Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This Light Dinner Is Over hamburger68's Avatar

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Question Wing Aerodynamics

i've been wondering: is the ss wing aerodynamicly different from the z28 wing? like more downforce? or is it just appearance?

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

My guess is mostly appearance with only slight additional downforce. Despite popular belief, the SS package is mostly an appearance package with only slight suspension performace gains, imho. I would be curious to see the aerodynamic number of the z28 vs ss and formula vs ta wings. I am sure somebody on this site has those numbers.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

...cause significant differences in downforce between the models would really influence driveability at higher speeds, the cars all have similar suspensions.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28 A4

the small lip on the SS wouldn't really add much downforce...(I don't think)... the TransAM wing might do something though... don't know... it'd be interesting to see some numbers on that

white
    2002 z28

from some local rich racers in my area the ta's like to swtich there wings to the formaulas for the flat deck soo they can add a extention from sheet metel for better air contact. but hey that could just be a fad.

white
    2002 z28

but IMO i think it really dont matter what wing or anything we have on our cars casue we are not drafting on the oval or at the bonniveille salt flats

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

Isn't it true that wings only come into affect over 120mph or something like that? I remember learning that a long time ago.

white
    2002 z28

i deliever to the BEHR wind tunnel and GM wind tunnel in detroit, next time im there ill try to remmeber to ask

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

awesome idea, they might be able to shed a light on this!
    and as for the speed, the faster you go, the stronger the aerodynamic forces. but you'll have a noticeable effect from +/- 80 mph up. for me it's really interesting, cause i travel at speeds above 100 mph a lot, 155 or so is my top speed so far.

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    from some local rich racers in my area the ta's like to swtich there wings to the formaulas for the flat deck soo they can add a extention from sheet metel for better air contact. but hey that could just be a fad.
    Not a fad. Take a look at John Force's funny car...but of course he is going 300+.

white
    2002 z28

didnt mean a fad, just when one guy should up to the races the next month there was about 5 cars like that

white
    2002 z28

and john force car is totally different, but i know what your trying to say

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Yeah, I hear what your saying. I wouldn't recommend sticking his deck lid to our cars either. To those guys following the fad. Tell them suspension mods are so much "cooler"...plus they will actually help with traction and handling.

PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

The audi tt had to be fitted with that little lip because the first cars were losing grip at high speeds and spinning out/wrecking without it so I would think there would be a number difference with bigger spoilers on the f-bodys. I do think it is cosmetic mostly tho.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    The audi tt had to be fitted with that little lip because the first cars were losing grip at high speeds and spinning out/wrecking without it so I would think there would be a number difference with bigger spoilers on the f-bodys. I do think it is cosmetic mostly tho.
    that audi tt thing was a big scandal here in germany shortly after the car came out. the new tt, like other high end sportscars, has the little electronic fold out wing with a threshold speed around 70 mph.

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

Quote Originally Posted by aerojt View Post
    Isn't it true that wings only come into affect over 120mph or something like that? I remember learning that a long time ago.
    I think it makes a difference at lower speeds tho, if you look at those little propeller planes, they take off at like 50-60mph. They are using the same force as our wings, just upside down.

Think about it like this, if you stick your hand out the window @ 65mph, and angle your hand similar to the angle of a spoiler feel how much it pushes your hand down. You can feel it. And the wings on the cars are bigger then your hand so they will generate more force. Also your hand isn't as smooth and air slips through your fingers so it's losing some downforce. Hopefully that makes sense...

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

perfect example!

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 02ultraZ View Post
    I think it makes a difference at lower speeds tho, if you look at those little propeller planes, they take off at like 50-60mph. They are using the same force as our wings, just upside down.
    Not a good comparison at all. The spoiler is shaped NOTHING like the airplane's wing. Airplane wing generates lift by forcing the air on top to move faster than the air on the bottom, which reduces pressure on top, which creates the lifting effect. The spoiler simply forces the air to change direction, but for every action there is an equal & opposite reaction, so when the spoiler forces the air up, the air forces the spoiler down.

Silver
    1998 Camaro Z28 A4

well, cars need spoilers because the body (especially of our cars) is shaped like an airplane wing and creates that lifting force...

SOM
    '01SS Camaro,'09 Z06

In a post several years ago on the SSOA site the F-Body Godfather(if my menory serves me correctly) claimed GM had done extensive wind tunnel testing and the wings ARE functional, highly functional at speeds

Thread Information