Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 73

Z28 Still Has Rough Idle Wtf????

This is a discussion on Z28 Still Has Rough Idle Wtf???? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; No problem, good luck with your car and your (hopefully)swift recovery!...

  1. #21
    Lurking MechanicalMehem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Age
    36
    Posts
    255

    white/black
    2000 z28

    No problem, good luck with your car and your (hopefully)swift recovery!

  2. #22
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    DELANO CA
    Posts
    1

    MAROON METALLIC
    2001 CHEVY CAMARO Z28

    What I Was Told

    Well i have the same problem on my 2001 Z28 but i asked a friend(has 12 years workin for gm) that works with me at a GM Dealership why does it do that and he told me that its something they did to save gas which the pcm lets the car lean out and picks it back up. this is only done while in park or at a stop so is your car doesn't miss fire while driving then thats what its going to be

  3. #23
    Lurking MechanicalMehem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Age
    36
    Posts
    255

    white/black
    2000 z28

    True, it will lean it out to save fuel costs. However you should never feel it inside the vehicle. Oh btw, I to am GM certified, have 2 years vo-tech, 2 years asep(automotoive service eduacational program), this is the GM training program degree(associates), 8 years at a chevy dealership, 2 years in the independent auto industry-its amazing how much I learned about cars in general after going to work for the independent. I am not saying I know everything or even alot for that matter, there is always more than can be learned by one person.

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    96

    red
    1998 chevy camaro ss

    same problem

    i got the same problem, goin on about two weeks now. i noticed my throttle cable is broken on the place where it is mounted on the bracket. orderd part but still waiting. someone told me it was a vacuum leak but ive checked and cant find one. any one else got any ideas?

  5. #25
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    I know one thing about it for sure. When I bought the car 7 months back it never idled rough like this. I say rough but most people wouldnt make a big deal about it. Shit like this drives me crazy because I know what it should idle like because of what it was like when I bought it. I am just a bit picky when it comes to my car. I want my shit perfect. I guess its one of those things that will have to get worse before it can be fixed. I mean it may be the motor mounts but in my mind I dont think it is because of the way it kind of surges. I am gonna try SLICK 50 fuel injector cleaner next. It couldnt hurt anyway. Other than that I am gonna start replacing sensors like the air temp sensor and maybe clean or replace the pcv etc. until I hit on it. FK it.

  6. #26
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    96

    red
    1998 chevy camaro ss

    keep me posted. id really like to know what your turns out to be.

  7. #27
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by sscamaro1384 View Post
    keep me posted. id really like to know what your turns out to be.
    Hey is your car surging when it idles any??

  8. #28
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    96

    red
    1998 chevy camaro ss

    same syptoms u described plus i am throwing the ses light with p0170 and p0174 left and right bank lean. surges at a stop light. fine while driving. came after a water pump replacement. posted it on a few forums but havent solved the problem yet

  9. #29
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by sscamaro1384 View Post
    same syptoms u described plus i am throwing the ses light with p0170 and p0174 left and right bank lean. surges at a stop light. fine while driving. came after a water pump replacement. posted it on a few forums but havent solved the problem yet
    I see. My check engine light hasnt come on yet. I will let you know when I hopfully figure it out. I hate shit like this. I had a s-10 and it did the same shit. I replaced so many things it was rediculous and it still never idled right.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Wheeler99WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    indiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,018

    black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

    is your car an A4 or M6? Mine is a4 and idles around 500-600 when warm. if yours is a4 and idling around 900 you may have a vacumm leak. not sure what M6 idle at. kinda wondering about the fuel system also though. could be dirty injectors like you are thinking, do a search on Seafoam its an intake and injector cleaner. hooks up to the fuel rails. Maybe even a new fuel filter needed. can you have you fuel PSI checked? Just trying to help.
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

  11. #31
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    is your car an A4 or M6? Mine is a4 and idles around 500-600 when warm. if yours is a4 and idling around 900 you may have a vacumm leak. not sure what M6 idle at. kinda wondering about the fuel system also though. could be dirty injectors like you are thinking, do a search on Seafoam its an intake and injector cleaner. hooks up to the fuel rails. Maybe even a new fuel filter needed. can you have you fuel PSI checked? Just trying to help.
    Thanks for your insight on this. I did put a new fuel filter on and plugs and wires and it didnt change things a bit. I read about that injector cleaner that hooks up to the fuel rails and was actually thinking about getting it. I am mistaken my car idles at 850 which from what I read seems just right. It is a
    automatic also. No I never had the fuel pressure checked. Do you think it may be the fuel pressure regulator? Do you know if a chevy dealer would be able to clean my injectors in the same sort of fashion as the way u mentioned? If they do I think I am gonna get them to do it cause of my recent back surgery. Thanks again--mike

  12. #32
    Senior Member Wheeler99WS6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    indiana
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,018

    black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

    I believe they can but would charge you an arm and a leg to do it. I believe it isnt anything too extreme to do but then again you probably dont want to do any leaning over at all. hmmm.....well if you got the cash you could have them do it or buy the stuff and pay some kid $20 to hold the bottle while you give the car some throttle while the fuel rails suck it all in. Do a search on it like I said I beleive it was easy to do, just pay a nephew or something to hold the can for ya so you dont have to lean over the engine. Dont forget to also check your PSI, could be one of those two things.

  13. #33
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    I believe they can but would charge you an arm and a leg to do it. I believe it isnt anything too extreme to do but then again you probably dont want to do any leaning over at all. hmmm.....well if you got the cash you could have them do it or buy the stuff and pay some kid $20 to hold the bottle while you give the car some throttle while the fuel rails suck it all in. Do a search on it like I said I beleive it was easy to do, just pay a nephew or something to hold the can for ya so you dont have to lean over the engine. Dont forget to also check your PSI, could be one of those two things.
    Thanks-I tend to agree with you. I dont think the car would act like it does from bad motor mounts. I think 1 or more injectors are a little clogged.

  14. #34
    Junior Member edcmat-l1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by deadbydawn421 View Post
    Thanks-I tend to agree with you. I dont think the car would act like it does from bad motor mounts. I think 1 or more injectors are a little clogged.
    If it was clogged injectors, you would have a problem off idle also. Think about it for a minute. What would cause this symptom just at idle? How about the EGR stuck open just slightly? See it all the time on different cars. Yours may be one.
    Lean left and right bank codes are almost always caused by a contaminated MAF sensor hot wire. It cooks the crap on there, insulates it and then throws the fueling off.
    Just a couple tidbits from an ASE master tech/professional tuner/20 years exp as diagnostic/emissions specialist.
    Pleased to meet ya'll. Hope to be a board sponsor when Brad is up and running around. Talk to ya'll soon.

  15. #35
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
    If it was clogged injectors, you would have a problem off idle also. Think about it for a minute. What would cause this symptom just at idle? How about the EGR stuck open just slightly? See it all the time on different cars. Yours may be one.
    Lean left and right bank codes are almost always caused by a contaminated MAF sensor hot wire. It cooks the crap on there, insulates it and then throws the fueling off.
    Just a couple tidbits from an ASE master tech/professional tuner/20 years exp as diagnostic/emissions specialist.
    Pleased to meet ya'll. Hope to be a board sponsor when Brad is up and running around. Talk to ya'll soon.
    That makes sense to me because it does run fine when I am driving it. So should I replace it or can it be cleaned? I am a carpenter but was brought up working on my own cars with my dad. I am no expert for sure. Thank you for taking your time to help me out. ----mike

  16. #36
    Junior Member edcmat-l1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Posts
    98
    Its pretty easy to get off. 2 bolts, 1 electrical connector. It may have just got a piece of carbon in it. Just take it off and clean it out. You can even make a temporary block off out of a can or something, just to see if it cures it. Take a can and just cut a piece to cover both ports and tighten it up under the EGR. Then just run the car.

  17. #37
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    96

    red
    1998 chevy camaro ss

    i have the same problem and with the same codes. if it was a dirty maf, wouldn't the maf code be thrown by the pcm? i experiece this problem at idle only, and am very curious to find out what it is. i have cleaned my maf, but no difference.

  18. #38
    Junior Member edcmat-l1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Va
    Posts
    98
    Quote Originally Posted by sscamaro1384 View Post
    i have the same problem and with the same codes. if it was a dirty maf, wouldn't the maf code be thrown by the pcm? i experiece this problem at idle only, and am very curious to find out what it is. i have cleaned my maf, but no difference.
    It doesnt set ant codes. The MAF keeps right on working, its just thrown out of calibration from being insulated. So you get lean codes. Its been goin on for years. Practically since hot wire mafs have been around. Fords are notorious for it. Even on the fords, no 02 codes, only lean bank 1 and 2.
    This may or may not be your issue @ idle, but if its accompanied by lean bank 1 and 2 codes, you can almost bet it is.

  19. #39
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    96

    red
    1998 chevy camaro ss

    so if this is my problem, what is the solution? new maf? clean existing one?

  20. #40
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,328

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by sscamaro1384 View Post
    so if this is my problem, what is the solution? new maf? clean existing one?
    I am not certain but I think he means get a new one or clean the connectors. Hell maybe get a used one and try it just to see what happens.??????

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Rough Idle
    By thacher2189 in forum LT1
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2012, 03:04 PM
  2. Help: Rough Idle
    By 1WickedWS6 in forum GM Trucks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 08:16 AM
  3. Help: intermittant rough idle, off idle hesitation
    By Matto4785 in forum General Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2009, 06:12 AM
  4. Help: rough idle
    By RLamas in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-01-2009, 05:59 PM
  5. C5 Rough Idle
    By BlkNBlkC5 in forum Corvette
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 07:42 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •