Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Whats it worth.

This is a discussion on Whats it worth. within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I've been doing a lot of searching on the net lately for 01-02 SS Camaros, and pretty much the ones ...

Scene of the Crash
    I've been doing a lot of searching on the net lately for 01-02 SS Camaros, and pretty much the ones I find aren't less than $20k. If I was gonna get one, I'd want one with extremely low miles, like almost new. So, either everyone is asking a lot for a 4th gen SS or they really are worth over $20k

Silver
    2002 Z28

Lol.... well shoot. I guess I'm just gonna bite my tongue now! Did an autotrader search and didn't come up with what I thought I would; guess 20k isn't so bad...

Strange, because I look up a 2002 Camaro SS with all options and 12k miles... at suggested retail, in excellent condition, and it's still only 18,715. I'll never understand why blue book value doesn't regularly coordinate with actual sales prices... to that end though, I still wouldn't want to pay more than what the book says it's worth; I'd put in the specifics and offer that, as I feel that's the most you should pay, and I normally aim to pay less than the private party cost...
    She's baaaaaccccck...

'02 Z/28 M6 Hardtop

Scene of the Crash
    Quote Originally Posted by ProwlerZ View Post
    Lol.... well shoot. I guess I'm just gonna bite my tongue now! Did an autotrader search and didn't come up with what I thought I would; guess 20k isn't so bad...

Strange, because I look up a 2002 Camaro SS with all options and 12k miles... at suggested retail, in excellent condition, and it's still only 18,715. I'll never understand why blue book value doesn't regularly coordinate with actual sales prices... to that end though, I still wouldn't want to pay more than what the book says it's worth; I'd put in the specifics and offer that, as I feel that's the most you should pay, and I normally aim to pay less than the private party cost...

Yeah, normally I would stick with the Blue book value as well, and I would normally pay a little under that, but if someone is asking $22k or even $20, I doubt that they would come down that far. I mean I would think that a car being 5-6 years old would depreciate to some degree, but these people are asking close to sticker, even with miles as high as 40k. I would like to get one, but shit, I don't want to pay an arm and a leg for one, if thats the case I might as well go for the Vette.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I would offer the guy 19 grand. If he says no then offer 19.5 and if he says no give him your name and number and leave-he will call.

Scene of the Crash
    Realistically speaking.............do you think a 4th gen is really worth that much? I mean with the new Camaro coming out and all, I would guess that they are going to be in the neighborhood of $26-$32k I wouldn't think they'd have this much value on them.

It depends on how the individual looks at it.

For starters I don't think the new camaro is going to be $26-32,000 for a Z-28,,,,,,,,maybe a V-6 camaro it might be,,,but now thats not an apples to apples comparison though.

Plus we are talking about an SS camaro here forsale with low miles. They didn't exactly fall off trees when they were new,,,and a low mile one is even harder to find. Shucks they haven't made them for 6 years,,,and I don't believe the new camaro can replace what we had in all honesty.

Now someone said people are asking near sticker for these cars,,,I have to disagree. I know mine stickered for well over $30,000,,,,,,I think 32 or 33 I would have to check it again,,,,so asking $22,000 or even $20,000 for a car like that with very low miles isn't even close to sticker.

I agree with a previous post about finding the lowest mile car possible. These things take alot of abuse from the younger crowd. I remember when they were new the dragstrips were flooded with these things,,,they came in herds....I remember telling my father,,,,DAMN you sure wouldn't want to buy one of these things used!!!! They were being treated like rental cars

So finding a very low mile car will go a long way. Low mile cars will always command a higher price,,,all low mile cars do. If you think it's alot now,,,,just think what these cars with 10,000 miles or less will bring in another 10 years,,,,something to ponder. Only time will tell.

I'm sure there are better deals out there for higher mileage cars, but any low mile car is going to command more money,,,,and believe it or not,,,they are selling at those prices too. There was one on a dealer lot in my town,,,with only 4,000 miles for $22,000,,,,it lasted 2 weeks!!! It's now gone to a new owner already Even a huge Chevrolet dealer was asking more than book value,,,,,,and it sold quick,,,so don't put too much faith in blue book values,,,they really don't reflect the market accurately,,,,it works much like an insurance company does.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-29-2008 at 04:53 AM.

Scene of the Crash
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It depends on how the individual looks at it.

For starters I don't think the new camaro is going to be $26-32,000 for a Z-28,,,,,,,,maybe a V-6 camaro it might be,,,but now thats not an apples to apples comparison though.

Plus we are talking about an SS camaro here forsale with low miles. They didn't exactly fall off trees when they were new,,,and a low mile one is even harder to find. Shucks they haven't made them for 6 years,,,and I don't believe the new camaro can replace what we had in all honesty.

Now someone said people are asking near sticker for these cars,,,I have to disagree. I know mine stickered for well over $30,000,,,,,,I think 32 or 33 I would have to check it again,,,,so asking $22,000 or even $20,000 for a car like that with very low miles isn't even close to sticker.

I agree with a previous post about finding the lowest mile car possible. These things take alot of abuse from the younger crowd. I remember when they were new the dragstrips were flooded with these things,,,they came in herds....I remember telling my father,,,,DAMN you sure wouldn't want to buy one of these things used!!!! They were being treated like rental cars

So finding a very low mile car will go a long way. Low mile cars will always command a higher price,,,all low mile cars do. If you think it's alot now,,,,just think what these cars with 10,000 miles or less will bring in another 10 years,,,,something to ponder. Only time will tell.

I'm sure there are better deals out there for higher mileage cars, but any low mile car is going to command more money,,,,and believe it or not,,,they are selling at those prices too. There was one on a dealer lot in my town,,,with only 4,000 miles for $22,000,,,,it lasted 2 weeks!!! It's now gone to a new owner already Even a huge Chevrolet dealer was asking more than book value,,,,,,and it sold quick,,,so don't put too much faith in blue book values,,,they really don't reflect the market accurately,,,,it works much like an insurance company does.
    I'd pay $20k for one, no more than that, no matter how low the mileage simply because the car is getting older, and the cars that are coming out have more to look forward to (like a better engine, LS3,LS7)

Quote Originally Posted by Scene of the Crash View Post
    I'd pay $20k for one, no more than that, no matter how low the mileage simply because the car is getting older, and the cars that are coming out have more to look forward to (like a better engine, LS3,LS7)
    Well if the trend continues as it has in the past,,,,older doesn't necessarily mean cheaper. In 20 years you'll see these cars going accross Barrett Jackson most likely.

Scene of the Crash
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well if the trend continues as it has in the past,,,,older doesn't necessarily mean cheaper. In 20 years you'll see these cars going accross Barrett Jackson most likely.
    Not necessarily....look at the LT1s, they practically give those away.

Quote Originally Posted by Scene of the Crash View Post
    Not necessarily....look at the LT1s, they practically give those away.
    It's still early for those cars as well. I still consider them young.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

22 is at least 3 grand too much-thats alot to me.

Ya it probably is alot to some people. But as long as someone is willing to pay these prices (and theres always someone) then I think these asking prices will be pretty common place.

Unfortunately it's the same affect that Barret Jackson has put on us old school car collectors.

Eventually all this stuff will be out of reach for the average car guy in years to come. Get one while you can.

Black
    2000 T/A

it sounds like a good price but damn 20k for a 6 year old car???

i guess I just look at it different...

I picked up my 2002 Z28 with 40k miles, for 7k...
    hell i can buy slp floormats for $65.00 a cover for what $90.00 the little key fobs $100.00, a hood $600.00 and a spoiler?

That's why you see so many WS7s and Shelby GT500 clones running around.
    It's all in the looks.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

My slp floor mats cost $85.00 hahahahaha but seriously- sounds like you got a damn good deal.

Black
    2000 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    My slp floor mats cost $85.00 hahahahaha but seriously- sounds like you got a damn good deal.
    no hood yet

got the SS emblems though!

need a hood so badly, but it' tm to mak pymnt so I'm a little short till next month

red
    1999 Trans Am WS-6

got to love posers that put down the real thing all the time. you could have saved money and bought the real thing in the first place and had a more desirable and higher valued car. now when you go to sell anyone that knows what to look for will automatically think it was wrecked since the hood and spoiler are wrong.ran into the same thing with a truck a while back i changed the hood, grill, headlights, bumpers just as an appearance thing and had trouble making people believe it wasnt because of a wreck

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Back to the original post, that is a gorgeous white SS and a great find. I would love to have it too... but I would not pay a penny over $15K for it. $22K is just crazy.

There are still lots of grandpas selling their cool but uncomfortable retirement cars with low miles. Patience can snag you a great car for a lot less money than that. If you wait for a good deal, the money you save can fund a lot of mods - and THAT is where you need to blow stupid amounts of money.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

^ 15K hahahahaha - I would like to see you find a ss with under 10K miles for 15 grand hahaha.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS1 View Post
    Back to the original post, that is a gorgeous white SS and a great find. I would love to have it too... but I would not pay a penny over $15K for it. $22K is just crazy.

There are still lots of grandpas selling their cool but uncomfortable retirement cars with low miles. Patience can snag you a great car for a lot less money than that. If you wait for a good deal, the money you save can fund a lot of mods - and THAT is where you need to blow stupid amounts of money.
    Never said you could... only suggesting that 22K is a rip off for a 6 year old camaro... and you definately CAN find nice, very low mileage cars for $15K or much less. If you jump at the first one you see, you will pay out the nose.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSS1 View Post
    Never said you could... only suggesting that 22K is a rip off for a 6 year old camaro... and you definately CAN find nice, very low mileage cars for $15K or much less. If you jump at the first one you see, you will pay out the nose.
    I agree that patience is key when buying a LS1. Not saying the car is worth 22K but if its garage kept and only has 9500 miles its pretty much a new car in my eyes. Not exactly sure what these cars sold for new in 2002 but I am pretty sure its around 27K or more.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information