Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Will a cop pull u over even if???????????

This is a discussion on Will a cop pull u over even if??????????? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Ripper415 ditto for NY. it pisses me off that my slp ss grill is being obstructed, but ...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Ripper415 View Post
    ditto for NY. it pisses me off that my slp ss grill is being obstructed, but i dont have the balls to risk $100+ tickets. plus once they pull me over for the plate i'm sure they'd give me another ticket for my tints being too dark (the law in NY just went from 35% to freaking 70%, might as well not have tints). so yea basically NY state sucks.
    Yea I have the same problem with the tint. I think mines 20% as well and it can only be 35% here. 70%!!!? Ur right there really isn't much of a point having tint. So they can get me with the tint and license plate, but I haven't gotten it registered yet, but that'll happen soon.

I saw some great talk about this law here....http://blogs.kitsapsun.com/kitsap/ro...front_pla.html

Modern cars are not made for a use to place a dish in the front anymore. Forcing owners to damage vehicles to drill holes in front bumpers just to attach a licence plate makes no sense. The fact is, a damaged vehicle will hinder the vehicle's resale value. The fact is when the resale value is lowered due to this requirement, government will lose significant amount of money in sales tax revenues, meaning more lack of funds for officer equipment, pay raises to officers, and lack of funding to maintain and upgrade highways. These factors will lead to a significant loss of economic development.
    Authorities will concentrate more to target dangerous driving than to utilize their valuable time simply pulling drivers over for a vehicle's appearance such as a lack of a front plate. Many crimes currently taking place will be solved more easily due to the fact officers will arrive the scenes quickly and not spend time confronting and ticketing drivers for not having a front dish on their personal properties.

This guy brings up a very valid point about our resale value if I ever decide to sell...hahah yea right, but anyways good point. I would like to start a petition to get the law changed around here, but it'd probably would take a few years even if I did get enough signatures. Someone also said that the DeLorean is exempt from front license plates, because you'd have to cut into the metal to do it, corvettes don't have a spot to mount their license plate either, I just noticed that since I have the problem myself. And why do cars 1972 and earlier not have to sport a license plate?

Oh check this out...this is getting rediculous!....automated license plate recognition http://www.gizmag.com/go/7024/

Here's all the state laws http://www.javasigns.com/info/signs/3825
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 04-01-2007 at 08:38 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I can take a pic tomorrow and post it on here, no problem.
    hey, how bout that pic? plz

sorry pic is coming today.
    Cars 72 and older still have to have a front plate, at least here in Ohio,,,my chevelle, firebird, and nomad all need the front plate. I have these vehicles registered as historical though, which allows me to run a model year tag which is pretty cool, no stickers needed, no need to renew every year,,it's a done deal. Problem is though,,,is cops don't recognize these model year tags as being legit,,,and I get pulled over quite a bit for that. I have to show proof of model year registration and I have to always carry the historical tags in the trunk. Perfectly legit, but some cops are just not aware of it. Since these cars seem to attract cops for what ever reason,,,I have to make sure they have the front plate, I have all paperwork, all lights are working etc...because these older cars are cop magnets unfortunately. You get used to it after a while. Larry.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Damn, sucks for you guys,

here in FL we don't need the front plate... wooohooooo

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Yea I remember seeing Mississippi is the same way when I was there for school last summer. I envy you.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

ever take that pic firebirdjones? i'd love to see what it looks like, i think it might be a good compromise for me. i'm just wondering if it ever scratches on thr ground or speed bumps, etc. i'm assuming it hangs lower than the cowl does? thats why i need a pic lol.

Oooops sorry for the delay, I loose track of these posts,,lol.
    Here ya go. It doesn't drag,,,it's mounted level with the air dam, you would have to drag that first. Although possible, my car is not lowered and I am carefull with it anyway. It may be more of an issue on a lowered car. Then again, it's just a license plate, if it dragged the ground I wouldn't be heart broken. I would rather have the plate hit the ground before the air dam.

Hope the pic turns out okay. As you can see if you are back away from the car 10 feet or so it's plenty visible, and this is the view most of the cops get anyway when they are driving towards you. Hope it helps. Larry.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-10-2008 at 11:12 AM.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Thx for the pic, yea that's about what imagined. I'll probably do the same to avoid attention. Thanks a lot for the idea!

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

dude that looks really really good. you're a f-in genious! only thing is i just installed the ssra kit and it hangs about 2.5 inches under the front bumper. here are some pics
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...46_37_full.jpg
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...46_36_full.jpg
    i dunno if it would work on my car.

What is that SSRA thing? Looks like maybe some sort of cold air setup? I think your right from the looks of it the plate may be covered up.
    LOL, thanks for the kudos but it was a friend of mine that told me about it so I can't take all credit, but I'm pretty happy with it, and it keeps me out of trouble. Just hope the idea helps out a few more people. Cheers, Larry.

Red
    2000 Z28 Camaro M6

Thats a pretty good idea

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

yea the ssra is a cai kit just like the fast toys one but it has a 2nd piece that connects underneath the bumper which gives it a few more hp. i'm actually surprised no one talks about them on this site but over on ls1tech there's been literally hundreds of posts about it.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

yea the ssra is a cai kit just like the fast toys one but it has a 2nd piece that connects underneath the bumper which gives it a few more hp. i'm actually surprised no one talks about them on this site but over on ls1tech there's been literally hundreds of posts about it.
    where did you get this and how much was it? it makes way more sense than the slp one im forced to use. i was gonna make my own, but parts are starting to come in, im going to be busy, and i know i wont feel like torching shit such as an intake.

tech is run by nazi stang owners......

You are right, I have never seen mention of this. It's the first time I have seen anything like that. I currently run the SLP version on mine which doesn't come down that low. But I am very interested in what you have there. Could you please give some more details? Larry.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'12 Silver SS 1SS
    '00 Black SS #8617

dude that looks really really good. you're a f-in genious! only thing is i just installed the ssra kit and it hangs about 2.5 inches under the front bumper. here are some pics
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...46_37_full.jpg
    http://memimage.cardomain.net/member...46_36_full.jpg
    i dunno if it would work on my car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You are right, I have never seen mention of this. It's the first time I have seen anything like that. I currently run the SLP version on mine which doesn't come down that low. But I am very interested in what you have there. Could you please give some more details? Larry.
    man, i can just see that thing sucking in water and hydrolocking the engine. no wonder people over on TECH are talking about it. that's a disaster waiting to happen, if it hasn't already...

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Here in Oklahoma, we are cheap. We don't have front license plates because the law doesn't require them. We don't even have state inspections or emissions tests. However, if you get pulled over by some A-hole Highway Patrol, they can make you take your car in if it's too loud or suspicious in any way. Unfortunately, some chick had my car before i did, and she put some tag on the front that said, " Kiss My SS"....funny, but kiiiiinda gay. So I took it off, but now i've got a problem with the four screw holes in the grill, so i'll probably just take that off too. We used to have Z28 State Troopers here, but those cars have all been auctioned off now (wish I had the money at the time, police interceptor LS1's rock!)

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

ugh, apparently i've let the genie outta the bottle with the whole ssra thing. i dont really feel like debating all the pro's and cons of it and/or explaining every detail about it either as that would take hours and dozens of posts. if anyone wants to know more about it go to the external engine section of the ls1tech message board (sorry to mention another board on this site, i dunno if it's against the rules but its really the only place ive seen with a lot of specific info about the ssra kit. this is probably because the creator of it has been a member there for several years. and i admit, i dont really like that board as much as this mainly due to the obnoxious attitude of many of its members/moderators).
    so here's all i'm gonna say about the ssra....
    it's a quality design thats been around for several years and HUNDREDS of people have bought it. the top part is very similar to the fast toys ram air kit except that it is made of plastic instead of metal and it angles away from the radiator instead of laying flat against it (both of these aspects help to reduce heat soak and dont make the car run hotter than normal). it also has a second piece that connects from underneath the front bumper to the top piece that acts to force more air in (giving it a true ram air effect rather than just a regular cai). i've read dozens of posts about people driving in rain/through puddles with it and only once heard of someone sucking water into their engine, but that was because they drove into what they thought was only a small puddle but which was actually several feet deep and immersed the entire front end of the car (ie. moron). i've personally driven through heavy rain with it and when i got home checked underneath the lid/air filter and everything was perfectly dry, so i'm not worried about it anymore. it can be purchased from a few different fbody stores online (i'm not gonna name them because i'm not sure which ones are sponsors or not and i KNOW that posting non-sponsor links is against the rules. so just do a google search for ssra). it generally costs like $20 more than the fast toys piece but has the benefits of letting the car run cooler as well as being worth a few more hp. but i was able to be part of a group purchase a while back that saved me $25 anyway. there are only 2 real drawbacks to the ssra. the first being that you have to screw into the underside of your front bumper to attach the 2nd piece (many people dont care about that but some purists who treat their cars like virgin cherries might). the 2nd being that as you can see from my pics, it DOES hang down underneath the car. making the possibility of accidentally knocking it off when parking over a curb or another raised object. as you could guess, this is mainly a problem on cars that are lowered from the stock height. as you can probably see from my picture, i was safely able to drive over a wood wheel stop on my driveway that is at least 4 inches high and so far i've never run into a problem parking it (but my car isnt lowered). i suppose if i were to ever get my car lowered or come across a rediculously large cement parking block, i'd just make sure i didn't pull forward past the nose of my car. the general consensus is that it adds about 15 rwhp. but this can vary depending on what else is done to the car. i've seen dyno graphs ranging from 12 to 18 rwhp so i figure 15 is about average. overall it's a great piece and im very happy with it.

Thanks for the post ripper. At first I thought you weren't going to give any info on it. And I don't really want to log onto another website just to read about something. But then you described it quite well. I appreciate that. Never heard of the fast toys kit either that you mentioned.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

I actually purchased and paid for the SSRA through one of the sponsor sites (mm) and the owner contacted me 3-4 days later and told me that the guy who makes them went out of business!? WTF? Anyway, I ended up having to get the SLP cai instead. This blows because I believe the SSRA was a superior product...unless you get into a slow speed car accident (front end damage) situation and end up cracking the plastic SSRA...which would not be cool $$ wise.

That is the info given to me.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    I actually purchased and paid for the SSRA through one of the sponsor sites (mm) and the owner contacted me 3-4 days later and told me that the guy who makes them went out of business!? WTF? Anyway, I ended up having to get the SLP cai instead. This blows because I believe the SSRA was a superior product...unless you get into a slow speed car accident (front end damage) situation and end up cracking the plastic SSRA...which would not be cool $$ wise.

That is the info given to me.
    like i said in my other post...i dont know who that was but at the time i bought mine (3 weeks ago) there were 3 sites selling them, as well as the creator of it. and it's definately still being made. if i were you i would DEFINATELY return the slp piece if you still can and try to get the ssra or at least the fast toys. the slp kit is advertised to make 10 rwhp, which means it prob makes at most 8. being that its almost as expensive as the other cai's it's a total waste of $.

to the guy who never heard of the fast toys piece....i'm kinda suprised at that. im pretty sure a good amount of people have it from this site. you guys need to go to the external engine forum here and do a search. it's also sometimes referred to as its acronym ftra.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information