Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Z28 vs SS - Suggestions

This is a discussion on Z28 vs SS - Suggestions within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Listen kid, I own a 2000 SS convertible, and I love it. But Please, PLEASE! Don't waste your money trying ...

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS Convertibl

Stop

Listen kid, I own a 2000 SS convertible, and I love it. But Please, PLEASE! Don't waste your money trying to convert your Z28 into an SS. In reality the SS isn't that much quicker than a Z28. It is made for collectibilty factor. The cold reality is you'll never even come close to recouping the cash you put into modifying your Z28. It's like the guys that try to turn a "68 Pontiac LeMans into a GTO Judge... people aren't stupid, they aren't going to pay big cash for a fake.
    My best advice is to either buy, and enjoy the Z28 for what it is... or save up the money for a real SS if you wish. Don't piss $$$ away on cheezy aftermarket parts that will bring no value to your car.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Only reason I'd buy an SS is because I like the wheels, hood, and wing better than the standard Z parts. If those parts don't mean anything to you, IMO there's really no reason to pay more for an SS.

green
    94 z28

Why is people saying stuff like "don't make a fake SS"? Since when is modding your z28 making a fake SS?

Anyways, I got a z28. The SS doesn't seem to have that much more power, and it's price is higher mostly because of its looks. I plan on doing a lot of custom work on my car anyways so there was nothing I liked on a SS over my z28.

Well, I take that back. The only thing I liked more about it was that it had the SS instead of z28. Something about the SS just makes me...I don't know, but for it's price I'd go with the Z. Usually you can spend the extra money you saved and mod it up and have more HP than the SS you would have just bought for the same price.

Red
    01 Camaro SS & 1995 T/A

Either way you won't lose....Z or SS.

SS=More exclusive. You will be part of a small "club" of sorts.

Z=Basically same performance, not as exclusive, but still rocking for less dough.

My opinion, if you find an SS.....swipe it up. If you don't, a Z28 is just as good.

I don't think I helped much.

Blue

I have no problem riders adding performance parts to their Z28 for extra speed. Just remember...addding a fancy exhaust to your car is NOT going to raise the value that much. If you enjoy the mod's for your own gratification...great, just remember you ain't going to get the money you put into it back when you sell it (atleast just a fraction). And..tranforming your car from a Z28 into an SS is just a waste of $$$$ in my opinion.
    Imaginine taking a "86 Grand National and "turning" it into a "GNX" by welding fatter fender flares w/ bigger tires, and making some turbo mods...think your gonna get top dollar for your replica? Doubt it.

I'm not trying to rip on Z28's here, they ARE the greatest bargain in performance cars history in my opinion...I just hate to see kids waste tons of cash to make thier car marginaly quicker with no value to the car they have dumped soooo much money into. I was there myself when I was 17 and owned a crappy "83 T/A in my youth, and throough money into Flowmasters, etc.

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

No such thing as a non-SLP SS. There are "base" SS's that have no SLP options, but it's still an SLP SS.

Blue

kind of splitting hairs, aren't we?

Pewter
    02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by knoll5150 View Post
    I have no problem riders adding performance parts to their Z28 for extra speed. Just remember...addding a fancy exhaust to your car is NOT going to raise the value that much. If you enjoy the mod's for your own gratification...great, just remember you ain't going to get the money you put into it back when you sell it (atleast just a fraction). And..tranforming your car from a Z28 into an SS is just a waste of $$$$ in my opinion.
    Imaginine taking a "86 Grand National and "turning" it into a "GNX" by welding fatter fender flares w/ bigger tires, and making some turbo mods...think your gonna get top dollar for your replica? Doubt it.

I'm not trying to rip on Z28's here, they ARE the greatest bargain in performance cars history in my opinion...I just hate to see kids waste tons of cash to make thier car marginaly quicker with no value to the car they have dumped soooo much money into. I was there myself when I was 17 and owned a crappy "83 T/A in my youth, and throough money into Flowmasters, etc.
    dude you are right about the money you dump on performance mods in your car is not going to make the car more valuable, its the same with the SS or any "actual" collector's car because people want to buy stock cars not modded. But what fun is it driving a stock car so what are you trying to say? that just because its a Z he shouldnt mod it I bought my car to mod it and have fun with it, not just to stare at it when its parked in the garage. And its never money wasted if you're having fun with your mods In my opinion its more money wasted when you buy a car that is going down in price every year and you dont have fun with it and later in life sale if for a fraction of what you paid for it new, the problem is that you never had fun with it its like payigoing to another country pay top $$$ and just stay in the house and stare throu the window when you could go out and actually have fun.
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

victory red
    2002 z28

go with the z28. throw a 4 inch cowl hood on it and some nice z stripes and make it just wicked.remember like one guy said in here before.....any thing can be an ss with gm but only a camaro will always be a z28.

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

If you are going to mod it, get the Z28.
    If you are going to leave it stock, get the SS.

Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Empatho View Post
    dude you are right about the money you dump on performance mods in your car is not going to make the car more valuable, its the same with the SS or any "actual" collector's car because people want to buy stock cars not modded. But what fun is it driving a stock car so what are you trying to say? that just because its a Z he shouldnt mod it I bought my car to mod it and have fun with it, not just to stare at it when its parked in the garage. And its never money wasted if you're having fun with your mods In my opinion its more money wasted when you buy a car that is going down in price every year and you dont have fun with it and later in life sale if for a fraction of what you paid for it new, the problem is that you never had fun with it its like payigoing to another country pay top $$$ and just stay in the house and stare throu the window when you could go out and actually have fun.
    I'm not ripping guys who want to mod their cars here. But say you by 2000 Z28 for $10K and then "turn" it into a SS. The parts (not including labor) for the tires, rims, entire new hood, and exhaust will probably run you an additional $5,000. This isn't even including the price of suspension, oil cooler, and badges. You can buy a real SS for about $14k. What's the point of wasting all that time and money?

Pewter
    02 Z28

if you end up paying 5k for all that then you are gettting ripped off because you can get it for less, the only thing from the SS that I would get is the hood but the VFN 3" SS hood I like the SS spoiler but I like more the RS so Im going to get one of those, and I just wouldnt buy the rims or suspension crap. Oil coolers are not that expensive you can get one for $20.

Red
    2000 SS

Quote Originally Posted by mbrownin View Post
    Exact same shifter options available on Z28 & SS. Either standard or optional Hurst shifter (not limited to SS), neither of which are short-throw shifters.
    Not true. The factory hurst is a short throw. I have had one on both my old LT1 and my LS1. I bought them used. One was out of an SS and the other a Z28. The throw is much shorter than that of the stock crap shifter. Add a short stick to the factory hurst and you have a great shifter for less than $60.

Anyway, I would buy whichever car you get the best deal on. If you find an SS for a great price buy it, and same goes for the Z28. Both will be about the same power wise, drive the same, feel the same, etc. My Dad has a 98 SS with 18k miles on it and it feels the same as my car does.

As far as an SS being an SLP SS, I am not sure if they all are or not. My Dad's has no SLP options (although it was sold directly across the street from the SLP plant) so I was told it is just an SS and not SLP SS. Like I said, I don't know for sure though. Either way, it doesn't matter. Most people add after market parts to their car and ditch the stock stuff anyway. Good luck with finding your car.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Quote Originally Posted by RedRocketZ28 View Post
    Not true. The factory hurst is a short throw. I have had one on both my old LT1 and my LS1. I bought them used. One was out of an SS and the other a Z28. The throw is much shorter than that of the stock crap shifter. Add a short stick to the factory hurst and you have a great shifter for less than $60.

Anyway, I would buy whichever car you get the best deal on. If you find an SS for a great price buy it, and same goes for the Z28. Both will be about the same power wise, drive the same, feel the same, etc. My Dad has a 98 SS with 18k miles on it and it feels the same as my car does.

As far as an SS being an SLP SS, I am not sure if they all are or not. My Dad's has no SLP options (although it was sold directly across the street from the SLP plant) so I was told it is just an SS and not SLP SS. Like I said, I don't know for sure though. Either way, it doesn't matter. Most people add after market parts to their car and ditch the stock stuff anyway. Good luck with finding your car.
    From what I have been told, they all went to SLP for the suspension, wheels, hood/spoiler, and exhaust. Then if they had any slp options they would fit those as well-better exhaust, chrome wheels, bilstein suspension, castrol oil, ss grille, etc.

Mine had no options on it from SLP, but according to them it was there.

I also have read that starting in 1998 GM made the SS's in house, whatever that means, so I don't know what to believe. Anybody have a correct answer?

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Either way, make it a sleeper and make ur car a RS clone

Pewter
    02 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Either way, make it a sleeper and make ur car a RS clone
    I was thinking about doing that to get more races

white
    2002 z28

buy stock either ss or Z, modd to your likeing and build more knlowedge of doing mods. since these cars are all used now you can find the either car with the same miles and condition for the same price. THERE ALL USED. not like paying more from dealer.

and saying to buy a ss caseu it has the different lid and somewhat better exhaust, 99.9 % of any maro owner changes it to aftermarket making it better then the stock SS set up. all of these cars have the same HP, its just the over rated 3's that slp gives people think that ss cars are faster.

White
    2002 Camaro Z28

Just do like I did buy a '02 Z28 and put in a Zoops LS6 Crate engine, It's got 525 RWHP No SS or Corvette on the planet can touch it!

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by chevyracerno01 View Post
    Just do like I did buy a '02 Z28 and put in a Zoops LS6 Crate engine, It's got 525 RWHP No SS or Corvette on the planet can touch it!
    There is always something out there with more HP, faster etc.
    Last edited by Y2KPewterSS; 08-27-2007 at 04:08 PM.

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    There is always something out there with more HP, faster etc.

x2
    2 years ago my freinds dad found that out the hard way with $ on race have a mid 8 car on the street ( dumping all college funds and retierment) racing some regal that came on a trailer and pulled a wheelie about 25 further then his.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information