Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Worst year for Camaro?

This is a discussion on Worst year for Camaro? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I'd say that just about all Camaro's/Firebirds/TA's look great when in solid shape. The problem is that 95% of the ...

White
    2001 Trans Am WS6

I'd say that just about all Camaro's/Firebirds/TA's look great when in solid shape. The problem is that 95% of the time you see a 2nd or 3rd gen they are beat all to hell and that negatively impacts peoples perspective towards them in general. Hell, I even get complements on how clean got 4th gen is...most of those you see around here look like crap.
    SiggyZ likes this.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Just kidding about the 02 SS. I love mine. I think the mid 70's Camaro's are the cars I would vote for. If you look at them they have pieces that look like they were glued on and the power was way down.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Blue
    2002 SS Camaro

Big diff within Gens, I had a bunch from diiferent years. I never liked 67-68, but 69 was cool. 70-74 had some power and I liked them, I have to admit my 75 was a dog until I dropped a 327 in it! after 75 they added a lot of warped plastic to them until 3rd gen. I must admit I lost some interest at that point 3rd Gen weren't my favorite. 1993 started the 4th Gen and I was happy again, liked the square headlights. Not sure I want to buy a 5th Gen? I can't say one was worse than the others. The good thing about pre-75 was was the rear window was smaller, but remember before rack and pimion these things didn't handle well.

Handling? Hmm. I based my first opinion on looks alone. But if I had to pick from driving experiences, I'd have a different answer.

I owned the first 4 generations simultaniously, and still have a 1st, 2nd, and 4th in the stable currently.
    My 3rd gen was an 88 Iroc L98, and was my favorite handling f-body out of the bunch. Right away you could tell it was lighter than the 4th gens we have or had. Much more nimble and very comfortable to drive, liked it much better than any 4th gen we've had (and we've had 4 4th gens). Unfortunately I gave in and sold the Iroc to someone that wanted it more than I did. The only reason we have had so many 4th gens and not a 3rd gen Iroc anymore is because very nice, clean, unmollested examples of 3rd Gen Irocs aren't falling off trees anymore. Otherwise I'd have a couple of those instead of these 4th gens.

As far as handling, of course comparing old to new is apples to oranges, but for their time, if you ordered specific models, GM had some very capable handling 1st and 2nd gens if you knew which model to buy. That was the intent of the 1st gen Z28, and the 2nd gens took that even further. As a matter of fact, the 2nd gen Tran Am in 1970 was quicker on the road course than the 1970 corvette that year, a little food for thought.
    I love driving my 70 formula, very nimble car for it's time. While in stock form it obviously doesn't handle as well as a 4th gen Z28/TA, or a 5th gen, I definately like the ride quality in my 70 better than any 4th gen we've had.
    Most may not notice it if they drive it everyday and don't have something to compare to, but when I get out of one and jump in the other, the 4th gen is a kidney buster compared to my 1st and 2nd gen.

So if I had to pick any single generation to dislike based on my driving experiences, and being the old geeser growing up around the classic stuff I might be a little bias, but the 4th gen would be my least favorite from a driving standpoint. Not saying it's a bad car. It does have "decent" looks, and I can get some great fuel mileage out of them with plenty of power, but there are things that would make me keep the other generations I have over a 4th gen.
    Things like the harsh ride quality, the difficulty of maintenance, rear suspension design, cheap plastic interior parts to name a few, and of course the lesser value of a 4th gen. It has a great engine for sure, but would prefer a different platform if I had a choice. They do have the cheap prices going for them, and plenty out there to choose from. Wad one up and it's easy to find another one, which is why we've kept 1 or 2 of them in the stable (it's easily replacable at the current time). As years pass and it gets harder to find a clean example, this may change though.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-20-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I would have to say any 5th gen with that stupid RS body kit. Worst looking thing ever!

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    I would have to say any 5th gen with that stupid RS body kit. Worst looking thing ever!
    The RS doesn't give it a bodykit. The bodykit is a GM accessory and can be added to any Camaro. But I agree... it's turrible.

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    The RS doesn't give it a bodykit. The bodykit is a GM accessory and can be added to any Camaro. But I agree... it's turrible.
    And that's just it for me. I'm sure the 5th gen is a much better car than a 4th gen all around and probably does everything better. I just haven't gotten past the looks of it though. After 15 years it might grow on me like most everything else.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    And that's just it for me. I'm sure the 5th gen is a much better car than a 4th gen all around and probably does everything better. I just haven't gotten past the looks of it though. After 15 years it might grow on me like most everything else.
    It's a car... not a tumor.

SiggyZ likes this.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I'd honestly say I think this is the worst Camaro ever made.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post

Click for full size
    Agreed

SiggyZ likes this.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Wifey's Grocery Getter
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

If we are just talking about looks for worst year it would have to be 1975. Ugly and slow for sure.. Although the 5th gen may be ugly to some especially the 5th gens with that dumb ass slide back sunroof im sure its better built than any previous camaro. At least i hope.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

I don't think that the RS bodykit on the 4th gen looked that bad tho, The car doesn't have as high as a shoulder line as the 5th gen Siggyz
    SiggyZ likes this.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post

Click for full size
    I never realized the body kit just stops in the front of the car like that. Is that supposed to be like that, or is part of it missing?

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

It's supposed to be like that. They designed the kit to not wrap the front completely due to bottoming out and clipping the front, damaging it.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I never realized the body kit just stops in the front of the car like that. Is that supposed to be like that, or is part of it missing?

red
    1999 camaro Z28

Yeah, I never liked how the RS body kit did not come all the way around the front either. From a performance standpoint I'd have to say mid-70's is the worst, at least in factory form. Quality overall wasn't very good back then either. Remember cars from that era rarely making it to 100,000 miles without rebuilding something. From the 90's on it's rare that they don't see 100k in 5-7 years. I've seen very good looking cars of all years with alot of work of course.

Blog Entries

black an red
    00 z28 and 00 corvette

1975-1983

My first Camaro was a 1987 2.8 & I swear that thing had 4.11 gears. It was a 5-speed & could smoke the tires almost as well as my 2002 SS. My 87 had 135hp & my 02 SS has 375hp (after a few tweaks). I loved that car & the torque led me to thinking that my next car just needed to by a V6. So my next Camaro was a 1997 3.8. After a while, I wanted more power & thus, got my 2002 SS. While looking for my next car, I saw plenty of gen 1 & 2's & am actually thinking I made the right choice in buying a very low mileage 4th Gen with an LS1.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

5th Gen. Its just way too big. Might as well drive a land yacht instead.

red
    1999 camaro Z28

I like the looks of the 5th gens, I just could not deal with its drive by wire

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information