Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Whats up with this

This is a discussion on Whats up with this within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by konigandy6 Change your fluid every 40-50k miles and you should be ok. Automatic owners... change your trans ...

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Change your fluid every 40-50k miles and you should be ok. Automatic owners... change your trans fluid filter every 60k
    Thats quite a bit longer than I care to let it go.

All my manual shift cars, including the old muncie cars, I change about every 20,000 miles.

All the automatic cars I change every 10,000 miles.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by niterunnr View Post
    110,000 miles on my 01 z28 m6 and still shifting strong
    If it breaks that is it you need $3,000 dollars and you have to ship the car to Mexico!

Last edited by ezwip; 07-10-2008 at 06:56 PM.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Thats quite a bit longer than I care to let it go.

All my manual shift cars, including the old muncie cars, I change about every 20,000 miles.

All the automatic cars I change every 10,000 miles.
    Do you just do a drain and fill on the autos? Or do you get an actual transmission flush? Quite expensive to do every 10k if you flush it. A drain and fill is all you can do on the manual trans, but autos it's almost pointless.

Black
    02 Z28 M6

How do I drain my manual?

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by ezwip View Post
    How do I drain my manual?
    There is a drain plug and fill plug if you can get it up in the air.

Do you just do a drain and fill on the autos? Or do you get an actual transmission flush? Quite expensive to do every 10k if you flush it. A drain and fill is all you can do on the manual trans, but autos it's almost pointless.
    I drain, remove pan and replace filter and refill. Thats why I do the auto's so often, because of the fact you only get 4-5 quarts out of it, most stays in the torque converter etc.....so I find it even more assential to change it often,,,since you don't always get everything out of it.
    Not to mention the puny filters in most auto trannys aren't going to hold much debri anyway, they need to be replaced often.
    I have found with maintainance like this I get excellent life out of my auto trannys, and when I tear them down clutch wear is minimal.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 07-11-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

I drain, remove pan and replace filter and refill. Thats why I do the auto's so often, because of the fact you only get 4-5 quarts out of it, most stays in the torque converter etc.....so I find it even more assential to change it often,,,since you don't always get everything out of it.
    Not to mention the puny filters in most auto trannys aren't going to hold much debri anyway, they need to be replaced often.
    I have found with maintainance like this I get excellent life out of my auto trannys, and when I tear them down clutch wear is minimal.
    If you have never done it before, next time you go to change the fluid, get an actual trans flush. It will run you anywhere from $125-$160 but it will flush out all the fluid in the cooler lines, converter and the upper portion of the transmission. I recommend finding a shop that uses the BG trans service machine because it actually sends a cleaner through it after the fluid is removed. LOL it sounds like im trying to sell you maint. but its always a good idea.

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - OEM

2017 Silverado Z71 5.3 - OEM

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

If you have never done it before, next time you go to change the fluid, get an actual trans flush. It will run you anywhere from $125-$160 but it will flush out all the fluid in the cooler lines, converter and the upper portion of the transmission. I recommend finding a shop that uses the BG trans service machine because it actually sends a cleaner through it after the fluid is removed. LOL it sounds like im trying to sell you maint. but its always a good idea.
    Ya I've seen what they do. Probably not a bad idea for those that like to extend their fluid changes,,,,but I never saw the need to purchase one for my shop. Not a big fan of having someone else wrench on my junk either. Started out rebuilding trannys more than 20 years ago, now do various other things as well, but like I said, if you stay on top of routine tranny service as I do every 10,000 miles there really shouldn't be any build up of trash anywhere to require such extreme cleaning with a flush machine.

Shucks I never even find any sediment laying in the bottom of the pans,,,even on the cars I race on a regular basis..

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Ya I've seen what they do. Probably not a bad idea for those that like to extend their fluid changes,,,,but I never saw the need to purchase one for my shop. Not a big fan of having someone else wrench on my junk either. Started out rebuilding trannys more than 20 years ago, now do various other things as well, but like I said, if you stay on top of routine tranny service as I do every 10,000 miles there really shouldn't be any build up of trash anywhere to require such extreme cleaning with a flush machine.

Shucks I never even find any sediment laying in the bottom of the pans,,,even on the cars I race on a regular basis..
    Lucky!!! I bought my car with 38k miles on it last year. I changed the trans fluid this year at 42k miles and it was DARK!!! I plan on doing it every year at the beginning of the season with my oil changes now. Which will roughly be around every 3 - 4k miles.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

I don't have any problems with mine so I'm still happy. If these alligations are true shouldn't the Cobra's be having serious problems then since they have T-56's in them too.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    I don't have any problems with mine so I'm still happy. If these alligations are true shouldn't the Cobra's be having serious problems then since they have T-56's in them too.
    Good point...

Ya tremec is the main manufacture for the big three now. Of course the cobras, vipers, all have beefier internals than we got in these 4th gens.

Off the top of my head I think GM only rated these 4th gen T56's at either 350 or 400 ft lbs. of torque. Thats not very hard to surpass once people start tinkering with the motor. Plus GM purposely installed a hydraulic system that slows clutch action down, to limit warranty claims no dought and soften the blow on the drivetrain,,which makes shifting in a hurry sometimes troublesome...
    Then you get these young kids in them that think they are Ronny Sox and you can see why it doesn't take long to tear one up. 6-speed cars are subject to more abuse plain and simple. Now these cars are approaching 10-15 years old,,,,,,easy to see why the 6-speeds are getting harder to find in good working condition.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

all of what they say are correct to a certain extent, i mean as more younger kids start getting into an ls1 that were bought an kept stock by the original owner, the further and further the drive train will wear, most kids cant drive for shit, mix that with probably driving the piss out of the car on a daily basis and something has to break, i will admit, if you dont know how to drive your going to fuck up your tranny and or clutch, ive done 3 clutches with my friend on his ls1, his car had 30k miles when he bought it being stock, it now has 60k with 3 clutches later, 1 gear and shift fork and slower track times than me with his car having bolt ons,

luke.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

they have bigger problems, 1 being the bottom end of the motor, 2 being the cv axles,

rapter34
    Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    they have bigger problems, 1 being the bottom end of the motor, 2 being the cv axles,
    Bottom end is fine until you reach about 500RWHP and the entire rear end is a POS.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by rapter34 View Post
    Bottom end is fine until you reach about 500RWHP and the entire rear end is a POS.
    Did you mean the Fbody, because he was talking about the Cobra

rapter34
    Did you mean the Fbody, because he was talking about the Cobra
    yeah sorry I ment the F-body just kind of read through the post to fast.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information