Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

y pipe banging

This is a discussion on y pipe banging within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; If it's clunking that bad, I have reservations that new mounts will fix that. Have you crawled under the car ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

If it's clunking that bad, I have reservations that new mounts will fix that. Have you crawled under the car at all to see what's going on and where exactly it's contacting? The metal will likely be shiny where it's banging at.

If you're scraping all the time, I'd say a hanger has broken causing your setup to hang too low.

I had the SLP Y-pipe installed on my old exhaust setup with OEM manifolds and the only noise I experienced was where the Y-pipe goes over the rear axle.
    It's on jackstands.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    I got the 7-1908 motor mount and trans mount kit by prothane. They sell separately or as one kit. I think I got mine through amazon.
    Just ordered this set myself in black. got mine off ebay though
    2000 Jet Black M6 Trans Am aka Kitte:
    SLP lid, cai kit, smooth bellows; Hawks HPS pads/slotted rotors; Centerforce D7X street/strip clutch; DDM HID conversion; Black w/ metal lip C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims; free ram air mod; Bilstein HD shocks; LTs and ORY; Magnaflow quadtip catback

Quote Originally Posted by wraith23 View Post
    Just ordered this set myself in black. got mine off ebay though
    yep i found a seller selling for 96.99. i'll be ordering it soon

I have the exact setup you described in post #10. Pacesetters and Texas Speed Y. The fitment is excellent, doesn't hang low, actually hard to see from the side of the car, yet never touches the floor. I still run the OEM 15 year old engine mounts on mine with no issues what so ever.

The Texas Y has a nicely made Y, especially the driver side with an extra bend and an extra joint that other Y's don't have to clear the floor in that area, and as a result it has alot more adjustability to get it "just right".

I'd bet if some time was spent adjusting everything, tweaking here and there, it could be made to fit better and not be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I have the exact setup you described in post #10. Pacesetters and Texas Speed Y. The fitment is excellent, doesn't hang low, actually hard to see from the side of the car, yet never touches the floor. I still run the OEM 15 year old engine mounts on mine with no issues what so ever.

The Texas Y has a nicely made Y, especially the driver side with an extra bend and an extra joint that other Y's don't have to clear the floor in that area, and as a result it has alot more adjustability to get it "just right".

I'd bet if some time was spent adjusting everything, tweaking here and there, it could be made to fit better and not be an issue.
    you might have the newer model. when i purhcased this car used it had this setup. i took it to a muffler shop and the Y pipe is already laying on the floor for the car and there is NO available space to play with it because it is literally touching against the floor of the car. when i took it to the muffle ship he pretty much adjusted the rear of the pipe because it was disconnect half way because i hit a pot hole hard and it opened, also the exhaust tips were touchign the bumper so he moved it around...however the Y pipe under the driver and passenger side has literally no space for movement.

And you can't pull it down to create space? If it's already touching the floor now as you described, and you can't create space there, then it sounds to me that poly engine mounts aren't going to fix your problem.

You either need to adjust the Y-pipe down away from the floor or you need to start all over from scratch with a new Y-pipe. I haven't found one yet that couldn't be adjusted when you have a liquid wrench

What kind of pot hole did you run into that caught the exhaust system? Sheeesh, lol.

And you can't pull it down to create space? If it's already touching the floor now as you described, and you can't create space there, then it sounds to me that poly engine mounts aren't going to fix your problem.

You either need to adjust the Y-pipe down away from the floor or you need to start all over from scratch with a new Y-pipe. I haven't found one yet that couldn't be adjusted when you have a liquid wrench

What kind of pot hole did you run into that caught the exhaust system? Sheeesh, lol.
    it was actually a sewer cap portuding, lol. NYC for ya. and hmm...im nervous about that. dont wanna spend so much money on a new setup.

I was also thinking that btw. i was afraid even with the new mounts ill still get smacking on the floor board since it is up against the floor already. must have something to do with how the previous owner had it installed

i've been going crazy trying to get this fixed...i've purchased prothane mounts on ebay, went to the mechanic and he suggested i go to a muffler shop because it's most likely a problem with the pipes, where they can play with it. however, i went to one by the junkyard at citi field (i live in nyc), and these guys were goina charge me 20 just to check it out, i agreed. then, i told them be careful of the quarter panel tab thingy where if you lift it and touch it, it pushes out the quarter panel, also can crack the tab. he lifted, and sure enough the panel popped out a bit. i yelled to put it back down, i told him to BE CAREFUL, and he said it was already like that (yeah okay, i was staring at it as it popped out), then he took out the lift arms, and said "sorry i cant do anything, bye". so he wasted my time and cracked my tab thingy...cool. So, i went back to a muffler shop that i am familiar with (the last one was suggested to me by the mechanic) and he lifted it no problem (no charge) and basically said theres nothing at all he can do. he tried to move it as much as he can, he stuck a crobar in between the exhaust and yanked it to try to bend and try to lower it, and did what he could, and said try to drive and see what happens. he didnt charge me anything, but i gave him a 5 for the effort. this is the second time going to that shop (for a different reason) and every time he plays with it, the exhaust vibrates/slaps the floor board in different patterns. as of now, it vibrates/slaps in a quick session for like 2 seconds, then goes away. doesnt slap the floor board for as long as it used to, but the problem still is there. also, as he raised the car, i went under and checked it out with him, and the pipe is hitting the floor board in a couple places, it's not the entire pipe touching the floor, it is actually a little off from the floor board...but as i accelerate, it basically raises and slaps/vibrates violently on the floor board (you can see some of the marks where it scratches underneath). he's saying because it's such a fat pipe, it moves a lot...
    i am a little iffy about getting the mounts replaced because im not sure that it will fix it, plus i dont wanna pay like 300, plus the 95 i paid for the mounts...im actually going to return the mounts today.
    Last edited by sezo; 06-10-2015 at 11:03 AM.

Holy Cow!! Don't any of these self proclaimed mechanics even own a torch??

Heat those pipes up and a pry bar and you can make those pipes do anything you damn well please.

If they aren't willing to do that or you can't find someone with a torch, then I'd buy a new Texas Speed Y-pipe and install it. I have tons of floor clearance with mine, plenty of ground clearance (can't even see it) stock mounts, no banging.

Holy Cow!! Don't any of these self proclaimed mechanics even own a torch??

Heat those pipes up and a pry bar and you can make those pipes do anything you damn well please.

If they aren't willing to do that or you can't find someone with a torch, then I'd buy a new Texas Speed Y-pipe and install it. I have tons of floor clearance with mine, plenty of ground clearance (can't even see it) stock mounts, no banging.
    i suggested that to him too...asking if theres a way to heat the pipe and bend it..he said nope! cant do that!...i cant do anything like that on my own..i dont have a garage or space or tools or even the experience... :\

it's like there are no good mechanics here in nyc..

Wow, that's a piece of cake to do. It would take me a whole 30 minutes to accomplish, and that includes getting the car on and off the lift, and moving 3 cars out of the way to access the lift, lol.

Wow, that's a piece of cake to do. It would take me a whole 30 minutes to accomplish, and that includes getting the car on and off the lift, and moving 3 cars out of the way to access the lift, lol.
    i'll be coming to arizona for your help then...lol. anyway, thanks for your help man..appreciated...at this point i feel like i wanna sell the car...less headache..but i dont know who in their right mind would buy the car after test driving and hearing that banging..

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by sezo View Post
    i'll be coming to arizona for your help then...lol. anyway, thanks for your help man..appreciated...at this point i feel like i wanna sell the car...less headache..but i dont know who in their right mind would buy the car after test driving and hearing that banging..
    Here are a few last tips as this problem used to drive me insane, first where the y pipe comes together in a single pipe and connects with a clamp - (get some wood shims and where the y pipe touches under the drivers door put the shims in to create some clearance) get a 3 inch band clamp and some header wrap and while the y pipe is shimmed tighten the joint where the y pipe meets the single point (wrap the joint in header wrap and pit the band clamp over it. After that tighten everything else up as well on the y pipe sections and you will be good. Another thing to try that works is oval in out the y pipe in the sections that come across the drivers door.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

I would head to Jeff's place it's a lot closer to NY.

Also find a new shop. It seems this guy just didn't want to deal with it. I had an exhaust shop weld in my SFC's for just $40.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information