Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DirtyJ & the Black Plague mt3andrews's Avatar

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Talking What is Easier?!

I have an automatic SS because the price was right. Now I want it to be stick but I am getting qoutes of 4-7k to get a trans and everything else they say needs replaced. Should I try to get a salvaged for cheap $ or just go ahead and pay the other guys to do it? I dont want to spend that much but I want it done soon! Any Ideas? By they way this is my husbands car and he is deployed right now and this is what he wanted and i wanted to suprise him. If anyone could tell me what exactly would need replaced that would be great so when i call those people back i can tell them exactly what i want and dont want. any ideas would be wonderful! Thanks guys!

Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

That is a very thoughtful gift to do for him. i wish my g/f would do something like that lol. With switching to a 6spd there will be a ton of things that will need to be done and that does add up the money quick. now are these other guys getting a "rebuilt" trans or pulling from a doner car? In my opinion you should try and find a local slavage place or check ebay for a totaled 6 spd car. you or him can part out other car and recoop some money. the computer will have to be re-flashed new center console ...so on and so on. I would say a good price for the work would be around 6k but make sure they know what they are doing.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

thank you ....we both are into fast cars so it works out well. i thought about 6k would be ok to spend. i am going to check for a salvaged 6spd. aamco wanted like 6k and i believe that was new?! another place wanted 5k for a rebuilt.... ugh so many decisions

Artic White
    2001 Z-28

funny story my girlfreind's brother is over in Iraq too and his last name is Andrews as well. There is no way it is the same person that would be too funny. That would be an awesome present though. I think you should skip the 6 speed and put a supercharger on it. It would prob be around the same price if not less and a hell of alot cooler. It would be a big suprise the first time he got on it.

black
    98 z28 m6

Quote Originally Posted by smg267
    funny story my girlfreind's brother is over in Iraq too and his last name is Andrews as well. There is no way it is the same person that would be too funny. That would be an awesome present though. I think you should skip the 6 speed and put a supercharger on it. It would prob be around the same price if not less and a hell of alot cooler. It would be a big suprise the first time he got on it.
    Haha, thats an idea too, but then you need everything else to go along with it. Idk what i would think if i went to drive my car and it was magically supercharged

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by smg267
    that'd be fuckin sweet.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

ehh, id just throw a high stall converter in it, a 12 bolt, some sticky tires, head/cam package and call it a day

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

i know this might sound stupid but what is a 12 bolt?...........i am getting new tires next week for him and i was already thinking about the high stall converter.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mt3andrews
    i know this might sound stupid but what is a 12 bolt?...........i am getting new tires next week for him and i was already thinking about the high stall converter.
    its a rear end. replaces the weak 10 bolt. usually costs between $2400-$2800

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

so when i look for one to buy it will say 12 bolt rear end? i am sorry to ask so many questions but i want him to be suprised and so i want to get what everyone else would want

black
    98 z28 m6

Yeah, pretty much. Look for a moser 12 bolt rear end, there are others but most people tend to go with them and they have been around for ages. Thats what i plan on getting as soon as i drop out my stock 10, shouldent be long now......

Red
    2002 T/A Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Capster78
    ehh, id just throw a high stall converter in it,

..and it would be cheaper than a M6 swap.

..and faster.
    2002 Pontiac Trans Am Firehawk
    Hooker LT Headers | Magnaflow HF Cats | Corsa Exhaust | SLP STB | Ported TB
    ASP UD Pulley | EFI Live Tuned | 17x9/17x11 Gunmetal ZR1s | 275/315 GY GSD3's
    344rwhp/356 rwtq - Video | Sheet

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Talking

is there anyone in particular that makes the high stall converters.......thats the best?! I am busting my ass working overtime so i want only the best! lol!

Red
    2002 T/A Firehawk

is there anyone in particular that makes the high stall converters.......thats the best?! I am busting my ass working overtime so i want only the best! lol!
    Quote from www.tbyrne.com:

The Precision Industries Vigilante Torque Converter increases performance by multiplying engine torque and will make a night and day difference in the way your car performs! Each 9 1/2" converter is made specifically for your application. The result will be lower 60 ft. times and up to a 5 tenth improvement in your 1/4 times (depends on the car and available traction). This is one of the best mods that you can do to an automatic f-body!

The average gain on the 9 1/2-inch torque converter series is 2 tenths on 60 foot and up top 3/4 of a second on overall elapsed times in the 1/4 mile. The average horsepower gain is up to 40-50 horsepower to the rear wheels due to the torque multiplication and increased stall speed.

Red
    2002 T/A Firehawk

Now I want it to be stick but I am getting qoutes of 4-7k to get a trans and everything else they say needs replaced.
    Vigilante 9.5" Torque Converter

$699.99

If I were you, I would check out the Automatic area in the Drivetrain Sub-Forum:

http://ls1.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Last edited by John02Hawk; 05-10-2006 at 05:40 PM.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I'd suffer with an auto if I could get a Super charger! I think I'd crap my pants if I suddenly had a shit load of boost that I wasn't expecting! Do the paddle shifter kit with the stall and it would be all fun.

Silver
    1998 WS6 M6

I personally like yank's converters. They are a little more expensive but make up for it in quality.

sunset orange
    02 SS M6

charged/turboed autos are alright with me. Its a different beast. I love my dads T-Type. I love the kick in my turbo eclipse.
    05 HEMI Ram, 96 Eclipse GST, 02 SS.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

If he really wants a stick....sell the car and get one....don't waste 6k on a conversion. And like everyone else said....if you have 6k to blow then put a procharger on it, stall it and hope the rear doesn't blow out.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
    If he really wants a stick....sell the car and get one....don't waste 6k on a conversion. And like everyone else said....if you have 6k to blow then put a procharger on it, stall it and hope the rear doesn't blow out.
    I am actually thinking about selling my 06 eclipse gt to get a camaro ss and if i do then i will get one with a stick and give it to him and i will keep the automatic.

Thread Information