Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Z28 VS. SS (need help)

I dont know too much about this so can some one help me? Right now im driving a V6 Camaro and i want to move up to the V8s but how much difference is there between the Z28 and the SS? I know the body is the same but as far as preformance is the SS so much better? And i know what there is 3 levels in the camaro from RS to Z28 to SS and so which firebirds match up to these? Thank you

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

SS is a appearance/suspension package with a "better flowing exhaust". Same motor, tranny and rear gearing as the z28 6-speed...auto has to be optioned with 3.23's for the Z but it's standard with the SS. Some SS have more options from slp then others...you'll have to check the door sticker of each to see what's what. Or get the vin as you're shopping for cars and call slp and they'll tell you all about it.

RS=firebird, Z28=TA and Formula, SS=WS6 for fourth gens

Awaiting Activation
    ^^^ well said. I wouldn't waste your money on a SS or WS6 unless you are in love with the look of it. They usually cost a few thousand more and are no faster. you will end up taking off all the factory parts anyway. (if you plan to mod) They do have better stock suspensions though. You are better off getting a Z28, regular formula,or a regular T/A and modding with the $$ you saved.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    ^^^ well said. I wouldn't waste your money on a SS or WS6 unless you are in love with the look of it. They usually cost a few thousand more and are no faster. you will end up taking off all the factory parts anyway. (if you plan to mod) They do have better stock suspensions though. You are better off getting a Z28, regular formula,or a regular T/A and modding with the $$ you saved.
    X2

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Many Z28's and SS's even dyno the same #'s, so really is mainly the collector value for the SS, also the hood deck spoiler. Some SS's are very lightly optioned and will have very few upgrades other than hood and rear deck, wheels etc. If all out performance is what your after, get a Z28 and mod it for what you saved.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Thanks thats what im probably going to end up doing

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

you guys are right! .... but just kinda off tha record! but dam i love that ss hood scoop and spoiler! ahhh

Sebring Silver Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Get a Z28.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

You can always put spolers and hood scoop, i agree with the hood scoop but not a particular fan for the spoiler. I kind of like the other spoiler forgot what its called but its just kind of laps around like half of a halfpipe that ska8rs sk8 on

I could give a shit about either spoiler. I like the hood though even though it doesnt work worth a piss.

Actually, debaffling a ws6 hood makes it work better, but Ive never heard anything about debaffling a SS hood..

Someone better speak up!
    99 T/A M6
    LS6 intake, Hooker Coated Long Tubes, Y-pipe w/1 carsound cat, Hooker Catback, MTi Clear Lid, FRA w/ Holley Power Shot, ASP crank pulley, 1.8 RRs, 3.73s w/TA girdle & Eaton Differential, Granatelli SFCs, Pro 5.0 Shifter, LS6 Clutch, Diablo, TByrnes Maf Ends (in winter), All the Free Mods

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I agree with you 100% all that SS scope does is add style the Trans Am has a much better usable hood

Light Pewter
    2000 Z28

Smile me too

I also agree that SS is not needed for performance. You can upgrade looks anyway with new hood. What I like is the sport appearance package which gives that lowered look. Probably better aerodynamics?

But I know....it's just something about saying "my SS"....

BLACK
    1998 Z28

Detroit Muscle

I Also Agree. I Had A Friend That Had A Ss With The Manual Trans And I Used Beat Him,not To The Degree Of Mustang Ass Whippin But By About A Half Acar With My A4.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    I agree with you 100% all that SS scope does is add style the Trans Am has a much better usable hood
    its also a RAM air functional hood not just style
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

True but the ram air works better on the firbirds casue there scoop is right above the intake vs. the ss where the scoop is on the oppisite end of the intake. Dont get me wrong but the firbird has it better

Black
    2000 trans am

correct me if im wrong but doesnt the Z28 have like 305-310hp and the SS has 320-325hp??? i kno its not that big of a difference tho once u start puttin the mods on it

Midnight blue
    1999 z28

GO WiTH THE Z

Black
    94 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by imprtkillr2810 View Post
    correct me if im wrong but doesnt the Z28 have like 305-310hp and the SS has 320-325hp??? i kno its not that big of a difference tho once u start puttin the mods on it
    That slight difference is because of slightly better flowing exhaust or intake from SLP. A Z28 can have the same with an aftermarket catback or lid. Bolt-on for bolt-on, Z28=SS.

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLT1Z28 View Post
    That slight difference is because of slightly better flowing exhaust or intake from SLP. A Z28 can have the same with an aftermarket catback or lid. Bolt-on for bolt-on, Z28=SS.
    do all SS's have some kind of SLP installed? or just some of them?

Red
    99 Camaro Z28

I bought a Z28. I have put the hood scoop on it, got the intake (pretty much the only difference) and am about to put the SS Spoiler on it. Does anyone think its gay to put the SS Emblems on it after all that? Some of my buddies give me crap about it.

Thread Information