Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 59 of 59

Z28 vs SS - Suggestions

This is a discussion on Z28 vs SS - Suggestions within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by chevyracerno01 Just do like I did buy a '02 Z28 and put in a Zoops LS6 Crate ...

  1. #41
    Member mnypitZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deland
    Posts
    215

    Cayenne Red Metallic
    98 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by chevyracerno01 View Post
    Just do like I did buy a '02 Z28 and put in a Zoops LS6 Crate engine, It's got 525 RWHP No SS or Corvette on the planet can touch it!
    Thats a pretty bold statement. 525RWHP is really not hard to achieve on an LS1 f-body. Dont be surprised if there are more out there than you think.

    Either way, I had this choice to make myself. I had in the neigborhood of $26000 total to spend and ended up finding a super clean Cayenne Red Metallic 98 Z28 for $3600. It had 120k on it but I didnt care because my intent was to mod it anyway, so eventually not much will stay stock. I really bought it for the color. I didnt see any SS cars in anything other than red black or white. At least not that I was willing to spend the money on anyway. I saved so much money I was able to do heads, cam, LTs, ORY, and a whole slew of suspension and bolt ons. SS wheels and nittos all the way around. And I was also able to get a nice new bar/outdoor kitchen built on my pool deck with a kegerator and fridge and grill built in.

    If you keep your eyes open you can find parts used in perfect condition. I bought my wheels and tires used, but like brand new, for $650. The tires cost that much new, so it was like getting the rims free.

    Either way, if you dont care for the SS hood then dont waste your money on an SS. Most aftermarket performance parts are as good if not better than what you get on the SS package.

  2. #42
    Senior Member slims00ls1z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,212

    2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

    If you are buying to make an investment buy gold or stocks. A car's value drops quicker than a prostitute's underwear on a Friday night. Buy the Z, mod the Z and have fun.
    My Toy 00 Z28 1SC A4 - MS3 cam with supporting valvetrain, Milled LS6 heads, LS7 lifters, , ARP rod and mains, All free mods, pacesetters, True duals, moser 9 with 4.11's and Detroit Locker, Vig 3600 tuned, tubular SFC,adj PHR, LCA, adj TA, PHR reloc, LCA reloc. all with poly bushings, ZR1's and Nitto DR's (315).

    My other toy 05 GTO LS2 M6- Comp XR269HR cam, 918's, hardened pushrods, Dart Pro 1's, pacesetters, X-pipe, flowmaster 1 chambers, TSP oil pump, Tick master cylinder. Pedders RR bushings, end links, SB bushings, tie rods and strut mounts, total performance poly F&R bushings. Polk DVC 12", Infinity Kappa 6.5 component and 6x9's with corresponding amps.

    Her toy 77 F100-6.6/c6. All original (for now)

  3. #43
    M6 King Hot Black Trans-Am's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    5,085
    Blog Entries
    1

    09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

    I'd get which ever one you can find a better deal on. I really recommend considering the T/A option though. The hood, spoiler and badges are really the only parts I'd keep over the Z-28 if I got a SS.

  4. #44
    LS1 or bust b.lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    SE, Michigan
    Posts
    701

    Blue
    00 Z28 6Spd / 03 Z71 LT

    An SS is actually over rated HP wise.
    They say they are 345hp but there more like 320-330hp.

    Id get the cheapest, lowest mileage, either Z28, SS, T/A, Vette, Etc.
    I wouldn't spend over $10k, then dump the rest of the cash into mods.
    Big cam, intake, headers....maybe even a 383ci crank and a set of nice heads.
    00 Z28 M6 T-tops
    00 SS A4 T-tops (Sold)
    99 Corvette M6 (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 Coupe (Sold)
    98 Z28 A4 T-tops (Sold)

  5. #45
    I Like It Stroked 99Ls1fever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Greeley,Co
    Posts
    1,006

    Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

    I actaully was in this exact same place as you where a couple months ago. The ss camaro where more expensive and had more miles on them. the z28's were cheaper and had less miles on them. I bought a z28 and spent 300 and had the ram air put on and got rid of the cats and mufflers for free and i can keep right next to the ss' s at the track.
    99 Camaro z28 dynoed saturday 338.4 hp and 344.2 trq
    Camaro was bought with 50,600 miles 6 speed $10k, SS was $12k 90,000 miles

  6. #46
    Member danziger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    570

    Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

    Quote Originally Posted by chevyracerno01 View Post
    Just do like I did buy a '02 Z28 and put in a Zoops LS6 Crate engine, It's got 525 RWHP No SS or Corvette on the planet can touch it!
    I'll take that bet...

  7. #47
    Member danziger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    570

    Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

    Quote Originally Posted by b.lee View Post
    An SS is actually over rated HP wise.
    They say they are 345hp but there more like 320-330hp.
    ALL LS1s make around 345-350HP. Any number that was released by GM was purely for marketing purposes. There is virtually zero difference between rwhp for the Z28 and SS unless the SS has SLP options on it. Once again, ALL LS1 F-bodys were underrated for HP.

  8. #48
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Huskerz1 View Post
    Right on brother!
    Buy a Z, keep it a Z, make it a badass Z, and don't be a CLONE!

    Or

    Buy an SS
    I don't see why z owners can't get a ss hood or spoiler if they wish...i can usually tell the diff. unless they put ss badges on it too.

  9. #49
    Junior Member baze112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    5

    Blue
    2001 Z28 M6

    One thing that hasn't been mentioned which will help in the long run, is Insurance. Insurance on an SS will be higher for your age bracket than the Z will be. Dont get me wrong you'll still pay but not as much. Then you will have more money to pay for your mods... haha just my $0.02

  10. #50
    I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Standish,Maine
    Age
    51
    Posts
    560

    Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

    I had a 98 Z28, and now have a non-SLP 2000 SS. And from what I can tell, the only diffs. are the hood, spoiler, and wheels. They ride the same, pull the same, and sound the same. The only diff. in exhaust is tips, they have the same muffler.

    If your not interested in the looks of an SS, buy a Z28 and do your own personal mods/make it stand out from everybody elses.
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

    http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

  11. #51
    I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Standish,Maine
    Age
    51
    Posts
    560

    Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Ovechkin~Monk View Post
    Either way you won't lose....Z or SS.

    SS=More exclusive. You will be part of a small "club" of sorts.

    Z=Basically same performance, not as exclusive, but still rocking for less dough.

    My opinion, if you find an SS.....swipe it up. If you don't, a Z28 is just as good.

    I don't think I helped much.
    I agree

  12. #52
    Member Kup98ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Carolina
    Age
    38
    Posts
    604

    Arctic White
    2002 A4,WS6

    When it comes down to which car to choose don't look at it like Z28 vs. SS. Look for the best over all price and most importantly the condition of the car.

  13. #53
    Member mnypitZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deland
    Posts
    215

    Cayenne Red Metallic
    98 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by baze112 View Post
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned which will help in the long run, is Insurance. Insurance on an SS will be higher for your age bracket than the Z will be. Dont get me wrong you'll still pay but not as much. Then you will have more money to pay for your mods... haha just my $0.02
    My insurance went down everytime I switched to a Z28 or Trans Am. First time was from a 96 S10 to a 96 Trans Am, insurance went down. Then a 98 Land Rover DIscovery to a 96 Z28 convertible, insurance went down, then from a Triumph TR7 to a 00 Z28 convertible, insurance went down, then this time went from a 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 to my current 98 Z28 and again my insurance went down, and substantially, like $400 a year.

    Quotes for SS was the same as for the Z28. Of course I am 37 and married with kid, so that probably helps, and recently my documented mileage is less than 100miles a month. Gotta love that company car.

  14. #54
    I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Standish,Maine
    Age
    51
    Posts
    560

    Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

    Quote Originally Posted by baze112 View Post
    One thing that hasn't been mentioned which will help in the long run, is Insurance. Insurance on an SS will be higher for your age bracket than the Z will be. Dont get me wrong you'll still pay but not as much. Then you will have more money to pay for your mods... haha just my $0.02
    I don't think ins. is any more for a SS over a Z28. When i switched from Z28 to SS it didn't change.

  15. #55
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    266

    green
    94 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by knoll5150 View Post
    I'm not ripping guys who want to mod their cars here. But say you by 2000 Z28 for $10K and then "turn" it into a SS. The parts (not including labor) for the tires, rims, entire new hood, and exhaust will probably run you an additional $5,000. This isn't even including the price of suspension, oil cooler, and badges. You can buy a real SS for about $14k. What's the point of wasting all that time and money?
    Uh...why is modding a z28 "turning it into a SS"? Don't be stupid.

    Also, maybe where you go you will spend 5k on those parts. But everywhere else in the world where things aren't 3 times the price we will save a few thousand dollars.

    Anyways, I bought my 94 z28 for a little over 5k after getting a new clutch and few problems fixed when I very fist got it. I already had planned to try to make most of the mods that I can myself since I'm planning on opening my own shop so the extra 30-40 HP(about right?) that a SS has over the z28 isn't worth the 10k or so higher price in my books, especially considering the little time I get to work is paying monthly bills for college right now.

    The only reason I'd want a SS is because I see less and they are the superior camaro right now. But for the price, I was able to buy a z28, have enough money to get the mods that would make it just as fast as a SS, and then still have more than enough to pay for most of my bills for about half a year. So I couldn't turn that offer down. I would still like to get a SS later down the road though and turn the z28 in a dragster only car.

  16. #56
    Member mnypitZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deland
    Posts
    215

    Cayenne Red Metallic
    98 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by xinthenight View Post
    Uh...why is modding a z28 "turning it into a SS"? Don't be stupid.

    Also, maybe where you go you will spend 5k on those parts. But everywhere else in the world where things aren't 3 times the price we will save a few thousand dollars.

    Anyways, I bought my 94 z28 for a little over 5k after getting a new clutch and few problems fixed when I very fist got it. I already had planned to try to make most of the mods that I can myself since I'm planning on opening my own shop so the extra 30-40 HP(about right?) that a SS has over the z28 isn't worth the 10k or so higher price in my books, especially considering the little time I get to work is paying monthly bills for college right now.

    The only reason I'd want a SS is because I see less and they are the superior camaro right now. But for the price, I was able to buy a z28, have enough money to get the mods that would make it just as fast as a SS, and then still have more than enough to pay for most of my bills for about half a year. So I couldn't turn that offer down. I would still like to get a SS later down the road though and turn the z28 in a dragster only car.
    Exactly. I paid $3600 for my 98 LS1 and I have put less than $4000 into mods and repairs and trust me, no stock SS will be able to keep up with me and minus the SS hood, I have never seen an SS I would rather have.

    Take a look at this.

    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...422#post982422

    Just one of the mods that should bring me into the high 400rwhp range.

  17. #57
    Junior Member baze112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest
    Posts
    5

    Blue
    2001 Z28 M6

    Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    I don't think ins. is any more for a SS over a Z28. When i switched from Z28 to SS it didn't change.
    I Mostly agree, but look at my Orig. statement. I said his age bracket. Ins has a lot to do with what state you live in and where in that state. Other factors like ones driving record and what type of coverage come into play as well. Do you think that if you were 17-22 that you would be still paying less than $1000.00a year for full coverage ins on a Z of any kind?

  18. #58
    I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Standish,Maine
    Age
    51
    Posts
    560

    Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

    Quote Originally Posted by baze112 View Post
    I Mostly agree, but look at my Orig. statement. I said his age bracket. Ins has a lot to do with what state you live in and where in that state. Other factors like ones driving record and what type of coverage come into play as well. Do you think that if you were 17-22 that you would be still paying less than $1000.00a year for full coverage ins on a Z of any kind?
    My point was that the ins. companys don't charge more for a SS. They're both LS1/high powered. They charge more for horse power, not hoods and spoilers. Call them and check. My point had nothing to do with age,state, record, coverage.

  19. #59
    Member mnypitZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Deland
    Posts
    215

    Cayenne Red Metallic
    98 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    My point was that the ins. companys don't charge more for a SS. They're both LS1/high powered. They charge more for horse power, not hoods and spoilers. Call them and check. My point had nothing to do with age,state, record, coverage.
    You are right, when I owned my dealership, the VIN number for an SS would always come back as a Z28. I played hell getting an SS financed with most banks. And then the insurance company would only see it as a Z28 as well, causing the owner to have to put actual/agreed value type insurance to get it covered properly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. new to ls1.com suggestions for my ls1
    By 97ls1silverado in forum New Member Introductions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2009, 12:59 PM
  2. V6 suggestions??
    By babynate18 in forum V6
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 07:27 PM
  3. Any suggestions
    By 2000ssturd in forum General Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-22-2008, 12:07 PM
  4. New SS, Need suggestions.
    By Muscle in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 06:21 AM
  5. wax suggestions???.......
    By clg82 in forum Showcar and Detailing
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-03-2007, 07:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •