold this week. I'll probably try listing it at around $8,500 and see where it goes from there. Kelley Blue Book lists the car at $10,005 in good condition and even $9,125 in fair condition.

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    YES! it's much cheaper to make a t/a into a ws6 [or ws.7 as many have dubbed it, so as not to impose on true ws.6's]

keep in mind, most ws.6 owners ripout/replace the ws.6 components anyway since they really aren't that much better. Quick mod list that will put you past a stock ws.6:

the hood is the most expensive part
    koni shocks
    35 mm front sway bar
    aftermarket air lid and K&N filter
    any aftermarket rims
    higher flowing exhaust
    you're talking about just the K&N filter right, not the high intake kit...if so then i'm already a step there. I have a K&N filter in my bird and their the same part number for the T/A.
    Last edited by LgndKller20073; 06-19-2008 at 09:53 PM.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

If you can drop the guy down to $17,500 get the 02'. It is the last year model, it has a 6-speed, the 00' doesn't have the LS6 intake, the 02' does. There are other minor upgrades that a WS6 has as previously mentioned. Your going to spend at least $1k to get a WS6 hood with paint along with 300-500 for an LS6 intake if you decide to mod. From the pictures, the WS6 appears to be in better condition as well. I agree with the guy above, I don't see you getting more than $6k for your V6 Firebird.
    Last edited by fbird777; 06-19-2008 at 11:05 PM.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

all depends on what your plans are for the car. If you have no big desire to mod it (i.e. exhaust, intake, cam ) then a WS6 would probably be a better deal. Now if your your plans are to make the car more unique with mods (i.e. rims, aftermarket hood, springs, shocks, "engine mods") the a base TA is the way to go.

Personally unless it is a CETA or 30th then the base TA or Formula is the best bang for the buck. Like the guys said WS6 is more of an appearance packge then anything, the suspension on a WS6 is going get changed by your average person anyways so why pay extra.

Bought mine as a base line TA and I get just as many if not more compliments on it as most other WS6s. granted mine doesn't look like your average TA either and I got the receipts to show for it LOL

But then again the WS6 is a 6 six speed ....
    Last edited by QKSLVR99; 06-20-2008 at 10:30 AM. Reason: adding

PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

Go m6 ftw better gas miles better geared rear sharper looks lighter hood

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am A4

That WS6 is not worth $8k more. You'd be much better off spending half that difference in mods. You could do so many mods for $4k that would make that car unbelieveable (ram air hood, new intake, headers, catback exhaust, new gearing, stall, shift kit, tranny cooler, SFC's, new suspension, rims, etc). Also, I like the silver T/A better than pewter. After having a black T/A, I wish I had found a silver car. Black looks sexy when its clean, but that only lasts a few hours until it starts collecting dust. I'll bet you could get the 2000 for closer to $10k if you barter with him.
    1998 Trans Am, A4, SLP Loudmouth I, US Exotics WS9 ram air hood, Volant intake, 3.23's, 70k miles

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

go with the T/A, be proud to have one, not knocking the ws6 guys, but so many people make theirs into ws7's even the V6. Bottom line is they have the same power plant and are all driver's races between models. I say get some mods, save yourself some cash, and be a little bit of a sleeper. like the other guys said, not worth it cause the mod bug will get you and you will wind up replacing all of it anyways and figuring out what a waste of money that extra 8g's were. Hell i'm thinking about getting a V6 or firebird badge on mine cause i can't catch a race around here to save my life.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Definitely not worth 8K more, especially not with 7k more miles.

8k is alot for a hood and wheels, which are the only visual differences. As far as suspension, aftermarket is better anyway, and that also goes for the factory ram air.

I'd go with the T/A, and go with the WS6 or Raptor hood, and aftermarket wheels, which most people go with anyway.

As far as the LS6 intake, you can get them all over the place for 300 bucks, but unless you plan on further mods, it's probably not even worth the trouble of switching intakes anyway.

Yes, the '02 is the last year made, and a real WS6, but if you DD it your going to put wear and tear on it that will de-value any potential collector value it may have.

Go with the T/A, save a lot of money, and enjoy it.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

buy the base model and put the extra 8k into mods to make it one bad ass car. imo
    SLP LT's, SLP High Flow Cats, 3" Flowmaster CB, Comp Cam, SLP Lid, LS6 Intake, BBK 80mm TB, SFC, Ram Air HO Hood, Lowered, Torq Thrust II's

Arctic White
    2001 Firebird

I think I'm going to end up going with the trans am for a couple reasons now.

1. My parents have never had a manual for me to learn on so I still don't know how to drive one and I don't want to put a ton of wear on the clutch in the WS6.

2. It depends on how much my v6 will sell for. I would need it to sell for $10,000 to have enough money to pay for the WS6 without having to take out a loan and I don't think that's going to happen.

3. I'm not really planning on modding a whole lot right now. It's going to be my DD at least until I'm done with college. Probably after college I'll consider modding it, but that's still 3 years away.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by LgndKller20073 View Post
    I think I'm going to end up going with the trans am for a couple reasons now.

1. My parents have never had a manual for me to learn on so I still don't know how to drive one and I don't want to put a ton of wear on the clutch in the WS6.

2. It depends on how much my v6 will sell for. I would need it to sell for $10,000 to have enough money to pay for the WS6 without having to take out a loan and I don't think that's going to happen.

3. I'm not really planning on modding a whole lot right now. It's going to be my DD at least until I'm done with college. Probably after college I'll consider modding it, but that's still 3 years away.
    Good call!

You're making the right choice.

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am M6

^

Thread Information