Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 78

why do i feel guilty falling for the new camaro?

This is a discussion on why do i feel guilty falling for the new camaro? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Zinergy Then you must not do any agressive driving that requires braking lol. My 2000 t/a didnt ...

  1. #41
    Senior Member jknelms's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    2,327

    Arctic White
    1999 Trans Am A4

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Then you must not do any agressive driving that requires braking lol. My 2000 t/a didnt have good enough brakes, neither did my legacy or my 2001 cbr600f4i, nether did my supra. So i upgraded them all. All my vehicles have atleast rotors and pads upgraded some have more than that.
    also to mention, it's much easier and takes less time to change disk brake pads over drum brake pads.

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by jknelms View Post
    also to mention, it's much easier and takes less time to change disk brake pads over drum brake pads.
    agreed. I guess drums are ok if you drive around town slow all the time. But if you drag race, street race, road race, drift race or just like to have fun getting on the gas tehn IMO good brakes are a must. Even on my DD i upgrade the brakes and tires to help avoid accidents.

  3. #43
    Junior Member johno's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Harrisburg,PA
    Posts
    61

    Black &Gold &Tan Inside
    2001 WS6-NHRA

    side by side hands down the ws6 is still the bad ass.

  4. #44
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    agreed. I guess drums are ok if you drive around town slow all the time. But if you drag race, street race, road race, drift race or just like to have fun getting on the gas tehn IMO good brakes are a must. Even on my DD i upgrade the brakes and tires to help avoid accidents.
    I actually drag race one of the cars with the 4 wheel drums. Never really had any issues. With 4.56 gears the motor does a pretty good job slowing it down. No need to take the first turn off either
    They actually do well in a panic stop, they are good for at least 1-2 high speed stops in a row,,,,and will lock up all 4 if you try. It's when they get hot after a couple of hard repeated stops you have to worry, but I've never found more than one stop necessary in a given amount of time,,,

    They have some advantages as well. They are generally lighter than a typical disc brake setup, and have less unsprung weight as a result.
    They also have less drag while the car is in motion which equals better MPG and faster ET's at the track. And for those that hate brake dust,,,well you just don't get any with drum brakes
    You can do other things to upgrade them for more stopping power. On mine I installed station wagon wheel cylinders on all four corners. They have a larger bore diameter for more pressure. There are some awsome shoes on the market now, and switching to aluminum drums not only helps to disipate the heat, but you have less unsprung weight as well. GM used aluminum drums throughout the mid to late 80's on alot of the G-bodies, and it's a great upgrade.

    Check out Musclecarbrakes.com They sell all the upgrades for drums and have some very interesting and usefull info on there. They aren't as bad as some people make them out to be.

  5. #45
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Then you must not do any agressive driving that requires braking lol. My 2000 t/a didnt have good enough brakes, neither did my legacy or my 2001 cbr600f4i, nether did my supra. So i upgraded them all. All my vehicles have atleast rotors and pads upgraded some have more than that.
    Read above.

  6. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Read above.
    Thats fine and dandy, but i know guys who do all types of racing and they upgrade all there cars to disc, yes even there drag cars. Its better end of story. You can say what you want but noone in the past 20 years has tried to argue that drum brakes are better because they simply arent. Im glad you like yours and dont feel a need for anything better but for almost everyone else in the performance world they arent enough.

  7. #47
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Thats fine and dandy, but i know guys who do all types of racing and they upgrade all there cars to disc, yes even there drag cars. Its better end of story. You can say what you want but noone in the past 20 years has tried to argue that drum brakes are better because they simply arent. Im glad you like yours and dont feel a need for anything better but for almost everyone else in the performance world they arent enough.
    Lets not twist this around now,,,,I never said they were better. I just said they aren't as bad as people make them out to be, and they do have some advantages. I just hope the facts and info I posted helped to open peoples eyes a bit and realize that.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Lets not twist this around now,,,,I never said they were better. I just said they aren't as bad as people make them out to be, and they do have some advantages. I just hope the facts and info I posted helped to open peoples eyes a bit and realize that.
    I like the non brake dust part but thats about it. Maintanence is worse, performance is worse, the look is worse. But to each his own

  9. #49
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I like the non brake dust part but thats about it. Maintanence is worse, performance is worse, the look is worse. But to each his own
    Performance??? is only worse in some areas. I've installed the musclecarbrake setup on several customer cars and have had great results. The shoes they sell are great, have them on the back of my chevelle and firebird. The oversize wheel cylinders they sell are the same thing I mentioned earlier,,,stationwagon parts,,,and you can get those at any local parts store and save some coin. Just that alone makes a noticable improvement.

    Maintainance???? I don't see any difference there, they adjust themselves, I've never had them squeak, (an annoying factor on disc brakes). They just don't need attention from my experience unless you've done something wrong on the install.

    Looks??? That's only a matter of opinion and doesn't have any bearing on the facts. Most all factory wheels from that era you can't even see through anyway,,,,so it's a non issue

    But hey if it makes ya feel better so be it. I'm not knocking disc brakes, they are a wonderfull thing. Just alot of people are not schooled on drums, especially the youngins here that were born into the disc brake world. They can be made to work admirably.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Performance??? is only worse in some areas. I've installed the musclecarbrake setup on several customer cars and have had great results. The shoes they sell are great, have them on the back of my chevelle and firebird. The oversize wheel cylinders they sell are the same thing I mentioned earlier,,,stationwagon parts,,,and you can get those at any local parts store and save some coin. Just that alone makes a noticable improvement.

    Maintainance???? I don't see any difference there, they adjust themselves, I've never had them squeak, (an annoying factor on disc brakes). They just don't need attention from my experience unless you've done something wrong on the install.

    Looks??? That's only a matter of opinion and doesn't have any bearing on the facts. Most all factory wheels from that era you can't even see through anyway,,,,so it's a non issue

    But hey if it makes ya feel better so be it. I'm not knocking disc brakes, they are a wonderfull thing. Just alot of people are not schooled on drums, especially the youngins here that were born into the disc brake world. They can be made to work admirably.
    They arent schooled on it because its old tech that almost noone uses. Almost no cars are made with drums hell most trucks arent either. You spend time and money upgradeing your drums when you could just swap over to disc setup and have better stopping power. Drums are dieing because people want cars that can do all things well, not just accel anymore and discs are obviously better for stopping.

  11. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    harrisburg pa.
    Age
    61
    Posts
    868

    black
    02 vette vert

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    They arent schooled on it because its old tech that almost noone uses. Almost no cars are made with drums hell most trucks arent either. You spend time and money upgradeing your drums when you could just swap over to disc setup and have better stopping power. Drums are dieing because people want cars that can do all things well, not just accel anymore and discs are obviously better for stopping.
    i read both sides of this and it just leaves me with one question. whats your point after personal opinions have been expressed?

  12. #52
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    i read both sides of this and it just leaves me with one question. whats your point after personal opinions have been expressed?
    Because its not personal opinion, drums are gone because the world found a better way to make there cars stop.

  13. #53
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    They arent schooled on it because its old tech that almost noone uses. Almost no cars are made with drums hell most trucks arent either. You spend time and money upgradeing your drums when you could just swap over to disc setup and have better stopping power. Drums are dieing because people want cars that can do all things well, not just accel anymore and discs are obviously better for stopping.
    Wow, I hope you are not that single minded about everything Hell I like disc brakes, I'm not knockin' em'. I can understand people wanting to upgrade, that's what started the whole pro-touring thing.
    But,,,,most collectors like myself keep the cars as is for collectable reasons. It's not that we can't upgrade to disc,,,,we just choose not to on certain cars.
    It's not a matter of which one is better than the other, there is just much more to it than that for some of us.

  14. #54
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Because its not personal opinion, drums are gone because the world found a better way to make there cars stop.
    Actually,,,,you have expressed alot of personal opinion about the subject.
    I on the other hand have only mentioned facts with pros and cons about both sides. I can only hope that it opens the eyes a bit.

    No body here is saying drums are better, I think disc brakes are great too.

  15. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Wow, I hope you are not that single minded about everything Hell I like disc brakes, I'm not knockin' em'. I can understand people wanting to upgrade, that's what started the whole pro-touring thing.
    But,,,,most collectors like myself keep the cars as is for collectable reasons. It's not that we can't upgrade to disc,,,,we just choose not to on certain cars.
    It's not a matter of which one is better than the other, there is just much more to it than that for some of us.
    I understand the guys who wanna keep everything orig, hell i have 4 uncles with orig cars from the late 60s/70s. But the moment you upgrade/change 1 thing on the car its not orig anymore and its pointless to leave the stock drum brakes if your changing it in anyway and have the means to upgrade.

  16. #56
    Moderator Firebirdjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    12,552
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I understand the guys who wanna keep everything orig, hell i have 4 uncles with orig cars from the late 60s/70s. But the moment you upgrade/change 1 thing on the car its not orig anymore and its pointless to leave the stock drum brakes if your changing it in anyway.
    You can't see what I've got hiding behind the drums

  17. #57
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Actually,,,,you have expressed alot of personal opinion about the subject.
    I on the other hand have only mentioned facts with pros and cons about both sides. I can only hope that it opens the eyes a bit.

    No body here is saying drums are better, I think disc brakes are great too.
    What was my personal opinion? The fact that i like the way rotors and calieprs look through rims? Thats about it everything else was i need my cars to stop better than that and you obviously dont so those are both personal opinions.

  18. #58
    Member Pirate BlackJack Jay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    San Diego, California, United
    Posts
    658

    SOM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang Killa View Post
    The idea of my bird being the last I like, when I first heard of and saw the new camaro it did do anything for me...but I think the fresh 18yr old nailed it..the idea of having a virgin car lol...I still have such a sense of loyalty to my car :/
    dont worry... you'll end up like me... wanting one so bad.. then realizing its not worth the payments when you can mod the car you have.... i REALLY wanted one! but now.. i just admire them... i couldnt handle the payments.... well atleast for the Camaro i want! RS/2SS.. Sun roof.. ect... haha

  19. #59
    Member anniversary30's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Illinois
    Age
    46
    Posts
    657

    White/Blue
    99 Trans Am

    Dooon't doooo it!!!!! you'll be sorry!!!!

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    174

    Pewter
    2001 Z28

    I know I am gonna get bashed for this but I hate the new camaro. So GM who could have done something new in 2003 decided fuck it just stop. Ford was on the ball and actually came up with a new idea, WOW and it sold like no tomorrow. I guess what I m trying to get at is they could have done any piece of shit and put the name camaro on it and someone would be like oh thats cool. The car looks ok from some angles but the back is horrible and when I seen it in person thought the back was even worse. Dont get me wrong I loved seeing a new camaro out but they could have done so much more. To those who really like it good for you but it just doesnt seem like what I expected. I will never fall in love with it like I have third gens and then ls1 fourth gens. Sorry for the ramble.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Help: What is falling off my car?
    By kool-aide in forum General Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-09-2008, 05:06 PM
  2. Should I feel guilty for hating my wheels?
    By Mustang Killa in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 05:05 PM
  3. I feel sorry for this camaro
    By 99blueZ in forum General Help
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 01:54 PM
  4. Door falling apart
    By mrhzk35404 in forum Appearance Section
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-06-2006, 10:44 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •