Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Z28...or SS...which should I get?

This is a discussion on Z28...or SS...which should I get? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Yeah, I appreciate all of your thoughts. I will try and find an SS. I guess the time worth waiting ...

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Yeah, I appreciate all of your thoughts. I will try and find an SS. I guess the time worth waiting is more time saving. What years are good? I know '97 and up are LS1's (pretty sure). And I really want an LS1. Well, if I absolutely cant find an SS I think ide be happy with a WS6 T/A. I don't know, ide take one or the other, it just has to be when i stumble upon "the one".
    Last edited by blackhawk01; 03-21-2007 at 10:44 PM. Reason: because
    Click for full size
    Species - Hermaphrollama
    Genotype - Quadrapedtitasousas

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I have to SSay the one of my favorite carSS is a SStout little chevrolet. Go 4 the SS, its faster, handles better, looks better, and is worth more cash. I didn't say it's the fastest but generally its faster. It'll be worth the wait!

z28s were the top dogs... until the SSs came out with more power and such.

All of our SSs are z28s at heart but with a little more something special.

only 98-02 z28s and SSs were ls1s
    Last edited by 7camaro7; 03-21-2007 at 10:58 PM. Reason: adding something

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Get a SS if your going to get a Camaro. It helps to live with the ugly headlights better. I'd recommend a Trans-Am though!!! Good luck with your search. Just be patient and you'll find one. It is worth it to hop on a plane and drive one back. I almost did that and 4 days before I did a car I wanted popped up in a local dealer so I didn't have to do it, but would.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    Get a SS if your going to get a Camaro. It helps to live with the ugly headlights better. I'd recommend a Trans-Am though!!! Good luck with your search. Just be patient and you'll find one. It is worth it to hop on a plane and drive one back. I almost did that and 4 days before I did a car I wanted popped up in a local dealer so I didn't have to do it, but would.
    +1. dont turn down a good deal just because its alittle farther than you planned on going. for some fate intervenes locally, but for the rest of us we have to scour the country. it may seem like a drag to go away from home at first, but if you find YOUR car then thats gratification enough. just make damn sure it is a good deal. and do research and find what YOU want, dont just settle for something because its convenient or alittle less expensive. make sure its what you want in performance and appearance. its your money so dont blow it on a heap of shit. seriously, good luck with whatever you choose and post pics when you get it. LS1 LS1 LS1 LS1

These guys are right, don't be afraid to travel. To be honest, I currently have 7 cars and they all came from out west. It's a great time to fly out and drive one back accross the country. I usually take my father with me and we have a blast. Allows you to get aquainted with the car and enjoy the scenery. My last trip was 2,600 miles from Washington state and back home to Ohio. Widening your search like this will open other oportunities, checking the local papers on the internet for all the major cities out west is where I have most of my luck. It takes a little digging but you turn up alot of cars forsale that people aren't fighting over unlike ebay.

Yes you will want 98-02 for LS1 equipped F-bodies. If you want to get a step ahead in bolt ons,,,go for the 01-02 F-body,,,,they came factory with LS6 intakes, which is one of the first bolt ons eveyone does to the 98-00 F-bodies, so you can nip that in the bud.
    I like both the Firebird and the Camaro. I am not sure if the hidden headlights ever give the firebird owners any problems, that was always a concern for me, but other than that,,,they are nice looking. I could go either way, but a Camaro SS fell in my lap so thats what I wound up with. Either way you will enjoy it. Larry.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by FBODYREDDEVIL View Post
    Actually the Deluxe Trim and RS were the appearance packages. The SS had a wider and larger range of cubes available including the only Camaro BB's available, and the Z28 (Z/28) was originally packaged and designed to be raced on the Trans Am circuit.

And no flaming coming from here.
    yeah, your right about the deluxe and rs, i forgot about that. but you got to admit even tho the ss had the bigger engines that little 302 in the z would shit and get!!

Le Mans Blue
    2004 Z16

There is no difference in power between an SS and Z28 unless you have SLP options like lid, exhaust etc... The suspension differences are different between the years, so don't assume that the SS has a better suspension either. I personally love the looks of the SS and if you aren't going to mod the car, that's what I would go with. I knew that I would be doing some major improvements, so I bought a Z28...

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Am I hearing this right? He should hold out for an SS even if a nice Z28 at a good price comes along?

I disagree. You will pay more for the SS just....because. It may take a long time to even get one. I love 'em too, but why keep waiting when you COULD be DRIVING?

My Z28 has the SS hood, which I do prefer over the standard. When I get it repainted, I plan on adding the SS spoiler. I DO prefer the looks of the SS over a standard Z28, but do not put much faith in these extra HP issues. A Z28 with a lid pretty much nullifies that with a stock SS of the same year. An LS1 (98-02) would definitely be my first requirement, although LT1's ain't bad either.

If you could get a Z28 with a SS hood for a few THOUSAND less than an SS, just think of the wheel possibilites with the extra cash. Or add-ons.

I'm not saying an SS isn't a good buy (I certainly would do it with the right funds), but a Z28 in your driveway is better than an SS in your dreams.

Jad is right about the HP aspect of things. Although they rate the SS and WS6 slightly higher,,,it doesn't make alot of difference for the simple fact that one of the first things people do to the regular Z-28 and T/A (and even the ram air cars for that matter) is the free ram air mod by cutting out the shroud under the filter. Once that is done you basically have the same thing as the SS and WS6 does,,,you just don't have the visual impact of the hood.
    Some of the SLP cars also came with optional exhaust that raised the HP even higher to 335 HP,,,,but again,,,one of the first bolt ons to a standard Z-28 or T/A is a cat back exhaust,,,"shrug"
    Really the SLP cars are going to be collectable which has alot to do with the prices they are bringing, they have a number, they were pretty low production, especially when you start breaking down options. So thats really what you are paying for.
    Take Jads advice, if all you want are the looks then save some cash and by a standard Z or TA and use the money saved to buy a hood, spoiler, and wheels if you like. I personally prefer the real deal or nothing. It's all personal preference.

Silver and Black
    1998 Z/28

I've had a '98 SS M6, and a '02 SS auto. I'm now driving a '98 Z/28 M6 and love it. I was holding out for an SS but when I saw this one owner, 42,000 mile hard top, M6, I had to jump on it!

The things I miss about the SS:

*17" wheels
    *The look of the hood bulge while driving
    *Rear spoiler

Performance wise, it depends on what modifications you have... The wheels are not that big of a deal, but the hood and rear spoiler can be pricey!!

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by desliger View Post
    I've had a '98 SS M6, and a '02 SS auto. I'm now driving a '98 Z/28 M6 and love it. I was holding out for an SS but when I saw this one owner, 42,000 mile hard top, M6, I had to jump on it!

The things I miss about the SS:

*17" wheels
    *The look of the hood bulge while driving
    *Rear spoiler

Performance wise, it depends on what modifications you have... The wheels are not that big of a deal, but the hood and rear spoiler can be pricey!!
    Mine is in my avatar. It had 66,000 on it (hood already on it too). It's an M6 and I got it for $6500. It needed a headliner ($175), and the clear coat has issues at the back. I drive it every day.

That's what I mean about a good deal on a Z28. No way I would hold off for an SS with a deal like that! I actually wanted a WS6 at the time. I'm glad I didn't wait.

Pewter
    2000 z28

everyones right. i really dont care either way between the ss or z28. its all the same to me. i think there is a bigger wow factor between the trans am and the ram air equipped ones or the ws6. i would be happy if my z28 had the ss spoiler bc i think it sets off the back end, but no apologies or disappointments. no matter which way you go, you will definetly be pleased. i really dont think you could tell a big diff between the years unless its a 98 z vs. say an 02 ss with SLP additions.

I bought my car new with the sports appearance package over the SS. I like the looks better. Then with minor mods, my lighter car made more HP thus faster. This is my 3rd F bod V8 95, 98 , 02. My last two had the sport appearance package.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red

2009 CTS4 Ice Black

2013 1500 Silverado Z71

02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I never thought I'd be able to get an SS, since they were always too expensive, but one day my dad called me and told me he found a SS on autotrader and the guy said he'd sell it to us for $12,000 with 46K miles on it. I couldn't pass that up and I've had my car for 14 months now. let me tell ya what, driving an SS makes you feel pretty badass. I see Z28s all over the place, but my car gets more attention due to the hood scoop and spoiler. Chicks dig hoodscoops.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    I never thought I'd be able to get an SS, since they were always too expensive, but one day my dad called me and told me he found a SS on autotrader and the guy said he'd sell it to us for $12,000 with 46K miles on it. I couldn't pass that up and I've had my car for 14 months now. let me tell ya what, driving an SS makes you feel pretty badass. I see Z28s all over the place, but my car gets more attention due to the hood scoop and spoiler. Chicks dig hoodscoops.

You seem to be about the same age as me.

I bet your one happy guy, damn I just hope ill be able to get one. I think im gonna wait it out and try to find an SS..my dream is to have one that is a sunburst orange color...damn that would be awesome.

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by brodband View Post
    You seem to be about the same age as me.

I bet your one happy guy, damn I just hope ill be able to get one. I think im gonna wait it out and try to find an SS..my dream is to have one that is a sunburst orange color...damn that would be awesome.
    hey man im gonna jump in since im around you alls age. good luck with the sunset orange metallic. rare and pricey. thats a fact. there is one on ebay thats supercharged and mint if you can drop 19 grand.......

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post
    i love my z, like stated above, the ss is more for appearance. i like the wheels and hood and spoiler. i have an ss style hood on mine. but, i like to think of history cuz first gen z28s were the top dogs, ss's were more for apprearance and for so long chevy didnt even make an ss. i know i'll get flamed for saying that, i love ss's dont get me wrong. just my .02
    It's more than just appearance. Other differences include stiffer front and rear springs, larger anti-roll bars, power steering cooler and forced induction hood and larger tires and wheels. Performance advantage is probably marginal, mostly at high speeds.
    2000 Camaro SS, #1567, M6, Light Pewter Metallic, Whisper airlid, UMI subframes, Tuned by Frost, SLP Y-pipe, SLP Loudmouth.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitez28ss View Post
    It's more than just appearance. Other differences include stiffer front and rear springs, larger anti-roll bars, power steering cooler and forced induction hood and larger tires and wheels. Performance advantage is probably marginal, mostly at high speeds.
    More weight too. Especially the tires/wheels. While it may have a slight handling advantage over a Z28, straight line acceleration is a driver's race.

Let's face the facts. The hood is aesthetic, not really a true performance difference. Better aftermarket shocks/struts on a Z will take care of the handling discrepancy.

Don't get me wrong though, if I could choose between an SS or a regular Z28, and money wasn't the issue, I'd opt for the SS. But just because of the styling. Performance differences are not of any real significance.

According to many track testing episodes from various magazines back in the day when these cars were new,,,the ram air cars (WS6 and SS) did infact have a slight performance advantage at the drag strips, and it was attributed to the ram air induction from what all the testing gathered. Usually no more than a 1/10 but what I found even more interesting from those testings is they found the WS6 hood more effective, of course it is a direct shot to the air filter assembly compared to the SS which makes 2 pairs of 180 degree turns before the air enters the box,,,not as effective and the drag strip testing showed this,,,the same driver ran similar times with both cars but the WS6 would consistently out MPH the SS,,,again they chucked this up to a more effective ram air system.
    Thats old news and been discussed many times. Actually I thought a website like this dedicated to these cars would have archives to these old articles,,,or maybe they do and I am missing something here?

In all fairness though,,,,all that ram air advantage stuff gets tossed right out the window as soon as you take a standard Z or TA and cut out the air dam below the filter, it's a simple free mod that most everyone is doing anyway.
    But I think most of you are missing the point that an SS or WS6 is more than just aesthetic appearances,,,it has a collectable status that will be more prevalent as the years go by. If you think they are expensive now,,,just wait 15 years when all those low mileage prestine ram air cars come up forsale. People are starting to recognize some of the rare features of these cars now, colors, options, along with production counts,,,and the prices are starting to reflect that already,,,and some of these cars are barely 5 years old.
    I have both a standard Z and an SS and I can attest to the difference in driving abilities of both that Dwhite touched on. Just cruising around town here the SS feels like a much more capable car,,,it turns in nice and feels very stable, steering response is much more precise, the ride quality is much different but I can't quite put my hands on what. I am sure it's due to the larger sway bars and stiffer springs,,some even had optional adjustable shocks as well. Not that the standard Z-28 is terrible, don't get me wrong, they are capable handling cars that drive nice as well, but jumping in and out of each one of mine from day to day I can definately tell there is a big difference in the way they drive. Larry.

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I've never driven a z28 but from what I'm always reading I understand it all the same way. I know the SS hood counts for something more than just looks. If it was not functional it wouldn't cost so much and GM and SLP wouldn't have taken the time to put it on the car. Don't take it the wrong way but I think they're are some jealous z28 drivers out there who're just hating on the SS which isn't right. Why would anyone down play the effectiveness of these parts. I know the cars dyno about the same(key word "about"). Even at that I believe on average the SS still dynos like 10-30 more rwhp stock depending on what package is on the SS. I also know that the 60mph wind from the dyno fan is not going to do much for the ram air, so come on! Think about it! and lets keep it straight... STOCK 4 STOCK! of course a Z can be modded to and past SS performance levels but an SS can be modded more too!

FLAT OUT The SS is the better car out of the two over all. The Z is still a great car, its just lacking a few things.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information