Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Y pipe and headers

My cats are going bad and threw a code can i do just Y-pipe and headers and keep the stock cat back.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Yes

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

yeah the stock cats got recalled, I have full exust, if your going to do headers and y-pype might as well do cat back, I whould assume that the reason that you dont want to change cat back is you might be thinking it might be too load for the cops , you dont have to get the loadest cat back out there, get a flowmaster 80 series, people of this foram dont like the 80 series cus its not as load and doest flow as good to lets a loadmoth or mangaflow, but my car sounds awsome and cops look at me but when you are in a camaro when dont they and the type of cats you get makes a HUGE differnet in sound I put on 200 Cell Slp cats when I put on my LT sound badass LOAD, I had to repalce them cus the cats they could not pass smog so I went with Magnaflow high flow 400 cell cats, pass smog but the car is 65-70% quiter!!! Food for thought
    2002 Camaro Z28 Stock Ls1 longtube Slp Headers,Slp Y-pype, Flowmaster 80 series ,Level 10 Trans, Moser 12 blot 3.73s 33-spine axels tru-track posi, 335rwhp 345rwtq (STOLEN!!! 02/2011)

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I think thats what im gonna go for, Pacesetter LT's and ORY pipe and then flowmasters

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

keep in mind any LT are not legal cus they move the cat feather back make sure the header has an egr to pass the sniffer and as far as smoging your car it will pass the sniffer but the visual you need someone cool and wont care you have headers pacesetter is a good header but slp has a performace garantee on there LT they gatantee that no other LT that are the same size and made of the same matierl will flow more !!! that why I went slp!!! I have 3'' form the collecter for the muffler, RAW!!!

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rmaverickz28 View Post
    yeah the stock cats got recalled, I have full exust, if your going to do headers and y-pype might as well do cat back, I whould assume that the reason that you dont want to change cat back is you might be thinking it might be too load for the cops , you dont have to get the loadest cat back out there, get a flowmaster 80 series, people of this foram dont like the 80 series cus its not as load and doest flow as good to lets a loadmoth or mangaflow, but my car sounds awsome and cops look at me but when you are in a camaro when dont they and the type of cats you get makes a HUGE differnet in sound I put on 200 Cell Slp cats when I put on my LT sound badass LOAD, I had to repalce them cus the cats they could not pass smog so I went with Magnaflow high flow 400 cell cats, pass smog but the car is 65-70% quiter!!! Food for thought
    exhaust*
    pipe*
    would*
    loud*
    loudest*
    forum*
    loud*
    doesn't*
    loudmouth*
    awesome*
    difference*
    LOUD*
    replace*
    quieter*

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    exhaust*
    pipe*
    would*
    loud*
    loudest*
    forum*
    loud*
    doesn't*
    loudmouth*
    awesome*
    difference*
    LOUD*
    replace*
    quieter*
    forgot "you're" between "exhaust" and "pipe"

OP - SLP LTs are the WORST LTs you can ever buy, period. Not only are they WAY over-priced, but the fitment and ground clearance is the worst on the market. And we won't even go into how terrible SLP's customer service is and how ridiculous their horsepower advertisements are.

If you have the cash, get stainless steel. Kooks and ARH are the top two brands. If you are looking for a budget header, look into something like Pacesetter as you mentioned.

Depending on your local smog enforcement, you may or may not need to keep your catalytic converters. If you remove them, you'll need to have the code tuned out. Removing them has no adverse affect on performance.

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

ok I not the best speller what do you guys want for pointing it out to me cookies and milk, slp headers have great ground clearance for longtubes, might not be the best aournd , and that is a meth about ground clearance and slp headers, there "Tune Lenth" headers suck in clearance,but I had my car lowered and 1in and I love my slps LT and I had mac mid leth , now that was bad ground clearance, and as far as being over priced ,no way, I was compareing other systems and slp was right around there, I love all the LT for the F-body but when the car is lowered you will scarp even the stock system I have, and as far as the price thing goes
    Edelbrock 65732
    Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers GM Camaro/Firebird 2000-02 LS1 Engine
    GM Camaro/Firebird
    Item# 350-65732
    Ships Today
    Only $431.99

Pace Setter 72C2256
    1998-02 Camaro/Firebird 5.7L LS1 Long-Tube Armor Coat finish 1-3/4 primary tubes 3 collector Race version no A.I.R. or EGR
    General Motors
    Item# 766-72C2256
    Ships Today
    Only $454.99

Hooker Headers 2469-1
    Competition Headers
    1-3/4'' Primary Tubes
    3'' Collector
    Fits 2000-02 F-Body
    Ceramic Coated

2000-02 F-Body
    Item# 520-2469-1
    Ships Today
    Only $461.99

I got my headers-y-pipe,and cats for $1400
    Come on keep it real guys, I know how its is you hear something about a part then you belive it I was like you on Slp headrs and ground clearance, and did some reseach and got my slps I just put them on like 60 days now, and I love they way they sound and they clearance, I have all kinds of speed bumbs,potholes and stuff no problem also I have a BONE STOCK LS1 and I hit 335Rwhp,345rwtq on a A4, an a 70k motor!!! So as a owner of slp LT I say you are wrong sir but to remind you I am not the target here, FORD is!! So for the whole mispelling thing
    Last edited by Rmaverickz28; 11-24-2010 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    My cats are going bad and threw a code can i do just Y-pipe and headers and keep the stock cat back.
    That's exactly what I've done to both of our 4th gens. Keeps the noise levels acceptable.

Actually both of our SS's have the optional SLP dual/dual (one with CME) which is basically already a 3 inch catback, so I never saw the need to change either of them.
    But I've known of a few guys that left the stock (standard GM) catback in place for a stealth factor.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Hey man....were a very social forum here, we pick on each other and like to have a few laughs at each others expense.....welcome to the forum

pewter, silver
    02 Z28/00 SS450rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by Spikito View Post
    Hey man....were a very social forum here, we pick on each other and like to have a few laughs at each others expense.....welcome to the forum
    laugh at a mustang GT and this

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

How is Speed daddy headers?

http://www.ls1.com/forums/member.php?u=38287

PM this member he has headers and ypipe with a stock catback...if i remember right he has a video of it as well

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Rmaverickz28 View Post
    I have a BONE STOCK LS1 and I hit 335Rwhp,345rwtq on a A4, an a 70k motor!!! So as a owner of slp LT I say you are wrong sir but to remind you I am not the target here, FORD is!! So for the whole mispelling thing
    You have LTs, Y-Pipe, etc....your car is NOT BONE STOCK...sorry.

Pewter
    99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    forgot "you're" between "exhaust" and "pipe"

OP - SLP LTs are the WORST LTs you can ever buy, period. Not only are they WAY over-priced, but the fitment and ground clearance is the worst on the market. And we won't even go into how terrible SLP's customer service is and how ridiculous their horsepower advertisements are.

If you have the cash, get stainless steel. Kooks and ARH are the top two brands. If you are looking for a budget header, look into something like Pacesetter as you mentioned.

Depending on your local smog enforcement, you may or may not need to keep your catalytic converters. If you remove them, you'll need to have the code tuned out. Removing them has no adverse affect on performance.
    I dont see how there fitment and ground clearance can be difficult. I have the slp LT's on a lowered z28 and never bottomed out not once have they scraped. and I'm on stock shocks in the rear. Clearance, they fit fine all we had to do was bang one small ding in the left pipe to clear a temp sensor like u would with any other LT. and fitment, they bolt right up to the slp y-pipe, no weldin for clamping involved. hp wise... I dynoed 331whp with 347wtq with a stock motor.

You'll find alot of various opinions on SLP here, so don't take it personal. Alot of naysayers here that have obviously had their share of problems.
    I for one have never had an issue with SLP and like some of their products.

The headers from SLP are hit and miss. There are so many variables that come into play on fitment.
    Such as worn motor mounts, or new poly mounts that may not position the engine exactly where it should be. Cars that are lowered, cars that are not lowered but maybe the suspension is getting old, the type of terrain that you drive on, aftermarket heads that have moved the exhaust ports,,,etc....

We will never know the answers to all these questions from most of the complaints here, so you have to take it with a grain of salt.
    Alot of people also don't take into account the SLP headers are made the way they are because they are "tuned length" primary tubes. You only have so much room to work within the confines of a 4th gen engine bay.
    Not sure of too many others (if any) manufactures even make tuned length headers for a bolt on street application, unless you get into high dollar custom stuff.
    If it were me and I needed tuned length headers, I would first throw in a tubular K-member to free up some room, and then have a custom set made.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    This was my plan. Except add an e-cutout. Best of both worlds.

Onyx Black
    2001 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    This was my plan. Except add an e-cutout. Best of both worlds.
    This^^^

I have seen plenty of cars that were impressive that ran the stock GM catback and just put a cut out in front of it.

A header is essentially a header. As long as it is long tube vs long tube there isnt much power to be gained with going with a more expensive header. The only thing that will net you will be different primaries which if you are stock will hurt you more than help by going with anything larger than 1 3/4" primaries. If you like the show car quality of stainless or drive your car in the snow then stainless would be best. My car doesnt see anything but sunny days and we RARELY have snow here and I have had pacesetters for 3 years and the rust from them being coated isnt any issue. I dont have any holes in mine.

As far as SLP is concerned I agree with "Firebirdjones" over the years I have had my hands on multiple set of headers and even the brand new headers for the 5th Gen Camaros and they seem to be hit or miss, which like he stated depends on several factors. They have never really impressed me for what they cost, so I have always just gotten other headers that I could get cheaper and did the same thing just as effectively if not better.

Hope this helps and good luck with your purchase.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Maybe Curtis will see this thread and post pics of his SLP headers he had...

Thread Information