Results 1 to 20 of 20

Z28; Just a name or does it have a meaning?

This is a discussion on Z28; Just a name or does it have a meaning? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Z28; Just a name or does it have a meaning? always wondered, did the first z have 280ci or what?...

  1. #1
    with a LS1 2MuchFun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,398

    Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

    Z28; Just a name or does it have a meaning?

    Z28; Just a name or does it have a meaning?

    always wondered, did the first z have 280ci or what?

  2. #2
    Consumer of kraut SiggyZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    4,773

    Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

    Just a brand name for the Camaro as far as I know.

    2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

    2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

  3. #3
    Member luvmyz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Council Bluffs IA
    Posts
    192

    nbm
    99 z28

    I believe it has something to do with gm getting into the trans am series racing back in the late 60s. thats how the dz 302 z came up anyway. i could be wrong.

  4. #4
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28



    it first started as a SCCA trans am racer and had the dz 302. the first available ones came out in dec. 1966. there was only 602 '67 z/28's all were coupes

  5. #5
    Member Z ROADSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shreveport,Louisiana .USA
    Posts
    505

    PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

    When the first Z/28's hit the streets in 1967 they only came one way. HD suspension,4-speed,no AC,4.11 gears due to the very close ratio trans. with a 2.20 low gear.Average ET was low 15's but a good one with an athletic driver could manage some high 14's which was pretty quick back then. But of coarse was never a match for my 67 Chevelle SS 396/350HP 4-speed with 3.08 gears & wide ratio trans. With 2 ply red line tires at hilltop drag strip I took A-pure stock class trophy's at 13.80 & 108 MPH , and that was taking off in second gear cause low gear was useless.Later went to 3.73 gears -headers-and full slicks but never had a chance to run at the track again. Most of our racing back then was for money on the streets & yes some guys would run for pinks back then .

  6. #6
    This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,517

    Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

    i read that it was an internal gm code. the project before was Z27... no meaning to it, as far as i know.

  7. #7
    This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    2,517

    Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

    from camarosource.ca:

    The "Z" in Z28 was not chosen to honor the legendary Zora Arkus-Duntov as has been reported. The Z28 designation was at first nothing more than another option code, along with others like Z23 for the Special Interior Group, or Z87 for the Custom Interior. But Z28 caught on with the public and ultimately became an official model name. However, Z28s built in 1967 had no external identification other than wide racing stripes.

  8. #8
    Member Z ROADSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shreveport,Louisiana .USA
    Posts
    505

    PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

    Yeah I think your probably right. I know in 1969 & 1970 the SS Chevelle engine was bored out to 402 CID but GM still called the SS engines " 396 " because that engine had such strong name recognition.The 396 was one bad ass engine.

  9. #9
    old timer blue02Z's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    31
    Posts
    3,805

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by hamburger68 View Post
    i read that it was an internal gm code. the project before was Z27... no meaning to it, as far as i know.
    the z27 was rpo code for the 350 SS

  10. #10
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    When the first Z/28's hit the streets in 1967 they only came one way. HD suspension,4-speed,no AC,4.11 gears due to the very close ratio trans. with a 2.20 low gear.Average ET was low 15's but a good one with an athletic driver could manage some high 14's which was pretty quick back then. But of coarse was never a match for my 67 Chevelle SS 396/350HP 4-speed with 3.08 gears & wide ratio trans. With 2 ply red line tires at hilltop drag strip I took A-pure stock class trophy's at 13.80 & 108 MPH , and that was taking off in second gear cause low gear was useless.Later went to 3.73 gears -headers-and full slicks but never had a chance to run at the track again. Most of our racing back then was for money on the streets & yes some guys would run for pinks back then .
    4.11's would have been 4.10 (10 pinion/41 ring), but that was an optional ration. 3.73 was standard. Posi wasn't even mandatory. Tranny could be M20, M21, or M22 but it had to be manual - no auto. No AC either due to the solid lifter engine (same with 396/375). Disc brakes were mandatory also. RS was an option also.

  11. #11
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    Yeah I think your probably right. I know in 1969 & 1970 the SS Chevelle engine was bored out to 402 CID but GM still called the SS engines " 396 " because that engine had such strong name recognition.The 396 was one bad ass engine.
    70 on up due to smog concerns. 69 was still 4.094" bore. 70 thru 72 was 4.125" bore. They did keep calling it a 396 because of all the advertising they had invested in the name.

  12. #12
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by blue02Z View Post


    it first started as a SCCA trans am racer and had the dz 302. the first available ones came out in dec. 1966. there was only 602 '67 z/28's all were coupes
    WRONG! SCCA T/A racer yes. 67 and 68 blocks are MO (federal emmisions) or MP (with A.I.R.) code. Only 69 blocks are DZ code. You are correct that the Z28 wasn't available until midyear (Dec 66) and only 602 were made. This was due to an SCCA requirement of a minimum 500 cars having to be available to the public to qualify for racing. Check this site for verification: http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Lincoln, CA
    Posts
    124

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    It was Chevrolet's option number for the trans am racing package. It's like the Z71 4x4 pickup trucks. That's the factory opiton identification and Chevy decided it sounded tech and cool enough to use it as a model name.

  14. #14
    Impounded
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Age
    39
    Posts
    129

    Pewter
    2000 Firehawk #506 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by RagTop View Post
    It was Chevrolet's option number for the trans am racing package. It's like the Z71 4x4 pickup trucks. That's the factory opiton identification and Chevy decided it sounded tech and cool enough to use it as a model name.
    Don't forget the Z24 Cavalier, Z26 Beretta, and Z34 Lumina, and of course...Z06 Vette.

  15. #15
    Member Z ROADSTER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Shreveport,Louisiana .USA
    Posts
    505

    PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    4.11's would have been 4.10 (10 pinion/41 ring), but that was an optional ration. 3.73 was standard. Posi wasn't even mandatory. Tranny could be M20, M21, or M22 but it had to be manual - no auto. No AC either due to the solid lifter engine (same with 396/375). Disc brakes were mandatory also. RS was an option also.
    The M20 tranny was a 2.20 close ratio only , & was the only trans. available in the 1967 Z/28 which required the use of the 4.11 posi-unit because the little high rev. engine didn't have much torque down low in the rev range & needed the 4.11's to get it moving. But once going would rev to 7000 RPM . Them's the cold hard facts.

  16. #16
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER View Post
    The M20 tranny was a 2.20 close ratio only , & was the only trans. available in the 1967 Z/28 which required the use of the 4.11 posi-unit because the little high rev. engine didn't have much torque down low in the rev range & needed the 4.11's to get it moving. But once going would rev to 7000 RPM . Them's the cold hard facts.
    So you're saying that the Camaro White book along with all the experts are wrong???? I'll concede the "close ratio" M21 tranny in the 67 YM as the M22 wasn't available til 68 YM. The standard rear end ratio was 3.73 though and G80 (posi) was an option. Chevrolet (GM for that matter) never made a "4.11" gear ratio for the 12 bolt. Pinion is 10 teeth and ring is 41 teeth. This makes it a "4.10". I still stand by the info on this site: http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml

  17. #17
    the cake is a lie twozs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    hopewell jct, ny
    Posts
    489

    black 01 red 73
    01 z28 and 73 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    So you're saying that the Camaro White book along with all the experts are wrong???? I'll concede the "close ratio" M21 tranny in the 67 YM as the M22 wasn't available til 68 YM. The standard rear end ratio was 3.73 though and G80 (posi) was an option. Chevrolet (GM for that matter) never made a "4.11" gear ratio for the 12 bolt. Pinion is 10 teeth and ring is 41 teeth. This makes it a "4.10". I still stand by the info on this site: http://www.camaros.org/index.shtml
    ugh yea ! the camaro white book is wrong beacause it states that in 73 air conditioning was available on the z28 for the first time but not with a 4 speed and i own a 73 z28 with air and a 4 speed wide raito muncie. so if their facts arent straight about that then what else. it was my understanding that posi /373 was standard and posi 410 was optinal but allways posi on a z

  18. #18
    Senior Member slims00ls1z28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    TN
    Posts
    1,212

    2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

    Rear discs were also optional.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Twin Beaches MD
    Posts
    68

    SOM
    '01SS Camaro,'09 Z06

    Quote Originally Posted by RagTop View Post
    It was Chevrolet's option number for the trans am racing package. It's like the Z71 4x4 pickup trucks. That's the factory opiton identification and Chevy decided it sounded tech and cool enough to use it as a model name.
    That gets my vote.

  20. #20
    Senior Member Too Fast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    54
    Posts
    5,170

    Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

    Yup option package number-------like WS6 is for Trans Ams.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New Meaning for Rat Motor
    By Nowhereman in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2011, 07:45 AM
  2. Been meaning to get one of these installed...
    By Kramsdell in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-23-2011, 07:46 PM
  3. New meaning of Rice
    By Knighthawk LS1 in forum Rocky Mountain Members
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-01-2007, 05:00 PM
  4. what is the meaning of STH
    By ss~zoso~ss in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-27-2006, 07:22 PM
  5. The meaning of 420 post !
    By Danger731 in forum Almost Anything Goes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-21-2006, 07:15 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •