Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Wing Aerodynamics

This is a discussion on Wing Aerodynamics within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I upgraded to the SS Wing on my Z28 because I heard there was a huge difference with the centripical ...

Midnight Blue
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

I upgraded to the SS Wing on my Z28 because I heard there was a huge difference with the centripical force.
    I easily shaved .8 seconds off my 1/4 mile time with the SS wing on, omfg what a difference it made!

ok.... I put it on for looks.

Already had a Carbon Fiber SS hood so I picked up a SS wing to match...

No difference besides looks in my opinion.

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Yeah I def. agree on looks for sure. You had me going for a second, I was like wait a minute.....

I am really curious who designed it and if they would happen to agree with us on the just for looks opinion. Kind of interesting...

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

well i live close to a lake, so my car is fogged over almost every morning, once i get on the highway, the water beads and runs back on my car, and i notices that all the air the comes across the front fenders goes up on the doors and from there, it and the air off the roof go down under spoiler.

from what i can see, watching the water, our cars are a lot more aerodynamic than mustangs, a lot of their air goes down the sides. but hey, thats just me

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by 2002Sebring1sc View Post
    O.K. here goes the quick and simple version of ground effects or air damming. As your car increases in speed you start to push a bow wave, it is an area of relatively higher pressure air in front of your car. This is due to the compressibility of air. Of course an air dam will partially block the air flow under the vehicle creating an area of relative low pressure compared to the upper surface, and it holds your car down to the road. Great news. But it comes at a price. You have to deal with a little something called "area rule". Look at your car head on, every square inch that you can see (the air dam, grill, cowl, wind shield, roof line, mirrors, ect) are creating drag. Add all those inches up and represent as a big flat piece of plywood and it's shocking. Now push that through the air, of course streamlining makes a huge difference by reducing turbulence and drag but you get the picture. The bottom line is DRAG IS DRAG whether it's from an air dam (i.e. ground effects) or a spoiler (wing) and as speed is increased drag increases by the square.

Great post, this should be stickied somewhere

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

The little lip on the SS should help a bit at speed. Notice the little blip of a spoiler on the Z06's and Zr1's they are not much smaller. I don't remember the exact conversion units in amount of downforce but as Sebring said a small spoiler acts much bigger than it is.

Want to improve high speed handling without adding drag? Make the bottom of the car flat with a diffuser in the rear. Reduces lift without adding drag. Notice all NASCAR, Indy cars etc bottoms are as flat as possible as are most supercars.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

what about this wing i saw today?

This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

well, on the pic it looks like the front of the wing is higher than the rear, so it'll create an up force, therefore putting more weight on the front wheels, adding traction for this fwd. not for long of course, it'll spin out in the first high speed curve.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

ah, interesting

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Camaro SS

I was reading somewhere that the Z28 spoiler has 100 pounds of downforce at 60mph, could be wrong.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information