Z28 Denys First Gear!

This is a discussion on Z28 Denys First Gear! within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I recently installed a throttle body spacer which is "supposed" to give something like 8 hp. Immediatly after i installed ...

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28

Angry Z28 Denys First Gear!

I recently installed a throttle body spacer which is "supposed" to give something like 8 hp. Immediatly after i installed it, i took it on a test drive. I floored it at 20 mph (which is usually my best spot) and the car would not down shift into 1st gear, it just stayed in 2nd, which at 20 mph is horrible. The car is an A4. Please if you have any suggestions on how to fix it, let me know. Thank you

Black
    1998 Z/28

isnt there some 2nd gear start button or something? I'd make sure it was functioning properly
    http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheelieke5.jpg361hp 351tq 98 Z/28 A4 SLP Lid/Smooth Bellow/LM2 K&N Filter Pacesetter Headers TSP Y Pipe Z06 Style Wheels B&M shifter Yank 3200 Prothane Motor/Trans Mounts Torquer V2/7.425" p-rods/Comp Springs
    $, the replacement for displacement.

Awaiting Activation
    If the trans was good before you put the tb spacer on then take it back off and see if that fixes the problem. Either way just take it off - a TB spacer is a worthless piece of junk.

eating bulldog
    son of biscuit

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    If the trans was good before you put the tb spacer on then take it back off and see if that fixes the problem. Either way just take it off - a TB spacer is a worthless piece of junk.
    who knows...it works for the hondas...why wouldnt it work for domestics

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99blueZ View Post
    as usual, right on the money. +1 blue.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 98_Z28_ls1 View Post
    I recently installed a throttle body spacer which is "supposed" to give something like 8 hp. Immediatly after i installed it, i took it on a test drive. I floored it at 20 mph (which is usually my best spot) and the car would not down shift into 1st gear, it just stayed in 2nd, which at 20 mph is horrible. The car is an A4. Please if you have any suggestions on how to fix it, let me know. Thank you
    not too be a dick, but just trying to save you. explain to me how putting an inch of platic in between your tb an the intake will increase hp? now try to explain it to yourself. whenever faced with different mods (and i know engines are complicated, trust me) try to ask yourself if the product at hand and the claims it makes is logical. a throttle body spacer does nothing. its like the multi colored plastic wire covers, they look ok, but are they really performance oriented?

nah.

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    not too be a dick, but just trying to save you. explain to me how putting an inch of platic in between your tb an the intake will increase hp? now try to explain it to yourself. whenever faced with different mods (and i know engines are complicated, trust me) try to ask yourself if the product at hand and the claims it makes is logical. a throttle body spacer does nothing. its like the multi colored plastic wire covers, they look ok, but are they really performance oriented?

nah.
    Well I don't know about the fuel injected LS1 and spacers, because the intake design is quite a bit different. But I do know that spacers on conventional carb setups can be worth a ton of power. It helps the fuel/air to make that sharp turn by elongating the entrance.
    I can tell you a 1 inch open spacer is worth 3 tenths and over 3 mph on my 454 chevelle. We also got similar results installing the same spacer on my fathers 69 GTO. Different styles of spacers can have different effects, and this also depends on the type of intake being used, cam profile, etc....

As far as the downshift problem, I agree that if it wasn't a problem before then remove the spacer and see if things are okay. The computer controls the downshift speeds, and the only way to change it is in the programming. My 02 with the auto is programmed to downshift into 1st gear from 32 mph and below. I can't imagine the spacer effecting that, because as I said, this is a function of vehicle speed and throttle position sending input to the computer, unless the spacer somehow fudged the throttle position sensor? Larry.

Thread Information