Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Z28...or SS...which should I get?

This is a discussion on Z28...or SS...which should I get? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I just picked up a 98 SS Tuesday with some extra SLP add ons and love it. It has Cold ...

Silver
    1998 Camaro SS

I just picked up a 98 SS Tuesday with some extra SLP add ons and love it. It has Cold air intake, exhaust, control arms, mass air meter, aluminum drive shaft, and Eibach springs. Got it for $11,900 with 36,000 miles on it. I'm glad I got it instead of a regular Z. Might not have much more power, but in my opinion looks a lot better. But if you buy a regular Z you'll probably have more money for add ons after you get it.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

If I find an SS how will I know what number it is?

Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

Quote Originally Posted by brodband View Post
    If I find an SS how will I know what number it is?
    U can just call SLP that is who told me my #

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Dayum....I would soo buy this if I had the money

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=576

Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

Quote Originally Posted by brodband View Post
    Dayum....I would soo buy this if I had the money

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=576
    got mine with 8500 miles and only spent 19500-5000 for my old car =15500
    it was such a sweet deal and i love my SS

Red
    2000 Z28 Camaro M6

Naw im serious i would first look at my Z28 before thinkin about that SS

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I feel the same about mine, that just means we love our cars.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Quote Originally Posted by Albert87 View Post
    Naw im serious i would first look at my Z28 before thinkin about that SS
    you put an SS hood on your Z28, trying to make it look like an SS, but it wont ever be worth the same. I like Z28s just fine, but yours doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary from what your little avatar shows. except for some body kits and the hood, and maybe some rims. it wouldn't make me choose a Z28 over an SS. no offense.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

My SS on the other hand has many unusual things. It has the SS grille, CME, 6spd SS Vert(all in one car), its a 2002, I've got the ls6 intake stock, chrome 17 SS wheels with "SS" on the center caps, and the list goes on. I would've been happy with a Z but I "*WANTED*" an SS.

It kinda reminds me of back when I had a Sega Dreamcast. I saw the Xbox but just seeing it doesn't give you the feel. I got the Xbox and played for a while and went back to the Dreamcast. Basically going from high to low you'll notice a difference guaranteed. Go test drive an SS for a while and I'm sure you'll find some differences.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I want one of those SS grilles. those things look badass, but I have to have a front license plate. : ( really is a downer. part of me wants to just get the nice grille and drive around hoping I don't get pulled over, if I get a fix it ticket, I could put a plate on, get it signed off and then put on the nice grille. but I dunno if it would be worth it. but damn those things look good. :/

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

In Missouri(which is where I'm from) they require 2 tags. Yes I've still got MO tags but I live in TN. Here they don't require both. I've been pulled over twice for it though at home. One time was when I had my v6 and the other was on my way home with my SS with NO tags AT ALL hahaha. I drove like 400-600 miles with no tags and got pulled over when I got home. First the cop said he saw I had no front tag(he noticed it was a nice car) and then he pulled over to the right on the highway and then he saw I didn't have a rear tag hahaha, red n blue red n blue. I told him I just bought the car and it was cool.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

ya, I've never been pulled over, but I did get the cops called on me once for doing burnouts. I was scared shitless, and the two cops were playing good cop/bad cop on me. I told them it was my dad's car and they were like, "This thing's probably your dad's baby, I'm sure he'd be pissed if he knew you were messing around with it." and I was like, "ya, it sure is his baby....". I got off with a warning tho, so it's all good. but I don't like dealing with cops. so I think I'll just go the legal route on this one.

White
    2000 Camaro Z28

both cars are at or around the same HP. The only difference is the looks and the slp badging. performance wise they are the same almost equal, but you end up paying a lot more for the ss. I would go for the z28 because when you see ss driving around, you don't know if it is a clone or the real thing!

Red
    2000 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    you put an SS hood on your Z28, trying to make it look like an SS, but it wont ever be worth the same. I like Z28s just fine, but yours doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary from what your little avatar shows. except for some body kits and the hood, and maybe some rims. it wouldn't make me choose a Z28 over an SS. no offense.
    Hey ur SS is alright,NO OFFENSE but its got no LOOKS!!!!!!
    I thought it was a V6 when i seen it,just messin,nice car,but not NICE ENOUGH.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Hey ur SS is alright,NO OFFENSE but its got no LOOKS!!!!!!
    I thought it was a V6 when i seen it,just messin,nice car,but not NICE ENOUGH.
    haha, to each his own. I'm a fan of subtle details tho, I like simple and straight forward visual mods. nothing too extreme or flashy. the only thing I would do to my car for looks would be to drop it an inch and put in a SS grille. but I live in CA and my driveway is too damn steep for lowering.
    -and you can tell my car's a V8 when you hear my exhaust

Red
    2000 Z28 Camaro M6

Hey i was just messin bout ur car,i like it,by the way i like ur rims.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

Hey i was just messin bout ur car,i like it,by the way i like ur rims.
    haha, ya I know. thanks, I like 'em too. one of the best factory rims GM made i think. : )
    and I actually like your car too. haha, but I'm still glad I have my SS. I looked at Z28s for a year before I got my car. my dad actually found it, not me. I didn't think I could ever get one.

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by FBODYREDDEVIL View Post
    Actually the Deluxe Trim and RS were the appearance packages. The SS had a wider and larger range of cubes available including the only Camaro BB's available, and the Z28 (Z/28) was originally packaged and designed to be raced on the Trans Am circuit.

And no flaming coming from here.
    Assuming we're talking about the 1st gen (ie 67-69), better check the numbers a little better there bro. Your right ss cars had engine choices, but unless you had a copo 427 car, the big blocks couldn't touch a propperly tuned 302. Being rated at 290 HP was like saying your SS's are only pushin' around 150.

You sure about that Sthrider? I have owned a couple of 396/375 hp SS camaros and they would run circles around the 302 Z I had. The little 302 Z-28 was a great car,,but they don't hold a candle to a properly tuned and driven solid lifter big block chevy. Been there done that. Cubes rule. Larry.

As far as the front license plate dilema goes. My 02 SS came with the SS front grille as well,,,since it was a factory option I wasn't about to take it off for a front plate (it's required here in ohio) so I mount the plate on the lower air damn. I also have my other Z-28 this way as well.
    Once in a blue moon I get pulled over but never have gotten tickets. Cops usually just tell me thats a grey area but the don't have a severe problem with it. As long as you stand back from the car about 10 feet it's easy to see,,,and most cops see it just fine when they are driving towards you so it's not a problem. Just an option for ya.

As far as fake SS's go,,,,it's easy to stick a hood and wing on,,,but the wheels are a dead giveaway as most people won't go through the trouble to purchase them and stick them on. But all you have to do is open the door and look for the SLP sticker and the correct RPO codes on the GM sticker,,,it's easy to tell a real one.
    And anyone that seriously thinks an SS is a 6 cylinder car doesn't know what they are lookin at,,,lol. Larry.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information