Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

What should i do now?

I have a 99' Z28, I have ss ram air hood, slp cold air, slp lid, ported maf and throttlebody, bypass mod, free mods, XS lt headers, ory w/ cutout, flowmaster exhaust, hurst short shift, msd plug wires, ngktr55s...... modding is addicting! i've just exhausted my budget.. i have 200 dollars left and i make only 100 per week with school. I need to keep going... haha, what should be next? I have trouble gaining traction, but i also want more horses (story of all our lives). bigger rims for fatter tires than 245? keep working for a long time and blow it on h/c? torque arm + lower control arms? ls6 intake manifold? A TUNE? Thanks anyone

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

I did not see anything about gears.....have you replaced the stock gears?

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

all you're running is 245s? my car came with 275s stock. i'm sure that the wider tires help with traction. but unless your tires really need changing i wouldnt bother. a good set of 275s will run you around $800. call me crazy, but since you're in school (i assume highschool or college) why dont you save your money. you never know when life is gonna throw you a curve ball and you could be facing some serious expenses. from your post you've already done a lot with the car, take a break for a while and put some in the bank.

pewter
    1999 camaro Z28

i also have the 99 z with out all the mods cant wait tell i get my ss hood this spring and with the hood comes a suppercharger . hows dose yours run now?

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Niter- I don't know that much about gears.. i have a lot of highway driving to do to school and work.. wouldn't i kill my gas mileage on the highway?

Ripper- the SS came with 17 inch rims that are big enough for 275s but the z28 came with 16 inch rims.. all i can fit on it is 245s.. but yeah.. i have a good amount that im not touching.. its in a seperate account,.. but your right.. i'll admit i just dont want to face the facts lol.. i feel i should still get a tune though right? cause my exhaust is gonna fil with carbon..?

mingo- thats awesome, wat supercharger are u running? but yeah u wont feel the ss hood til u hit the highway or over 50mph, then the ram air gives u a little more pull, its also fiberglass.. plus it looks sick, ill figure out how to use my sis's camera soon lol

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Mingo- i looked at your pic.. noticed u had the ground effects.. did you loose your front air dam pieces?

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Z28LS1 - It just depends on how much of a change that you make. Is your car an automatic or M6? If you have a M6, you can change the gears and not really lose much due to the high 6th gear ratio. I had a 98 Z28 LS1 automatic and I put a set of 3.73 gears in it and it was my daily driver. Changing the gears on that car was the single best bang for the buck modification that I did to that car. It was like waking up a sleeping giant.

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

I've got an M6, what gears do u recommend? 3.73? and the only transmission thing i've done is a short shifter.. how difficult is the installation

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

I would go with the 3.73, especially if it is your daily driver. A lot of people will tell you to go with the 4.10 but the rearend will be trash if you ever hook it up. I have 3.73 's in my M6 SS and I love it. Also, with the 4.10, sometimes that requires an extra shift to complete the 1/4 mi. Good Luck!

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by niterydr View Post
    I would go with the 3.73, especially if it is your daily driver. A lot of people will tell you to go with the 4.10 but the rearend will be trash if you ever hook it up. I have 3.73 's in my M6 SS and I love it. Also, with the 4.10, sometimes that requires an extra shift to complete the 1/4 mi. Good Luck!
    4.10's are the best thing for M6 F-bod when it comes to qtr mile, but if you are not taking it to the track that often and not worried about getting the best ET you can get then get 3.73 due to mileage, personally I would say screw mileage and get 4.10's, as far as your rear getting trashed, he's right it will get trashed but it doesnt matter if you have 4.10's or not if you continue to mod your car it's gonna pick up more torque so get 4.10's and save up for a 12 bolt, trust me your gonna need it. M6 car's snap the stock 10 bolt easily after some performance mods and if your getting more then your gonna need the 12 bolt. Also as far as next mods if I was you I would get the LS6 intake and your choice of SFC next. Sounds like your on the right track, keep it up and have fun but be safe.

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeler99WS6 View Post
    4.10's are the best thing for M6 F-bod when it comes to qtr mile, but if you are not taking it to the track that often and not worried about getting the best ET you can get then get 3.73 due to mileage, personally I would say screw mileage and get 4.10's, as far as your rear getting trashed, he's right it will get trashed but it doesnt matter if you have 4.10's or not if you continue to mod your car it's gonna pick up more torque so get 4.10's and save up for a 12 bolt, trust me your gonna need it. M6 car's snap the stock 10 bolt easily after some performance mods and if your getting more then your gonna need the 12 bolt. Also as far as next mods if I was you I would get the LS6 intake and your choice of SFC next. Sounds like your on the right track, keep it up and have fun but be safe.
    Wheeler99.....Is your LS1 a daily driver?

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

Yes
    1999 T/A WS6 Black -------SOLD
    05 mustang Roush sport;
    DOB manifold, m122 SC, 47lb injectors, gt500 TB, roush TVS CAI, Detroit rocker SC grind camshafts, Mac LTs, off road x, roush off road mufflers, roush short throw shifter, kenne bell BAP, Brenspeed 93 octane tune. 479rwhp 436ftlbs SAE.

Green
    95 Trans Am

Wow, so many daily drivers,its gotta be hell on gas money. I have a 95 modded with a 383, theres no way i could drive it every day. Now that im in Ohio it sits for 5 months a year.

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

mileage could be better but I wouldnt trade my car for nothing

Green
    95 Trans Am

No im not saying that, id just prefer not to drive it in the snow or the rain,so i got an avalanche .

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

wheeler 99.......I wouldn't trade my car for anything either but I have a pretty good commute each day back and forth to work and with the price of gas here in NC that is why I went with the 3.73's in my M6 SS. I just purchased a 95 Z28 Vert last week to be used as my daily driver. I got this car at a deal, $1800.00. The car needed head gaskets but other than that it was in excellent cond. with a brand new top and new tires. I have already done the repairs and am driving the car today. I may go with 4.10's in the rear of my SS now since I will not be using this as my daily driver anymore. What kind of gas mileage are you getting on your car?

black, 05 Roush
    black, 99 T/A WS.6

I prolly still get around 18-20 on the highway, subject to change this spring with the install of all new stuff sitting in the garage.

I too have other vehicles to drive, 99 WS.6, 05 Roush stg. 1, 99 F-150, 04 jeep liberty, but I still drive the T/A and Roush, just not as often in the winter, t/a driven more than roush though, usually can drive the T/A 3-4 times a week, in the summer more like 6-7. Roush has been in the garage and just started it for the first time in 2 months recently and damn battery was dead, lol. I drive my t/a every chance I get, I just enjoy it that much. I will drive it to work or where ever, some locals say I am crazy since I have a truck to drive but I love my cars. The Jeep is my wifes so I dont drive it that much. Hey good buy on the 95 VERT.

BLT4SPD

black (SS), red (57)
    2002 cam SS. 57 Pro St

Yeah, it is nice to have extra vehicles to drive. My fiance has a 98 Mustang GT with a few mods....I just could not leave it stock,you know how that is. Anyway, nice chatting with you and I will let you know how the mods go with the SS in the future.

Green
    95 Trans Am

Thats pretty good 18-20, im lucky to get 10-12, but thats why i dont drive it all the time. niterydr you got a great deal with your 99 was it a friends car?
    Did it have any body dammage? Hell i sold my 93 sonoma for more than that and it was falling apart.

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

sorry i havent been on ina while, but yeah im gonna look into the 3.73s for now..and definitly get sfcs, but i'll look into larger rims for larger tires before i get the ls6 intake.. i cant take these 245 nankings anymore..... thanks everyone
    and nice cars wheeler.. i've got a lot of respect for mustangs too... nowa days we've gotta look past ford vs. chevy and onto muscle vs tuner.. accept next week when i take on my friends 450 hp cobra with 100 shot..

Thread Information