Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Z28...or SS...which should I get?

Okay, so I got offered a job with the cable company starting in May and I will be making pretty good money for my age (18). Now, here is my problem. I really really like the SS, but they are hard to find around my area.

Now a Z28 isnt so hard to find at all. Ive test driven one, and it is the fastest freaking car I have EVER driven I about pissed my pants when I hit full throttle, and that was WITH traction control on. I understand the SS has a different spoiler and a ram-air type induction. I really do like Z28's though too. Will I relaly notice a difference in the 15-20 HP? How would I be able to overcome this problem with a Z ? Headers, exhaust, CAI ?

I REALLY REALLY REALLY am close to getting an F-Body,,I really want one really bad. It is time.

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

the big difference i think is looks....myself i'd get a ss if i could....but i love my z28

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

first off ss's only have about 10 more hp than the z's. definately not 20 more. i'd vote for the ss, but i may be a bit biased lol. i know how hard it is to find a good ss for a reasonable price, but just keep looking. it took me over a year of looking online everyday until i found my car. but i couldn't be happier with it. the ss's just look so much better with the hood scoop, and the spoiler too. if you do end up with a z28 i'd think about throwing a ss hood on there, but that'll run you close to $1000 for a functional one. might as well just wait a little longer for the real thing. a real ss will be worth more money later on than a z28 too.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Ss Ftw

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

The difference in the two is more or less appearance. The only time you would get the benefit of the SS's more open induction and improved exhaust flow is at high speeds. The SS has some stiffer handling components too so you could possibly notice slightly improved handling coupled with the larger rubber.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

It comes down to looks. I have both a Z-28 and an SS. I actually am very happy with the Z-28 and I just stumbled onto the SS by accident,,,and bought it. I wasn't really looking for one,,,but they rarely pop up,,,especially in convertables,,,so I jumped on it.
    They also get the larger wheels and tires, and some added SLP options if they were checked off, some of those are pretty cool as well.

I agree with Ripper, if you are looking for investment reasons the SS will surely be worth more in the years to come. But the Z-28's are great cars as well. Get what your happy with and enjoy it

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

go SS. you will be happy that you did. looks cleaner, bigger wheels, little more HP, z28's are a dime a dozen, be different from those around you and get the SS...

you will thank me later...

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post
    go SS. you will be happy that you did. looks cleaner, bigger wheels, little more HP, z28's are a dime a dozen, be different from those around you and get the SS...

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

just make sure you get an ls1 please. i dont wanna read a new thread in a few weeks entitled "going to get the ss, but saw a wicked fast gt on the way......"
    good luck man, godspeed, literally.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

To be perfectly honest with you, I see more SSs here in my town then I do Z28s. I know they made less, but I guess alot of folks here bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by SSwt00SS View Post

Iraq money well spent. TRY ME GT's Avatar

Black on Black
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Take your time and find an SS. itll be worth it in the long run. A Z-28 will make you very happy too though. there isnt as large of a difference between them like there is a cobra and GT. good luck! let us know what you come up with.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Z28= more reason to go balls out. SS= its pretty much done except for BIG mods.

Blue
    03,EB Z06

I have a Z28 and love it. Although if i had the chance and the money ide get an SS. The SS's are bad ass looking, but i like the Z28 because people underestimate it more and then i blow them away...lol..plus it doesnt take much to get a Z up to SS hp, like intake and exhaust. As far as suspesion, i believe its a must on either, these cars are dangerous with stock suspension!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 camaro SS A4

Go for the SS. It gets you a hood, wing, wheels, and it has a number. Its just a tad bit faster than the Z-28 but nothing major.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    SS #2988, A4, Navy Blue Metalic, 335HP Dual Dual Exhaust, Chrome 10 spokes, Floor mats, Dash plaque, and SS Grille
    Best ET 13.08 @ 106.1, 2.00 60', with SLP lid

Blue
    01 SS M6 SLP#4572

Z28s are real nice but i got to say..I LOVE MY SS!!!>> good luck

Babies: 2 Girls, 5 FBods FBODYREDDEVIL's Avatar

of my F-Bodies
    Too tough to pick just 1

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry01ss View Post
    Z28s are real nice but i got to say..I LOVE MY SS!!!>> good luck
    From a fellow fourth gen shopper...go for the SS. I shopped around a while, looked at some nice Z's, and found the SS I wanted. It's the top of the food chain and worth the extra $ IMO.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i love my z, like stated above, the ss is more for appearance. i like the wheels and hood and spoiler. i have an ss style hood on mine. but, i like to think of history cuz first gen z28s were the top dogs, ss's were more for apprearance and for so long chevy didnt even make an ss. i know i'll get flamed for saying that, i love ss's dont get me wrong. just my .02

Babies: 2 Girls, 5 FBods FBODYREDDEVIL's Avatar

of my F-Bodies
    Too tough to pick just 1

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    i like to think of history cuz first gen z28s were the top dogs, ss's were more for apprearance
    Actually the Deluxe Trim and RS were the appearance packages. The SS had a wider and larger range of cubes available including the only Camaro BB's available, and the Z28 (Z/28) was originally packaged and designed to be raced on the Trans Am circuit.

And no flaming coming from here.

Silver
    1998 SS

Dude I would shop around for an SS I am very pleased with mine.

white
    2000 camaro ss

eventhough there arent much different but honestly ss is much more lovable. i used to have a z28 and now an arctic white ss with every slp option possible. i just loooooove this thing. they're something else. go with an ss. u wont regret it.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information