Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Whats faster?

This is a discussion on Whats faster? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; In a race, with equal drivers. What would win a 2000 Camaro ss, or a Charger SRT8. I know the ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    11

    Black
    2000 Camaro SS

    Whats faster?

    In a race, with equal drivers. What would win a 2000 Camaro ss, or a Charger SRT8. I know the SRT has more HP, but our cars are lighter. Just Curious. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    If it was an 01 or 02 I'd say Camaro hands down.

    Even at that an 00 should win if you get a good launch.

  3. #3
    Member 4thGenTA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    farmington
    Posts
    181

    black
    2002 firebird trans am

    i think its up to how you launch and shift. srt8s are all automatics.

  4. #4
    Member SAGGIN's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Elk Grove, CA
    Posts
    994

    RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

    I'm going with the Camaro...the SRT8 is a heavy sedan.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    It depends on the SS, auto manual? I have seen atleast a dozen srt-8 chargers pull a 13.5. They are all auto so if the tires are decent then that should be the time you would have to beat. And i know not all 01 and 02 camaros can run a 13.5. The srt-8 cars trap 106-108mph stock too which is hard to a stock ls1 f-body to do consitently.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Santa Ana, CA
    Posts
    11

    Black
    2000 Camaro SS

    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    It depends on the SS, auto manual? I have seen atleast a dozen srt-8 chargers pull a 13.5. They are all auto so if the tires are decent then that should be the time you would have to beat. And i know not all 01 and 02 camaros can run a 13.5. The srt-8 cars trap 106-108mph stock too which is hard to a stock ls1 f-body to do consitently.
    I'm talking M6

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    3,260

    Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

    Quote Originally Posted by fixtheglitch View Post
    I'm talking M6
    Then its on the driver mostly. I was able to run a 13.3 @ 106mph in my bone stock 2000 T/A m6.

  8. #8
    James Bond Spikito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,546

    2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

    I'd say camaro....the charger is powerful, but like everyone else said, its a tank

  9. #9
    Four Seat Vette 10spokess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    pasadena md
    Posts
    2,034
    Blog Entries
    2

    Black
    2002 SS Camaro

    you will if its stock for stock i raced one with just an slp intake and i beat it at the track by .2 he got me in the et tho 105 to 106

  10. #10
    Senior Member MrMasterCraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    1,266

    2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

    My skechers

  11. #11
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    you will if its stock for stock i raced one with just an slp intake and i beat it at the track by .2 he got me in the et tho 105 to 106
    Mile per hour (mph such as you indicated) is not the same as elapsed time (et). Et wins out over mph every time.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    harrisburg pa.
    Age
    61
    Posts
    868

    black
    02 vette vert

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Mile per hour (mph such as you indicated) is not the same as elapsed time (et). Et wins out over mph every time.
    you know, i think this is where you find street racing stories that don't quite add up. if you don't have 1/4 mile laid out, you may win the actual drag race but lose to the other car overall by racing too far. et wins the 1/4, but with higher mph the other car will pass you sooner or later.
    even the other way, running too short, the car that can pull the win in a 1/4 might not have it if you're shutting down too soon.

  13. #13
    Senior Member MrMasterCraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    1,266

    2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

    Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    you know, i think this is where you find street racing stories that don't quite add up. if you don't have 1/4 mile laid out, you may win the actual drag race but lose to the other car overall by racing too far. et wins the 1/4, but with higher mph the other car will pass you sooner or later.
    even the other way, running too short, the car that can pull the win in a 1/4 might not have it if you're shutting down too soon.
    Exactly, you responded sooner than I could 67RS/SS - While you are correct in your statement between ETs and trap speeds, trap speeds don't lie. And if they're off, its usually not by much unless it's something catastrophic that occurred half-track or prior (Deoending on how fast the car is). If you spin like hell the first 60 feet and/or miss a shift, your ET will be off a considerable amount yet your trap speed willl usually be right around what it should, had you not spun so bad and/or not missed that shift.

    2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

  14. #14
    Senior Member Ramairgod84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    peoria, az
    Posts
    1,017

    Black
    2001 WS6

    I think we'll be able to hang on to the newer cars for at least a little while longer. Eventhough we don't have as powerful of an engine as the new muscle cars that are out there now (cept for the current mustang gt), I think we'll see our weight give us a little bit of an edge for a while.

  15. #15
    Senior Member MrMasterCraft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    1,266

    2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

    I think it helps that we have an array of aftermarket out there as well

  16. #16
    Junior Member yanoZ28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Killeen Tx.
    Age
    28
    Posts
    88

    Red
    2001 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    you know, i think this is where you find street racing stories that don't quite add up. if you don't have 1/4 mile laid out, you may win the actual drag race but lose to the other car overall by racing too far. et wins the 1/4, but with higher mph the other car will pass you sooner or later.
    even the other way, running too short, the car that can pull the win in a 1/4 might not have it if you're shutting down too soon.
    +1, However, I ran a srt8 with l/t's and 3 inch all the way back, not cats. I have just a few bolt ons lid, filter, strut tower brace, and from a 60 mph roll, it was dead even, and from about 110- 125mph, ill pulled on him about 3 lengths. I forgot i was in overdrive too.

  17. #17
    Senior Member ss~zoso~ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    )
    Posts
    9,128

    SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

    driver's race

    ive been beaten by a stock srt-8 challenger with mods in sig

    well, i'll just say this, i assume it was stock idk
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

  18. #18
    Senior Member Z28_Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,017

    Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

    Your car is on the heavy side. Some of the Camaros are much lighter. Mine weighed 3522 stock and about the same with some power and weight adding mods and some weight reduction surgery.
    He hae to consider that the SRT-8 might have had some mods too.

  19. #19
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    you know, i think this is where you find street racing stories that don't quite add up. if you don't have 1/4 mile laid out, you may win the actual drag race but lose to the other car overall by racing too far. et wins the 1/4, but with higher mph the other car will pass you sooner or later.
    even the other way, running too short, the car that can pull the win in a 1/4 might not have it if you're shutting down too soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMasterCraft View Post
    Exactly, you responded sooner than I could 67RS/SS - While you are correct in your statement between ETs and trap speeds, trap speeds don't lie. And if they're off, its usually not by much unless it's something catastrophic that occurred half-track or prior (Deoending on how fast the car is). If you spin like hell the first 60 feet and/or miss a shift, your ET will be off a considerable amount yet your trap speed willl usually be right around what it should, had you not spun so bad and/or not missed that shift.
    While you are both correct in that a faster MPH will eventually catch up I was referring to a measured 1/4 mile. In that case ET (and/or RT) determines everything. I've beaten faster cars (MPH wise) with a quicker ET at the track. I've even beat a quicker ET with a better RT off the line.

    For example: Last year I beat a Mustang that had a faster MPH and a better ET by treeing him off the line. I ran a 13.01 @ 106+ and he ran a 12.91 @ 110+. My RT was .029; his was .659.

    This is why I favor running at the track against folks versus street racing. It takes out the "WTF" factor. And, (even if $$$ changes hands) it's legal.
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 01-02-2010 at 04:45 PM. Reason: spelling

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    harrisburg pa.
    Age
    61
    Posts
    868

    black
    02 vette vert

    Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    While you are both correct in that a faster MPH will eventually catch up I was referring to a measured 1/4 mile. In that case ET (and/or RT) determines everything. I've beaten faster cars (MPH wise) with a quicker ET at the track. I've even beat a quicker ET with a better RT off the line.

    For example: Last year I beat a Mustang that had a faster MPH and a better ET by treeing him off the line. I ran a 13.01 @ 106+ and he ran a 12.91 @ 110+. My RT was .029; his was .659.

    This is why I favor running at the track against folks versus street racing. It takes out the "WTF" factor. And, (even if $$$ changes hands) it's legal.
    i agree with you 100%. take it to the track, no excuses there. and like you say, the faster car doesn't always win. the driver has to do his [or her] job to make it win.
    my comments were just showing how stories can seem so farfetched coming from the streeters.
    and the legal part is big too, not to mention safer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. whats faster lt4 or ls1
    By ajonesz28 in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 07-14-2009, 09:45 AM
  2. Question: which is faster?
    By bballking_2007 in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 09:50 AM
  3. Get my car faster
    By trip2016 in forum Domestics and Foreigns
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-23-2007, 10:42 AM
  4. Why Are some T/A's Faster than Others?
    By JRDB84 in forum General Help
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 05:21 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •