Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: y pipe banging

y pipe banging

So i've posted several threads before about my 99 z28 having banging under the car from a steady hard acceleration from a stop. I'm pretty sure it's down to the y pipe now and not the tranny mount or motor mounts, they've been checked. I saw on the ls1tech forum that a lot of people with my same setup (LT headers with y pipe) have banging from the pipe, so they stated that mostly everyone has gotten if fixed from poly motor mounts. I wanted to see if anyone here experienced this and fixed it with poly motor mounts. I want to be sure because i'm only 21 and am a full time student and work full time in retail, so i don't have crazy money to spend like ya'll, lol. I've taken it to a mechanic who has lots of experience with ls1 and he also suggested poly mounts when i took it to him to check. However, according to him it is a big job and he wanted to charge me 300-400 dollars for it all, with tranny poly mounts. Also, i'm not a mechanic so i can't install anything crazy like that. Maybe just headlights, or bulbs, lol. Any suggestions are helpful. Since i'm a student and only 21 the best route to save money is helpful, also maybe some price ranges on how much poly mount installation would really be. thanks guys

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Easiest fix is to install the exhaust brace -- let me see if I can go find that thread.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    ive seen that brace before too; but where exactly does it get installed?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

From the description, it appears that you install it in place of the driver side clamp where the header collector and Y-pipe are joined.

Link: Y-Pipe Support Bracket - Mufflex Performance Store

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Here are the instructions for installation. It does not replace any existing bracket but does use an existing bolt to install. Even better, it has some built in adjustment that you can use to tailor it to your car.

http://i936.photobucket.com/albums/a...6/scan0001.jpg

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Thanks, Steve. I read the description on the their website and wasn't entirely certain.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

It works very well on my car and definitely stopped some of the banging. Quick and easy install.

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    It works very well on my car and definitely stopped some of the banging. Quick and easy install.
    thanks , maybe ill be purchasing this soon

Thanks, Steve. I read the description on the their website and wasn't entirely certain.
    i saw the pictures of under your car on that forum link and it looks very clean. My setup-according to the guy i bought it from- are pacesetter long tubes, texas speed y pipe, high flow cats, and loud mouth quad tips. Not sure if it is very different from yours, but seeing yours, you have great floor clearance. My y pipe sags very low and almost any little bump i go over, it hits/scrapes..not sure what i can do to fix this?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I have Kooks headers and catted Y under our car. It took me a bit to get the Y-pipe adjusted just right during the install. It has never clunked, even when I was still running the stock engine mounts. You may be able to re-adjust your Y-pipe for additional clearance. In extreme cases, a strategic cut and a band clamp can work wonders. If I recall, the Kooks Y had a union on the driver side pipe that allowed for the assembly to be rotated towards or away from the underbody.

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans am WS6

From the description, it appears that you install it in place of the driver side clamp where the header collector and Y-pipe are joined.

Link: Y-Pipe Support Bracket - Mufflex Performance Store
    Be forewarned however this will not work with the SLP You pipe due to the location of the rear o2 sensor. To fix mine I pulled the y pipe off and ovaled it out a bit on the drivers side then I shimmed it with wood to hold it in place while I sinched down the bolts, after that I just put a few tack welds on it for some added security and blammo no more banging.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Good to know.

this is pretty random but if i was going to install prothane motor mounts for a permanent fix on the y pipe banging, can you link me on the best ones? i havent been able to find them and not sure which are the right ones..the y pipe is a lot more violent now

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Prothane is what I installed in my car. So far they seem pretty good. But I just them a few months ago and have put less then a 1000 miles on them.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I got the 7-1908 motor mount and trans mount kit by prothane. They sell separately or as one kit. I think I got mine through amazon.

what are the differences in the numbers etc? which ones should i get for my 99 z28

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    I got the 7-1908 motor mount and trans mount kit by prothane. They sell separately or as one kit. I think I got mine through amazon.
    can you help? what does the 7-1908 model mean when looking at these mounts? what difference does it make? what's the best one i should be getting? And if you were getting any banging under your floor from the y pipe, did this fix it? Im hoping it'll fix mine for good..it's smacking pretty violently. im scared to even accelerate hard in my z28 which is sad due to the y pipe hitting so hard.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

7-1908 is the prothane product number. It's the motor mount and trans mount in one package. I don't have a y-pipe setup mines a x-pipe. But mine was rubbing against the torque arm and I switched out the mounts and it stopped alot of the movement and stopped the noises.

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    7-1908 is the prothane product number. It's the motor mount and trans mount in one package. I don't have a y-pipe setup mines a x-pipe. But mine was rubbing against the torque arm and I switched out the mounts and it stopped alot of the movement and stopped the noises.
    good enough thanks. Im gona have it done at a shop because i dont have nearly the experience, time, or space to do it. how long should it take so i know the price?

Thread Information