Thread: What to expect

What to expect

I have opportunity to buy my brothers 2002 camaro SS. He passed away about a year and a half ago. It's a t-top with a 6 speed transmission. I don't know camaros, so what things should I look at when I go to look it over? Are there any common issues I should look out for, any quirks I should be aware of? Its been mostly sitting up for the past 18 months. should I be concerned about that? Also, what kind of gas mileage can I expect?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Sorry to hear about your brother, i can say he had good taste. For anything that's been sitting that long listen for knocks in the engine, a little ticking is normal. These engines are known for a sewing machine sound so if you hear something like that it's probably not that bad. Also the fact that its been sitting check behind the back seat on the floor, stained carpet would indicate leaking t-tops. Mileage shouldn't be that bad, helps that it's a 6 speed. 28-30 mpg highway isn't unheard of if you're cruising, expect somewhere around 15 city, all depends how you drive it really.

Thanks for the heads up. I can definitely say my brother had great taste in cars! I have heard that t-tops in general tend to leak, is that a common problem with Camaros? Its been carport kept the whole time, so I'm not sure there would be any carpet evidence of leaks. Is there any other way to check on that? If all the rubber around the tops look ok can I assume that it is ok?

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Well it does happen, not extremely common though. If it does leak it would be from the outside corners. really its not a huge deal. If the seals look good and aren't all dryrotted which I doubt they are you should be fine. when well cared for these are really nice cars for the money and lots of fun to drive.
    Hope all goes well with it

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My 98 T-top Z28 has the original seals and 184,xxx miles on it and the tops don't leak. You'd think living in PHX the rubber would shrink but it hasn't.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sorry to hear about your brother. Here is a link to a nice guide a member created for people looking to buy an F-body: http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/guide-buying-fbody-118628/ . The same would apply in your case as these are common issues.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ADLM View Post
    Thanks for the heads up. I can definitely say my brother had great taste in cars! I have heard that t-tops in general tend to leak, is that a common problem with Camaros? Its been carport kept the whole time, so I'm not sure there would be any carpet evidence of leaks. Is there any other way to check on that? If all the rubber around the tops look ok can I assume that it is ok?
    Take a hose and give it a test

Check out the link Jeff posted. It should cover most of the basics for you. Good luck with the sale.

blue
    1999 TransAm

you're supposed to apply silicone grease to the rubberstripping/seals.. it's kinda a pain to put it on, but it seals up good.. i used to have a slight drip from the t-top seal/window interface in heavy rain, ...but no more!

Thread Information