Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    1999 camaro convertible

Z28 to SS conversion

can anyone guide me to information on how to convert the Z28 ari intake to an SS intake after the hood is installed? I love the look of the ram air hood and want the performance of the ram air as well. i think i have a pretty good idea as to how this will go but i want to make sure before i start takeing things apart. Thanks.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by mthorn View Post
    can anyone guide me to information on how to convert the Z28 ari intake to an SS intake after the hood is installed? I love the look of the ram air hood and want the performance of the ram air as well. i think i have a pretty good idea as to how this will go but i want to make sure before i start takeing things apart. Thanks.
    What year? LT1/LS1? I think LS1's have the same airbox (hood brings the air internally to the front opening of the regular airbox) while LT1's have a different airbox that mounts the filter on top of the engine.

black
    1999 camaro convertible

it is a 99' Z28. thanks.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

It has little rubber pieces on the hood intakes to seal and a rubber lip in front of the airbox. Please keep it a z-28, nobody likes the people that change the car and then claim a real SS. Not saying you would but letting you know.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    It has little rubber pieces on the hood intakes to seal and a rubber lip in front of the airbox. Please keep it a z-28, nobody likes the people that change the car and then claim a real SS. Not saying you would but letting you know.
    I'm doing the same thing to my car.... only, I am going to get the old school Z\28 logos from TT|S and advertise the non-ssness of my car!

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

black
    1999 camaro convertible

thanks for all the replies. do they make a kit that comes with everything for making the change?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

thanks for all the replies. do they make a kit that comes with everything for making the change?
    They probably do, but your best bet would be doing it yourself. Get yourself an ss hood and ss spoiler. All the rest of the parts should be what you want for your engine. I wouldn't badge it SS though, you may get a shit storm for that one!

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Fuck em and feed em fish heads ! You do whatever you like . It's none of their business what you do to your car . That's just the SS ass-holes on here that think their car is something special , which it is . That's why so many people want to make their Z/28 look like an SS . Some think its ok & some think its a sacrilege . Like its somehow diluting their image or something . Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery & therefore should be considered a warm compliment not a slap in the face or something to get upset about . If performance is the measurement by which the two cars are measured then its a toss-up .

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Fuck em and feed em fish heads ! You do whatever you like . It's none of their business what you do to your car . That's just the SS ass-holes on here that think their car is something special , which it is . That's why so many people want to make their Z/28 look like an SS . Some think its ok & some think its a sacrilege . Like its somehow diluting their image or something . Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery & therefore should be considered a warm compliment not a slap in the face or something to get upset about . If performance is the measurement by which the two cars are measured then its a toss-up .
    Well now....... I kind of agree with you, but again I kind of dont. While some say imitation is a form of flattery, others say it isnt. I think the problem is with the people who dont buy/cant buy a genuine "SS" and then put the SS things on the car and try to act like it. You dont see many people turning their SS's into Z28's. I for one have always been the type to not imitate others when they bought something I didnt. But thats just me....

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

Nobody said he cannot do it, we were telling him the way? The performance is the same, it's for looks? SS cars are numbered production cars each year, and "some people" may buy a "clone" and be pissed to find out later it is not real. Just like on Barrett/Jackson, the issue matters for cars from the 50's to now. People offer advice and help here, not "fish heads".

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 View Post
    Well now....... I kind of agree with you, but again I kind of dont. While some say imitation is a form of flattery, others say it isnt. I think the problem is with the people who dont buy/cant buy a genuine "SS" and then put the SS things on the car and try to act like it. You dont see many people turning their SS's into Z28's. I for one have always been the type to not imitate others when they bought something I didnt. But thats just me....
    not to be nit picky but SS's are actually z28s. just with the SS performance/appearance package. but as we all know, the actual true power of a stock SS vs. a stock Z28 are about as different as a stock Z28 to another stock Z28 or a stock SS to another stock SS

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    Nobody said he cannot do it, we were telling him the way? The performance is the same, it's for looks? SS cars are numbered production cars each year, and "some people" may buy a "clone" and be pissed to find out later it is not real. Just like on Barrett/Jackson, the issue matters for cars from the 50's to now. People offer advice and help here, not "fish heads".
    That's right . You were TELLING him THE way ! Let the guy do it HIS way .
    And as far as Barrett-Jackson goes , we've all seen some very high prices paid for well done clones . I find it not a dis-service to admire a clean car whether or not its a clone or an original . I'm not one to look down my nose at an admirer for copying my SS or Cobra or what ever the f**k .

black
    99 z28 a4

im not much on clones but i am on hot roding if u can take the best of both cars and customize your own... ss wheels hoods and wings are sweet and the availability and name plate of z28... like i have ss rims on my z28... doesnt mean i wish i had an ss just means i like the wider rim and the appearance... i wouldnt mind having the hood to but i think its just as cool to have a z with ss parts or corvette parts for that matter... people have been doing it for years... imo id keep the car badged as it came with just make it more bad ass...lol

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

That's right . You were TELLING him THE way ! Let the guy do it HIS way .
    And as far as Barrett-Jackson goes , we've all seen some very high prices paid for well done clones . I find it not a dis-service to admire a clean car whether or not its a clone or an original . I'm not one to look down my nose at an admirer for copying my SS or Cobra or what ever the f**k .
    He asked for the way "how to" and what is used??? Please READ the posts. He did not know the way to do it. And he said thank you for the info.

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'm doing the same thing to my car.... only, I am going to get the old school Z\28 logos from TT|S and advertise the non-ssness of my car!
    +1 2 the old school z/28, they are bad ass

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

I love my Z28, but i love the look of the SS. The hood and the spoiler bring the car out more. What i don't like is when some one who has an "SS" tries to pull it off and i look @ the tire size in the door jam. 245/50 ZR16 = Factory Z28. 275/50 ZR17 = Factory SS.

and personally, the term SS is a little over used. Any Chevy can be an SS. Only a Camaro can be a Z/28

black
    1999 camaro convertible

thanks for all the comments. i didnt mean to start a battle. i am just looking for more performance. i like the SS hood but i also like the Z-style hood as well. there are all kinds of companies out there that make the hood as well as the air box modification as well. i do appreciate all your help. i havent been doing this all that long and its good to gets others opinions.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

BTW, as far as the factory SS hood is for performance its basically a good cold air intake when mated with a lid. the ram air doesnt "boost" untill real high speed. someone help me out here, there was a test done on this...

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

thanks for all the comments. i didnt mean to start a battle. i am just looking for more performance. i like the SS hood but i also like the Z-style hood as well. there are all kinds of companies out there that make the hood as well as the air box modification as well. i do appreciate all your help. i havent been doing this all that long and its good to gets others opinions.
    Well good luck to you and keep us posted with updates and pictures!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 SLP SS Convertible

For performance reasons it will be A LOT cheaper just to buy a fast toys ram air or similar intake, I believe that one actually makes more power than the ss setup. If you're going for looks, get the hood lol. I don't really care if people want to make their car look nicer with factory components, but if you ever sell it make sure they know it's not a real ss.

Thread Information