Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What year LS1 is known to be the "slowest"??

This is a discussion on What year LS1 is known to be the "slowest"?? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by 9t8z28 Yes! These cars are really safe! I know first hand just how strong they are. I ...

M-B, E350 AMG Sport

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Yes! These cars are really safe! I know first hand just how strong they are. I had a combined speed of 90 m.p.h. head on collision with mine. I would have walked away with minor injuries if it wasn't for the truck also sideswipping me.
    Daamn, that's assuring. I take it you came out hopefully okay even with the sideswipe? It looks that with the Ratings for the F-Body's, they scored pretty poorly in side tests, but really well in front tests. I personally am not a big fan of T-Tops and am assuming a hard top provides extra structure. I'm sure subframe connectors can only help too?

Camarojunky, I assume and hope your Sister came out okay after her incident?

What sucks is, it seems the 98's have some plus points with the better injectores, more aggressive Cam (why would GM weaken the Cam the next year?), but at the same time, it seems the 99's have some stronger points. I guess a good rule of thumb is, get as new a model as I could.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    when you mod a 98. you run into the problems with the valve covers and coil packs needing to be updated, costing more money, as well as the pcm is different, and the t56 is the same as the lt1 cars

you are probably right. although most problems i run into when synchro's fail early or grind is due to the clutch not disengaging, and in 01 gm re did the master cylinder to perform better especially under heat.

you guys saw the crash my sister got into in my 99
    woahhhh nelly ...why do the valve covers need to updated??? also who cares that the pcm is different..hp tuners tunes it just as well.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLs1 View Post
    98's have the shitty pcm too.
    99+ are all the same with minimal differences. They all run in the 12.90 to 13.50 range. Once you start modding they all even up.
    please tell me how the 98s pcm is shitty

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    woahhhh nelly ...why do the valve covers need to updated??? also who cares that the pcm is different..hp tuners tunes it just as well.
    98 head/valve covers are premier bolt and not center bolt like 99 and up.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

If you ever go to swap heads, you will have to get the center bolt valve covers instead of the perimeter bolt you currently have. Nothing wrong with the perimeter bolt ones, they are just outdated so to speak.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

The LS1 was originally designed with center bolt valve covers in mind, but in 98 they hadn't been perfected and totally given the ok for public use yet, just weren't totally tested and developed yet.

That is why we have the perimeter covers on 98's - Like everybody said probably no big difference, just need new covers when you put on different heads.

Bone it like you own it FORD RECOVERY EXPERT's Avatar

Black / Stryker Blue
    2K WS.6/ 2K9 G8GT

Quote Originally Posted by K--A View Post
    .....I personally am not a big fan of T-Tops and am assuming a hard top provides extra structure....

Not a difference worth mentioning... all 93+ cars were built to be ttop...I cut the ttops into my car, in the "hardtop" cars, there is a small beam, the same as the one in the ttop, spot welded in its place, and a fiberglass skin glued on. the ttop actually seems stronger when in place due to more metal in the latch and pin mech...

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

please tell me how the 98s pcm is shitty
    They are not shitty. You can tune 98 pcm's for engine mods. You just need to find a good tuner. They have smaller peramiters which makes it a little more difficult to get the tune right. Heads and Cam tunes are not so bad, it's when you get to forced induction that can be a problem. Depending on the amount of boost, you may want to upgrade to a 99+ pcm, or add a 2-3 bar map sensor.

My car and pcm is a 98 but the engine is a 99. I had trouble getting my car tuned since the MAF was maxing out (high voltage) which has smaller peramiters. This was solved by a MAP/MAF tune which is basically a speed density tune. The car utilizes the MAF sensor under all conditions but full throttle. Under full throttle, the car relies off of the MAP sensor(speed density).

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by K--A View Post
    Daamn, that's assuring. I take it you came out hopefully okay even with the sideswipe? It looks that with the Ratings for the F-Body's, they scored pretty poorly in side tests, but really well in front tests. I personally am not a big fan of T-Tops and am assuming a hard top provides extra structure. I'm sure subframe connectors can only help too?

Camarojunky, I assume and hope your Sister came out okay after her incident?

What sucks is, it seems the 98's have some plus points with the better injectores, more aggressive Cam (why would GM weaken the Cam the next year?), but at the same time, it seems the 99's have some stronger points. I guess a good rule of thumb is, get as new a model as I could.
    No, I got hurt pretty bad. It was the side swipe that hurt. the car took the front end collision very well. The T-top section held up very well also. They to absorbe alot of the impact.

M-B, E350 AMG Sport

Wow, well you were able to walk away from the accident with your life intact, so that's definitely a good thing

Thanks for all the info and feedback again guys, this is all very helpful.

pewter
    1999 camaro Z28

i have raced about every some what stock camaros z28 and ss and ta ws6 with the ls1in my town my 99z has not been beat yet

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by mingo99z View Post
    i have raced about every some what stock camaros z28 and ss and ta ws6 with the ls1in my town my 99z has not been beat yet
    get your car to a track and see what you got.

white
    2000 Z28

too bad he has to deal with altitude in wy. the closest track that i know of is in co, where mr. louis runs. well its the closest to cheyenne at least. i dont know of any in wy and i doubt there are any there. but at least he doesnt have to deal with 100+ degrees like sin city.

white
    2000 Z28

oh yeah mingo ill give you a good run in the 00 z when i take my grandpa for a cruise up there. i'm dying to see how it handles on a 830+ mile road trip lol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information