SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

Whats the deal with flowmaster

i've been hearing a lot of crap about their mufflers since i bought mine, i have a 40 series

which ones "flow like crap", 40 series or 80 series delta flow

i just find it hard to believe that they do based on their rep. and quality

idk

any helpful comments welcome

Pewter
    02SS6spd VERT!

I had 80 series on my 6 and it sounded awesome!

Silver
    '99 Camaro SS

I have a customer who has a 402 we built. Using their complete system he loses 38hp to the tire when we close his cut-out.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

well thats because its a cutout, i'm just concerned about muffler loss/gain not cutouts or sound

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

i don't get it either. i had one on my 91 and it was kick ass. i always thought flowmaster was the shit.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Flowmaster is da shit, literally. It's just common sense if you think about it. Flowmaster exhaust isn't a straight through design, it is chambered. Those chambers give off the bitchin idle sounds, but restrict exhaust gases from escaping when you hit the pedal to the metal. Some people have claimed losses due to the exhaust system.

I personally love Magnaflow, as it is a poor man's Borla.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

They are better than stock, that is good enough for me. Who cares is you lose 5 rwhp or so from it as compared to other catbacks. It isn't a loss of HP as compared to stock, just compared to other catbacks. It can sound good all the time, but how often are those FEW horsies really going to matter? I was seriously thinking about putting a super 40 in place of the resonator on my loudmouth. I want the sound, and if 5 hp is enough to make you slow, you've got bigger problems

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

My car had a Flowmaster on it BEFORE I bought it. It sounds good, but I have no idea about the more gain/loss. I would have to believe that Flowmaster would not develop an aftermarket system that actually made LESS power than stock. They've been in the business too long to do that...surely. Now other catback systems may be better, but until this one develops problems, I'm happy with it. I do not like the tips, but I will fix that with dual outlets. The muffler is situated on its side so it is readily visible from the back. I'm not big on that either, but I can live with it.

Sound is good though. I actually would prefer it to be just a little quieter, but then the power gains would likely go out the window. If you would want a louder system, then it isn't the best choice. Seems like the Borla (which I like the tips of), Magnaflow, and the Loudmouth have a pretty good following with the "like it loud" crowd.

John

jad628 DO YOU KNOW WHICH FLOWMASTER YOU HAVE? Is it a crossflow muffler? I am looking to put a flowmaster muffler on my 02 hawk, i think im going with the super40 but im looking to get some idead form people who have flows on thier car already

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ~Firehawk~
    jad628 DO YOU KNOW WHICH FLOWMASTER YOU HAVE? Is it a crossflow muffler? I am looking to put a flowmaster muffler on my 02 hawk, i think im going with the super40 but im looking to get some idead form people who have flows on thier car already
    I don't know for sure. Sorry, but I'm ignorant if the muffler even has the model stamped on it. If I get the chance, I'l try to find out.

John

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by jad628
    I don't know for sure. Sorry, but I'm ignorant if the muffler even has the model stamped on it. If I get the chance, I'l try to find out.

John
    Does the exhaust go in the passenger side full size, then have two smaller pipes coming out, one on each side?

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz
    Does the exhaust go in the passenger side full size, then have two smaller pipes coming out, one on each side?
    Yes, except I'm not sure the diameter is all that different. The car is a block away from me at the moment.
    Last edited by jad628; 05-25-2006 at 07:32 AM.

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

My car also had a flowmaster when I got it. -18 hp vs. open cutout. Now I run Corsa and would be willing to bet that the difference wouldn't be more that 2-5 hp. Now that is a big difference. On a stock car, I would agree that the difference would be marginal at best. I loved the sound and have nothing bad to say about it except the horrific drone and interior resonance at cruise.

Mystic Teal
    01 Z28

They are better than stock, that is good enough for me. Who cares is you lose 5 rwhp or so from it as compared to other catbacks. It isn't a loss of HP as compared to stock, just compared to other catbacks. It can sound good all the time, but how often are those FEW horsies really going to matter? I was seriously thinking about putting a super 40 in place of the resonator on my loudmouth. I want the sound, and if 5 hp is enough to make you slow, you've got bigger problems

Actually they lose pretty much the exact same amount of power as stock.

My first two mods were a FIPK and a cut out. With the cutout open I gained 11 rwhp. My next mod was shortys, hi-flow cats and flowmaster. My difference with the cutout open vs closed was still 11 rwhp ... same as stock.

With a flowmaster all you're geting is some sound and few pounds weight loss.

As far a few horse making a difference ... they measure drag racing down to the thousandths ... it's winning or losing, is the differnce.

Black
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Every tenth of a sec. counts. Also your losses will be alot larger if you are running long tubes and a big cam. Everything has an effect on another part.

I could care less if the car beside me sounds bitchin at idle, cause when I leave him i'll have all the respect anyways.

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Quote Originally Posted by Bob'sWS6
    I could care less if the car beside me sounds bitchin at idle, cause when I leave him i'll have all the respect anyways.
    That's your opinion and its not the same as everyone else's. Not everyone is going to or is capable of highly modding their cars or even would if they could. So let those that want to have their sound at the cost of the few hp have it, cause in the big scheme of things its not that big of a deal. I am certain that no matter what catback you run there will be someone faster.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by jad628
    I would have to believe that Flowmaster would not develop an aftermarket system that actually made LESS power than stock. They've been in the business too long to do that...surely. Now other catback systems may be better, but until this one develops problems, I'm happy with it.

Seems like the Borla (which I like the tips of), Magnaflow, and the Loudmouth have a pretty good following with the "like it loud" crowd.

John
    Flow master does flow better then stock....just not as good as some aftermarket catbacks. Magnaflow is actually one of the quieter catbacks...at a running temp idle and low rpm's mine is just a low rumble. Loudmouth is loud and you can get the adjustable borla to be loud or quiet.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

this is great, actually getting some positive feedback about flowmaster, i know its not the highest flowing but its good enough for me

~firehawk~

get the 40 series ,that is what everyone on the forum has pretty much, it is also the highest flowing muffler flowmaster makes

Thread Information