down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Z28/SS vs WS6 T/A

Within the next three years I plan to own one of these LS1 beasts. I have a couple of questions though as to the differences in them though. A while back I went to a car lot to test drive a 2002 Z28, fast-as-shit is all I can say..compared to my 4.3 S-10 I have been driving..

I had the choice between the Camaro and the WS6 T/A...The guy that I test drove it with told me that the TransAm WS6 would actually whoop the shit out of the camaro...is this true? I have been kind of debating between the two which one I really want. Im a chevy fan all the way, and I love the camaros..but the TransAms look bad ass too... Your opinions?

In A Jesus Christ pose.... on the banks of the Thames with Ratty and Mole.

hunter Green
    92 Camaro RS 350 Special

I think the WS6 would be quicker because of the lid. But im still learning all that myself

Member A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR's Avatar

Rally Red/race stripes
    2002 Super Sport

same engine= same performance
    dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by A~NICE~CAR~IS~A~NICE~CAR View Post
    same engine= same performance
    dont let anyone tell you otherwise.

Stock for stock, most LS1 powered F-Body's are just about the same. Very little difference.

Red
    01 camaro ss

someone told me that the t/a is a lil slower then the ss, stock vs stock. cuz the t/a wieghs a lil more that said. i dont know how true it is. but i like the front end of a ws6 it just looks so mean

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

The only way to find out which car is faster that day is to run them.

One day the SS may win, the next the WS.6 may win.
    2008 Trailblazer SS
    Yank PTB3600, Kooks 1 7/8" LT's, 4" intake, E-fans, Magnaflow, Sonnax kit, tranny cooler, tune.
    Lowered, HID's, tinted.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am WS.6 #1747 SOLD
    531.1 RWHP 481.3 FT/Pounds all motor.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I have driven both, I have a 2000 SS and my mom owns a 2000 WS-6. When they were both stock, they were identical in performance.

Car and Driver did a comparison a while back (titled "Keepers of the Flame" I believe), and the WS-6 and SS posted identical quarter mile times. However the WS-6 consistently recorded a higher top speed, 163 mph versus 160 mph for the camaro. They weren't able to determine why, but thought aerodynamics may have been a slight difference. Either way, it proves that there is little difference between the cars.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

cool, I wasnt sure,, but is the TransAm faster than the Z28? I know the Z28 doesnt have a ram air thats why I ask. I thought about getting a trans am more becasue I like the way the front and the back looks..but...I also like the title of driving a Chevrolet...so its kind of a hard decision.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

The looks are the only difference. They are both GM and shared platforms, that's the bottom line. If you want to know about the ram-air thing do a search. There are a few threads about it. Just think of it as driving a F-body and you'll be on the right track.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

A WS-6 is faster than a Z28. It's not insanely faster or anything, but it's about .1-.15 sec quicker in the quarter.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

The driver could be the factor in that though.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

A stripper Formula will yield the quickest consistent times.

weberje
    No diff. Just go with the one that feels right to you. I have owned and loved both. It's all just personal preference.

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

performance is all basically the same, just go with what looks the best to you everyone has different opinoins

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

omg there just about the same...it's a drivers race. Both LS1's just the trans am is like a little bit heavier (just 50 lbs. heavier lol). But in the long run the camaro would be my choice and that's because i own an ss. Just like the people with WS6's are gonna want you to get the WS6. Its your opinion, get which ever one you think is the best looking, more comfortable, etc. O and about the ram air, the only thing it does is cool the engine quicker but it only add 5-8 horsepower.
    good luck

david
    Last edited by MyCamaroSS; 01-05-2007 at 01:19 PM.

Basically what everyone else said .... its mainly which one looks better to you / which interior you like better. The Camaro looks more conservative while the Trans Am looks more aggressive IMO. Personally I like the Camaro SS better than a WS6 ..... but thats just my style. If I had a choice between a Z28 and a WS6 .... i'd probably go with the WS6 , Z28's look to plain IMO.

testdrive both also .... you never know one could be a factory freak while the other one could be a turd

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Preformance is just the same, body looks different and interior is the same except for the automatics they have a different stick for the shifting

Silver
    2002 Firebird Formula

yea man i agree with everyone i have a formula firebird it's fast and i have driven the camaro ss and its fast thier about the same i had a choice between the Firebird and the Camaro and i choose the firebird only because i love the bandit (get the ram air though it comes with the camaro ss and the trans am ws6 and some trans am have it but get it with your car believe me i have to buy a hood and that 800 bucks)

Thread Information