Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    M-B, E350 AMG Sport

What year LS1 is known to be the "slowest"??

Hey all, I'm looking into buying an affordable and reliable DD. I used to own a '98 Mustang GT and have pretty much forgotten all the info I learned about these cars during that time. I like the simplicity, affordability and reliability of most "Pony Cars".

I'm looking into an LS1 because all that power would be fun in a daily driver IMO, and the one's I'm looking at (higher mileage) are going for pretty cheap.

My questions are, I know the 01-02's are the fastest with the LS6 Intake, Truck Cams, etc. But out of namely the 98-99-00's, which year models put out the best numbers and are there any years that have specific problems I should look out for.

Also, is the Manual/Auto performance differance as substantial as it is on the Mustangs? And lastly, do these things still run 100% with well over 100++K Miles?

Thanks.
    Last edited by K--A; 08-17-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Black
    1998 Z28 M6

I can only help a little since I am new to LS1s as well but I can answer some questions. I'm learning as I go from a friend who is an F-body nut. But here is what I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by K--A View Post

Also, is the Manual/Auto performance difference as substantial as it is on the Mustangs? And lastly, do these things still run 100% with well over 100++K Miles?

Thanks.
    As far as I have been able to learn, unlike the Mustangs whose AOD transmissions are considered slush boxes, the A4 Camaros are very popular and quite a bit more and efficient and durable than the Ford version. In fact unlike with the Mustang, there seem to be a whole lot of people who don't want a manual and love their auto(I can't remember the last time a Ford gearhead actually wanted a Ford auto). When asked on here recently who preferred what transmission, it was split fairly close down the middle, but the auto people might have been the slight majority.

As for durability, my 1998 Z28 has 112,000+ miles on the original transmission, clutch, engine, and rearend. And it still runs like a raped ape. It's got the typical little rattles on the interior that go along with a 10 year old car and some small stuff like the vent blower fan in the dash is going out, but the important stuff under the hood and transmission tunnel are still going strong. After 112,000 it doesn't burn a drop of oil and has no leaks.

Hey all, I'm looking into buying an affordable and reliable DD. I used to own a '98 Mustang GT and have pretty much forgotten all the info I learned about these cars during that time. I like the simplicity, affordability and reliability of most "Pony Cars".

I'm looking into an LS1 because all that power would be fun in a daily driver IMO, and the one's I'm looking at (higher mileage) are going for pretty cheap.

My questions are, I know the 01-02's are the fastest with the LS6 Intake, Truck Cams, etc. But out of namely the 98-99-00's, which year models put out the best numbers and are there any years that have specific problems I should look out for.
    I can't help you with most of this stuff but I found the following link very helpful.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27515

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

there so close it shouldnt be a big concern when shopping.........many other things to look at that are far more important.......i would stick with an 01 or 02 car though if your going with a man tranny.....the syncros are better

Just a slow Camaro KING Z28 HAWK's Avatar

LPM
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Yeah get the 01-02 so you already have the LS6 intake you wont be disappointed

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

you cant go wrong with a 99 and up, a4 or m6, high miles or not, my 99 with over 155k miles with a lid and catback did 322hp to the wheels thru an A4. so it dont matter what year, as long as it runs hard, it will run hard for a long long time. just my .02

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    there so close it shouldnt be a big concern when shopping.........many other things to look at that are far more important.......i would stick with an 01 or 02 car though if your going with a man tranny.....the syncros are better
    people often mistake the tranny being different, but in actuallity the hydraulics for the clutch were improved thus people think the transmission was changed but really the clutch actually disengages all the way pro longing and improving the transmission performance and reliablity.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by KING Z28 HAWK View Post
    Yeah get the 01-02 so you already have the LS6 intake you wont be disappointed
    why spend upwards of thousands of dollars, when an ls6 intake goes for 300 all day long, you would be stupid to spend more than 1k just to have the ls6 intake, shit id rather buy an 00, put a fast 92 intake, lt's cam and heads, and still have pocket change left over for some dr's and a nice textralia clutch. just me thou.

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

an ls1 is slow or fast as you drive it.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

whats wrong with 98s? if anything i would say avoid 99-2000..go 01-02

M-B, E350 AMG Sport

Thanks for the feedback guys.

According to that Article there were some light changes during the 98-99 years (different Injectors, Cam I think), but it seems they're too small to make either a factor?

I'm curious as to why someone said stick with 99+, and Shady Milkman, why do you say to stick with 98 over the 99-00's?

Camarojunky, those are some crazy good numbers. I personally would like an M6 for the fun factor, although it may grow tiresome, but it seems there are alot more A4's on the road and for Sale.

Also, and I'm assuming this is a really rare question or concern for most F-Body buyers, but are these cars known to be at least remotely safe/perform decent in Crash Tests?

Thanks again for the feedback and help.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I have heard that 98's had weaker rod bolts, which can cause an issue. Other then that, I believe 01s-02's block is slightly different. They cast it a little different to increase strength and rigidness. I use to have an article with all the differences from 97 on up to 04. There is quite a few differences but they are all very minor. I would pay the little extra for a 01 on up. BUT, that doesn't mean 97 - 00 are not great motors. Either way its a LS1 and will haul ass and be pretty reliable.
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    people often mistake the tranny being different, but in actuallity the hydraulics for the clutch were improved thus people think the transmission was changed but really the clutch actually disengages all the way pro longing and improving the transmission performance and reliablity.
    anyone want to step in and correct this? ive DEFINITLY read on this site more than once the syncros are better on 01-02 cars..mine shifts smooth as silk....my gears grinded in my 99 all the fuckin time....material the syncros are made out of was changed in 01...i want to steer him in the right direction

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

98s
    Some had oil pump issues and yes they did not come with the LS6 intakes, but did have a more aggressive cam and larger injectors then 99s and up.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

i love my 98...i've known about the issues...but when it all comes down to it..i will mod the hell out of my engine and any differences will be minimalized or eliminated

Impounded

NBM
    99 z28

my 99 only has 170,xxx miles and still runs like a scawlded dog. a4 by the way. to be honest, im quite suprised how well its held up, main reason being the high miles. i will admit that i am alot harder on it than i should be(high miles agian) but it takes it and acts as if it loves it. when im behind the wheel, i drive it like its a z06. its held up really well.

hope this helps.

ive heard these motors/trannys are tough as nails and if u take care of them(oil changes etc etc) they wont let you down.

Sebring Silver
    00 Camaro SS/09 LS3 Vette

98's have the shitty pcm too.
    99+ are all the same with minimal differences. They all run in the 12.90 to 13.50 range. Once you start modding they all even up.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by K--A View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

According to that Article there were some light changes during the 98-99 years (different Injectors, Cam I think), but it seems they're too small to make either a factor?

I'm curious as to why someone said stick with 99+, and Shady Milkman, why do you say to stick with 98 over the 99-00's?

Camarojunky, those are some crazy good numbers. I personally would like an M6 for the fun factor, although it may grow tiresome, but it seems there are alot more A4's on the road and for Sale.

Also, and I'm assuming this is a really rare question or concern for most F-Body buyers, but are these cars known to be at least remotely safe/perform decent in Crash Tests?

Thanks again for the feedback and help.
    Yes! These cars are really safe! I know first hand just how strong they are. I had a combined speed of 90 m.p.h. head on collision with mine. I would have walked away with minor injuries if it wasn't for the truck also sideswipping me.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    whats wrong with 98s? if anything i would say avoid 99-2000..go 01-02
    when you mod a 98. you run into the problems with the valve covers and coil packs needing to be updated, costing more money, as well as the pcm is different, and the t56 is the same as the lt1 cars
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    anyone want to step in and correct this? ive DEFINITLY read on this site more than once the syncros are better on 01-02 cars..mine shifts smooth as silk....my gears grinded in my 99 all the fuckin time....material the syncros are made out of was changed in 01...i want to steer him in the right direction
    you are probably right. although most problems i run into when synchro's fail early or grind is due to the clutch not disengaging, and in 01 gm re did the master cylinder to perform better especially under heat.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Yes! These cars are really safe! I know first hand just how strong they are. I had a combined speed of 90 m.p.h. head on collision with mine. I would have walked away with minor injuries if it wasn't for the truck also sideswipping me.
    you guys saw the crash my sister got into in my 99

dirty aka white
    2000 Z

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner View Post
    my 99 only has 170,xxx miles and still runs like a scawlded dog. a4 by the way. to be honest, im quite suprised how well its held up, main reason being the high miles. i will admit that i am alot harder on it than i should be(high miles agian) but it takes it and acts as if it loves it. when im behind the wheel, i drive it like its a z06. its held up really well.

hope this helps.

ive heard these motors/trannys are tough as nails and if u take care of them(oil changes etc etc) they wont let you down.
    yeah my 2000 z28 seems to run better when i am abusein her 132xxx i drive 80 miles round trip a day just for work lol and if i aint watchin it she will be up to 90 or more in a heart beat lol i been throw several trannys though but i used to race every day and night and did some stupid shit like manuel shiftin an A4 but still have the same motor and jsut now needing to replace the rear end man i am goin to miss the 2:73 on the freeway but i hear nice things about the 3:42 behind the A4 so i think its a win win lol and if i like it i just might up grade to a 12 bolt 3:42

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

I say if you are looking to buy get a 2001-2002 allready has the better flowing heads and ls6 intake. + doesn't have egr. JUST MY .02 + it has a few more options not found on the earlier models.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Thread Information