Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33

Z28 to SS conversion

This is a discussion on Z28 to SS conversion within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; can anyone guide me to information on how to convert the Z28 ari intake to an SS intake after the ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    17

    black
    1999 camaro convertible

    Z28 to SS conversion

    can anyone guide me to information on how to convert the Z28 ari intake to an SS intake after the hood is installed? I love the look of the ram air hood and want the performance of the ram air as well. i think i have a pretty good idea as to how this will go but i want to make sure before i start takeing things apart. Thanks.

  2. #2
    COTM July '09
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Annapolis, MD
    Posts
    1,111

    BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

    Quote Originally Posted by mthorn View Post
    can anyone guide me to information on how to convert the Z28 ari intake to an SS intake after the hood is installed? I love the look of the ram air hood and want the performance of the ram air as well. i think i have a pretty good idea as to how this will go but i want to make sure before i start takeing things apart. Thanks.
    What year? LT1/LS1? I think LS1's have the same airbox (hood brings the air internally to the front opening of the regular airbox) while LT1's have a different airbox that mounts the filter on top of the engine.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    17

    black
    1999 camaro convertible

    it is a 99' Z28. thanks.

  4. #4
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    It has little rubber pieces on the hood intakes to seal and a rubber lip in front of the airbox. Please keep it a z-28, nobody likes the people that change the car and then claim a real SS. Not saying you would but letting you know.

  5. #5
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    It has little rubber pieces on the hood intakes to seal and a rubber lip in front of the airbox. Please keep it a z-28, nobody likes the people that change the car and then claim a real SS. Not saying you would but letting you know.
    I'm doing the same thing to my car.... only, I am going to get the old school Z\28 logos from TT|S and advertise the non-ssness of my car!

    2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

    2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

    2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

    2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    17

    black
    1999 camaro convertible

    thanks for all the replies. do they make a kit that comes with everything for making the change?

  7. #7
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by mthorn View Post
    thanks for all the replies. do they make a kit that comes with everything for making the change?
    They probably do, but your best bet would be doing it yourself. Get yourself an ss hood and ss spoiler. All the rest of the parts should be what you want for your engine. I wouldn't badge it SS though, you may get a shit storm for that one!

  8. #8
    Member Z ROADSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shreveport,Louisiana .USA
    Posts
    505

    PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

    Fuck em and feed em fish heads ! You do whatever you like . It's none of their business what you do to your car . That's just the SS ass-holes on here that think their car is something special , which it is . That's why so many people want to make their Z/28 look like an SS . Some think its ok & some think its a sacrilege . Like its somehow diluting their image or something . Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery & therefore should be considered a warm compliment not a slap in the face or something to get upset about . If performance is the measurement by which the two cars are measured then its a toss-up .

  9. #9
    I flame retards CamaroFan71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Posts
    1,068

    QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Fuck em and feed em fish heads ! You do whatever you like . It's none of their business what you do to your car . That's just the SS ass-holes on here that think their car is something special , which it is . That's why so many people want to make their Z/28 look like an SS . Some think its ok & some think its a sacrilege . Like its somehow diluting their image or something . Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery & therefore should be considered a warm compliment not a slap in the face or something to get upset about . If performance is the measurement by which the two cars are measured then its a toss-up .
    Well now....... I kind of agree with you, but again I kind of dont. While some say imitation is a form of flattery, others say it isnt. I think the problem is with the people who dont buy/cant buy a genuine "SS" and then put the SS things on the car and try to act like it. You dont see many people turning their SS's into Z28's. I for one have always been the type to not imitate others when they bought something I didnt. But thats just me....

  10. #10
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    Nobody said he cannot do it, we were telling him the way? The performance is the same, it's for looks? SS cars are numbered production cars each year, and "some people" may buy a "clone" and be pissed to find out later it is not real. Just like on Barrett/Jackson, the issue matters for cars from the 50's to now. People offer advice and help here, not "fish heads".

  11. #11
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 View Post
    Well now....... I kind of agree with you, but again I kind of dont. While some say imitation is a form of flattery, others say it isnt. I think the problem is with the people who dont buy/cant buy a genuine "SS" and then put the SS things on the car and try to act like it. You dont see many people turning their SS's into Z28's. I for one have always been the type to not imitate others when they bought something I didnt. But thats just me....
    not to be nit picky but SS's are actually z28s. just with the SS performance/appearance package. but as we all know, the actual true power of a stock SS vs. a stock Z28 are about as different as a stock Z28 to another stock Z28 or a stock SS to another stock SS

  12. #12
    Member Z ROADSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shreveport,Louisiana .USA
    Posts
    505

    PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

    Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    Nobody said he cannot do it, we were telling him the way? The performance is the same, it's for looks? SS cars are numbered production cars each year, and "some people" may buy a "clone" and be pissed to find out later it is not real. Just like on Barrett/Jackson, the issue matters for cars from the 50's to now. People offer advice and help here, not "fish heads".
    That's right . You were TELLING him THE way ! Let the guy do it HIS way .
    And as far as Barrett-Jackson goes , we've all seen some very high prices paid for well done clones . I find it not a dis-service to admire a clean car whether or not its a clone or an original . I'm not one to look down my nose at an admirer for copying my SS or Cobra or what ever the f**k .

  13. #13
    OOHHH YEAH! jray0305usa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    toledo ohio
    Age
    31
    Posts
    253

    black
    99 z28 a4

    im not much on clones but i am on hot roding if u can take the best of both cars and customize your own... ss wheels hoods and wings are sweet and the availability and name plate of z28... like i have ss rims on my z28... doesnt mean i wish i had an ss just means i like the wider rim and the appearance... i wouldnt mind having the hood to but i think its just as cool to have a z with ss parts or corvette parts for that matter... people have been doing it for years... imo id keep the car badged as it came with just make it more bad ass...lol

  14. #14
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    That's right . You were TELLING him THE way ! Let the guy do it HIS way .
    And as far as Barrett-Jackson goes , we've all seen some very high prices paid for well done clones . I find it not a dis-service to admire a clean car whether or not its a clone or an original . I'm not one to look down my nose at an admirer for copying my SS or Cobra or what ever the f**k .
    He asked for the way "how to" and what is used??? Please READ the posts. He did not know the way to do it. And he said thank you for the info.

  15. #15
    GM made me do it!! IT_SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    29
    Posts
    290

    Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

    Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'm doing the same thing to my car.... only, I am going to get the old school Z\28 logos from TT|S and advertise the non-ssness of my car!
    +1 2 the old school z/28, they are bad ass

  16. #16
    GM made me do it!! IT_SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Age
    29
    Posts
    290

    Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

    Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Fuck em and feed em fish heads ! You do whatever you like . It's none of their business what you do to your car . That's just the SS ass-holes on here that think their car is something special , which it is . That's why so many people want to make their Z/28 look like an SS . Some think its ok & some think its a sacrilege . Like its somehow diluting their image or something . Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery & therefore should be considered a warm compliment not a slap in the face or something to get upset about . If performance is the measurement by which the two cars are measured then its a toss-up .
    I love my Z28, but i love the look of the SS. The hood and the spoiler bring the car out more. What i don't like is when some one who has an "SS" tries to pull it off and i look @ the tire size in the door jam. 245/50 ZR16 = Factory Z28. 275/50 ZR17 = Factory SS.

    and personally, the term SS is a little over used. Any Chevy can be an SS. Only a Camaro can be a Z/28

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    17

    black
    1999 camaro convertible

    thanks for all the comments. i didnt mean to start a battle. i am just looking for more performance. i like the SS hood but i also like the Z-style hood as well. there are all kinds of companies out there that make the hood as well as the air box modification as well. i do appreciate all your help. i havent been doing this all that long and its good to gets others opinions.

  18. #18
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    BTW, as far as the factory SS hood is for performance its basically a good cold air intake when mated with a lid. the ram air doesnt "boost" untill real high speed. someone help me out here, there was a test done on this...

  19. #19
    Your dealership guy konigandy6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Romeo, MI
    Posts
    6,557

    Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by mthorn View Post
    thanks for all the comments. i didnt mean to start a battle. i am just looking for more performance. i like the SS hood but i also like the Z-style hood as well. there are all kinds of companies out there that make the hood as well as the air box modification as well. i do appreciate all your help. i havent been doing this all that long and its good to gets others opinions.
    Well good luck to you and keep us posted with updates and pictures!!

  20. #20
    Member JAGUAR5822's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, TX
    Age
    32
    Posts
    247

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

    For performance reasons it will be A LOT cheaper just to buy a fast toys ram air or similar intake, I believe that one actually makes more power than the ss setup. If you're going for looks, get the hood lol. I don't really care if people want to make their car look nicer with factory components, but if you ever sell it make sure they know it's not a real ss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. IN lbs to FT lBS Conversion
    By SMWS6TA in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-24-2010, 03:28 PM
  2. Ram Air conversion?
    By UKXK189 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-28-2007, 10:40 AM
  3. Ls1 vs Lt4 conversion
    By bandit-00 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-24-2006, 08:26 PM
  4. FS: T56 conversion for LS1
    By 1badchicken in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-24-2006, 02:30 PM
  5. Conversion to Ram Air
    By 2001bird in forum External Engine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2006, 09:58 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •