Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Question Z06 Engine Question

I have my stock LS1, and I was wanting to pretty much make the top end like a z06. As far as I know, heads, intake, and cam. What else would I have to do and does anybody sell a kit or something that would do this? It is my daily driver, so I am thinking the z06 setup/tune would be pretty streetable. Anybody have any info on this or ideas of where to buy these parts? Thanks a lot!

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Assuming your trying to get to 200mph? I think your best bet is when you get it tuned, tell them you want it tuned for top end speed. Your car stock can hit 163, once you add cam, headers, ect. ect. thats just adding HP and of course you will be getting close to the 200 mark but I think the tuning would be your best bet.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

dont forget aerodynamics will set u back alot

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    Assuming your trying to get to 200mph? I think your best bet is when you get it tuned, tell them you want it tuned for top end speed. Your car stock can hit 163, once you add cam, headers, ect. ect. thats just adding HP and of course you will be getting close to the 200 mark but I think the tuning would be your best bet.
    Well i'm just curious more of what parts to get, etc. I know being a 98 my head bolts are different, center mounted I believe. Just wondering what to get, and what is the best combo for daily driving. I have found the slp LS6 intake that has the egr hookup and all.

Just wondering what heads, cam and where to find them. Will OEM z06 heads fit on my LS1? Thanks a lot for the help.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    dont forget aerodynamics will set u back alot
    Just take a huge ironing board or a big spoiler off of a civic

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    Well i'm just curious more of what parts to get, etc. I know being a 98 my head bolts are different, center mounted I believe. Just wondering what to get, and what is the best combo for daily driving. I have found the slp LS6 intake that has the egr hookup and all.

Just wondering what heads, cam and where to find them. Will OEM z06 heads fit on my LS1? Thanks a lot for the help.
    ofcourse. they are cast number 243 i believe. the z06 cam is alittle more radical (if you can call it that). you need different valve covers as your 98 has the perimeter. they also came with different valvesprings. may as well replace the oil pump too with a ported ls6 one for good measure.

save yourself trouble and by the block off plates and delete the egr and air pump, just unnecessary imo.

fyi, the heads between all the ls models essentially have different bores and different port sizes and shapes. they are all physically the same size. for instance, if you machined your deck height and bored her over, you could put the ls7 heads on there (i believe) if you were so inclined.
    how much are you looking to spend

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Quote Originally Posted by secondgearscratch View Post
    ofcourse. they are cast number 243 i believe. the z06 cam is alittle more radical (if you can call it that). you need different valve covers as your 98 has the perimeter. they also came with different valvesprings. may as well replace the oil pump too with a ported ls6 one for good measure.

save yourself trouble and by the block off plates and delete the egr and air pump, just unnecessary imo.

fyi, the heads between all the ls models essentially have different bores and different port sizes and shapes. they are all physically the same size. for instance, if you machined your deck height and bored her over, you could put the ls7 heads on there (i believe) if you were so inclined.
    how much are you looking to spend
    Heads and cam around $2000 give or take.

I know the ZO6 intake runs about $500. Just curious, how do my heads bolt up? The heads bolt up in the center right? Then the valve covers bolt on perimeter? I'm confused on that, do they make a z06 head to fit the 98 ls1? Thanks for your help. Maybe some links if you spot anything out there that fits this bill.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Search around for the best prices also dont forget about our sponsers, they will most of the time match prices and sometimes do even better. Might as well supoort them and get a great deal

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    Heads and cam around $2000 give or take.

I know the ZO6 intake runs about $500. Just curious, how do my heads bolt up? The heads bolt up in the center right? Then the valve covers bolt on perimeter? I'm confused on that, do they make a z06 head to fit the 98 ls1? Thanks for your help. Maybe some links if you spot anything out there that fits this bill.
    the valve covers are physically different on the 853 casting heads (97-98) but physically they are about the same as the 241 casting heads (99-02).

z06 intake is the ls6 intake. any years of ls1 heads are interchangable, same goes for the ls6 heads (243).

go to a sponsor like thunder racing or texas speed and get a heads/cam package with the prc ported ls6 heads and a little more aggressive cam of your choice. you will make more power this way as opposed to just trying to replicate an ls6 top end.

http://www.thunderracing.com

http://texas-speed.com/shop/

Thread Information