Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

What should be my next LS1 Camaro?

This is a discussion on What should be my next LS1 Camaro? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Castle Just thought I would throw in my $.02 here... If you are looking for an "All ...

  1. #21
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Just thought I would throw in my $.02 here...

    If you are looking for an "All in 1, leave it as it is package", then keep your eyes set on an M6 SS.

    If you eventually plan to "fix up" or put money into your LS1, (& dont mind keeping your A4),
    then your Z28 may not be such a bad foundation for many reasons already listed in this thread.

    I went with the 2nd suggestion myself as you can see by clicking my sig for pics.

    I am proud to roll Z28 badges!
    your engine looks pretty

  2. #22
    Senior Member Tyler_LS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Canby, Oregon
    Age
    29
    Posts
    2,121

    Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Get a Z28.

    -Cheaper insurance
    -They look fine imo, if done right.

    However, if you want the wow factor of an SS by people who don't know anything about a 4th gen f-body....well then pay more for nothing, and get the SS.

    I have an SS but my insurance considers it a Z28





    the miles are not bad i would look into justifying the cost of buying an SS vs. Doing some appearance and performance up grades to your Z28

    Now if you want a M6 then thats another story
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

    12.6 at 112

    http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

  3. #23
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    I have an SS but my insurance considers it a Z28





    the miles are not bad i would look into justifying the cost of buying an SS vs. Doing some appearance and performance up grades to your Z28

    No if you want a M6 then that another story
    same here state farm says it only lists z28

  4. #24
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    72

    Silver
    98 Z28

    HA! no thanks Blackhawk. I'm a Camaro owner all the way. The main reason im thinking about an SS is because I want an M6 tranny and higher rear gears. I currently have 2.73's. Plus for the price of an SS it already looks cooler and has better rims imo. So instead of putting money into my engine don't you think it would be a better idea to have higher gears and a stick first? I've heard all this talk about adding a stall to an A4 but thats really just for drag racing and then you have to worry about your transmission blowing up and gas mileage around town.

  5. #25
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by furyev View Post
    HA! no thanks Blackhawk. I'm a Camaro owner all the way. The main reason im thinking about an SS is because I want an M6 tranny and higher rear gears. I currently have 2.73's. Plus for the price of an SS it already looks cooler and has better rims imo. So instead of putting money into my engine don't you think it would be a better idea to have higher gears and a stick first? I've heard all this talk about adding a stall to an A4 but thats really just for drag racing and then you have to worry about your transmission blowing up and gas mileage around town.
    a stall will kill your gas milage for sure

  6. #26
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    i could seriously argue about this all day to justify my z28, but i'll try not to.

    a stall is not just for the drag strip, people who don't even drag race put a stall in their car. yes, a stall can hurt gas mileage by 2mpg or so, but so can a higher gear like 3.23's or 3.73s etc. not as much though if you get a t-56

    you can still get a t-56 in a z28, and you can always swap gears later for a few hundred dollars, if that's what you really want. i don't know very many that keep the stocker rims either, but maybe i hang out on other forums too much. so i'm not sure why you'd buy an SS just for the rims. they can be picked up really cheap too.

  7. #27
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    72

    Silver
    98 Z28

    That is true. But for everything that I want to change I think it would cost me more in the long run. If I sold my car in a few months I wont have too many miles on it and ill still be able to get a good amount of money for it, then if i sold it with 100,000+ miles on it. By purchasing an SS for a few thousand more I think i'll have a better overall car with the parts I want, M6, Gears, Appearance, Suspension...plus I want to try to get a car with even lower miles and better options like leather, t tops, rims, monsoon stereo system, and color. I'm getting sick of my Sebring Silver. What I want is a change. Something more radical. There is no way that any import/ricer car would interest me. The only thing they offer is speed and a crappy exhaust note. Sorry to get off on a tangent but the LS1 is definitely an impressive engine. For the money,power, and appearance I don't see a better deal out there.

  8. #28
    Getting pulled over! bostonz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Boston MA
    Age
    29
    Posts
    53

    Black
    98 Z/28

    I have a Z also and I was hit in the front, so insted of the stock hood I just got the SS hood. For looks it deff makes the car more aggressive looking but If I was to do it again I would have got the Sunoco cowl type hood. As for rims, the SS deff has better ones esp. the 35anniversary rims, but I got z06's anyways. So right there I spent 600bucks where as a SS you pay thousands but it is a better car for resale.
    Now about the tranny, its really up to you on that one.I live in the city with some of the worst traffic in the country and I am happy I have a auto. You dont have to worry about miss shifting and clutches, but thats my own 0.2c.
    O yea by the way my Z has 155k on it running strong so your good for a while...Whatever you do atleast your sticking with a fbody and not some jap crap lol. Id get a SS too if I could but $$$talks.
    "Any car can be a SS, but only a camaro can be a Z/28"!!!

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    72

    Silver
    98 Z28

    that is very true bostonz28. I like the SS hood and the Sunoco hood. But the SS package overall seems like a pretty sweet deal that came stock. Did the Stock SS's come with a more performance oriented suspension or was that the SLP SS?

  10. #30
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    72

    Silver
    98 Z28

    155K miles and still running strong! thats awesome man

  11. #31
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by furyev View Post
    that is very true bostonz28. I like the SS hood and the Sunoco hood. But the SS package overall seems like a pretty sweet deal that came stock. Did the Stock SS's come with a more performance oriented suspension or was that the SLP SS?
    the stock ss does have a better suspension

  12. #32
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    i could seriously argue about this all day to justify my z28, but i'll try not to.

    a stall is not just for the drag strip, people who don't even drag race put a stall in their car. yes, a stall can hurt gas mileage by 2mpg or so, but so can a higher gear like 3.23's or 3.73s etc. not as much though if you get a t-56

    you can still get a t-56 in a z28, and you can always swap gears later for a few hundred dollars, if that's what you really want. i don't know very many that keep the stocker rims either, but maybe i hang out on other forums too much. so i'm not sure why you'd buy an SS just for the rims. they can be picked up really cheap too.
    allbaugh your z28 looks great, no need to justify all is good

  13. #33
    LSX whore allbaugh_04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,895

    Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedAddict38 View Post
    allbaugh your z28 looks great, no need to justify all is good
    well thx, i like it, i hope to get new wheels in the mail tomorrow

  14. #34
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Rockford, IL
    Age
    26
    Posts
    8,303

    Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

    there is definitely hope for finding a low mileaged ss for 12k.
    i bought my 2000 ss (was in just about mint condition) with 90k miles for $8k, plus a warranty and what not so it came out to $10k.. yes i have more mileage, but with $4k more than that, who knows what ull find

  15. #35
    Ebaaaaaaaaa Speedy_Gonzales's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    11,019

    Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

    Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    well thx, i like it, i hope to get new wheels in the mail tomorrow
    which ones did you order ?

  16. #36
    Aw shucks. bluefields88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    3,619

    Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

    I paid $12,000 for my SS over two years ago and it had 46 thousand miles. It's an auto tho. part of the reason why I got it for so cheap.

  17. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Springfield
    Age
    30
    Posts
    330

    Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

    Insurance should be the same on an SS vs a Z28. Out of curiosity i got a quote from my insurance carrier on an 04 cobra, and it was about 4 dollars more a month. So insurance shouldnt be an issue.

  18. #38
    Member Mr. Hyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Age
    57
    Posts
    913

    Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

    Okay...Let's be honest. It boils down to the hood doesn't it? I mean that's the real point here isn't it? Sure we all know that GM put a little more into the suspension, and the rear spoiler looks good too, but it's that mean ass hood that sets the SS apart!
    How many of us leave the suspension alone and don't mod it? How many of us don't mod the engine and make up for the small differance in HP between the two? Right! Very few! So, your average Joe, or Josephine if you prefer, can only tell the cars apart by that magical hood. I have a bunch of people come up and ask me all the time "Nice car, what is it?" So if you want to seek out a clean SS, and want the head turning looks of the hood, go for it.

  19. #39
    Aw shucks. bluefields88's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    3,619

    Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

    Quote Originally Posted by 01LSS6Camaro View Post
    Okay...Let's be honest. It boils down to the hood doesn't it? I mean that's the real point here isn't it? Sure we all know that GM put a little more into the suspension, and the rear spoiler looks good too, but it's that mean ass hood that sets the SS apart!
    How many of us leave the suspension alone and don't mod it? How many of us don't mod the engine and make up for the small differance in HP between the two? Right! Very few! So, your average Joe, or Josephine if you prefer, can only tell the cars apart by that magical hood. I have a bunch of people come up and ask me all the time "Nice car, what is it?" So if you want to seek out a clean SS, and want the head turning looks of the hood, go for it.
    ya, the hood makes the car's way better looking. funny how something so simple can change so much.

  20. #40
    Member 00Z28DC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Cincinnati/Columbus
    Posts
    226

    White
    2000 Z28

    yea i agree with that, i'm planning on getting an SS hood for my z28, but I also plan on getting another F-body car within the next 5 years, but i'm still keeping my Z28 for a daily beast, and a M6 01 or 02 SS for weekends, either that or i might just throw all my money on a 5th gen, if they make'm the way i want it. I read in motor trend the other day that they may come out with a stock 500hp version to match a shelby gt. I've never had much love for mustangs, but the shelby is different story it's just too good, but if chevy does a mean SS in shelby's power range you can bet i'll be right on that. As far as the original queston goes my advice is to go with an 01 or 02 SS, it will just save you a lot of hassle instead of doing what i'm doing with ordering a hood and such, and if you ever do decide to sell your SS it will have a higher resale especially an 02.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 1967 Chevrolet Camaro - Classic Camaro With A Big-Inch Punch
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Camaro / SS
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2012, 05:10 PM
  2. 1999 trans am, 1995 z28 camaro, 1979 z28 camaro for sell!!!!
    By poneykiller2k4 in forum Vehicles For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 06:12 PM
  3. FS 97-02 Camaro Taillights/Ebony TTop shades/Camaro 35th model car
    By nhra-trans-am in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 12:34 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-10-2007, 04:03 PM
  5. Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-12-2007, 12:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •