Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

What do you guys think of this Z?

This is a discussion on What do you guys think of this Z? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED yea-you know you got ass banged from the dealer. Funny thing is-you must like it considering ...

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by BREAKxNECKxSPEED View Post
    yea-you know you got ass banged from the dealer. Funny thing is-you must like it considering your earlier post stating you bought 5 cars from dealers. LOL
    Dealers love people like you. Mike knows whats up.
    hey telephone tough guy , i bet you think your tough talking shit behind a computer. looks like you do it all the time. its not my fault that you got your ass kicked everyday at school casue your a joke, STILL, soo typing tough makes you feel better.. its whatever

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by kebie05 View Post
    i say go for the pewter one in michigan with the gfx.
    well theres one thing that we do know is that breakneck would not dare come to MI. he cant bring his keyboard LOL
    Last edited by greatwhiteZ28; 08-02-2007 at 03:12 PM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

yea-you know you got ass banged from the dealer. Funny thing is-you must like it considering your earlier post stating you bought 5 cars from dealers. LOL
    Dealers love people like you. Mike knows whats up.
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    hey telephone tough guy , i bet you think your tough talking shit behind a computer. looks like you do it all the time. its not my fault that you got your ass kicked everyday at school casue your a joke, STILL, soo typing tough makes you feel better.. its whatever
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhiteZ28 View Post
    well theres one thing that we do know is that breakneck would not dare come to MI. he cant bring his keyboard LOL
    This is out of character for both of you guys. You have both been good members in my experience here. How about exchanging apologies and lets end this stuff?

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

greatwhite z28 I am sorry if I was being an ass to you man. I shouldnt have said that to you. Sometimes I say rude things without thinking. -and no I didnt get my ass kicked every day in school- it was every other day! LOL j/k PS-you still dont have a clue.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 08-03-2007 at 11:33 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

The last car is actually listed here on ls1.com.
    The first car I would offer 9 grand for. Looks decent.
    The second car doesnt list the milage so?????
    Heard back from them already, the mileage on the 2nd ('01) car is 71k. Looks really clean, and it's the 2nd owner from 12k miles. Seems like it was well cared for. IMO it's a little high for the mileage though.

First car ('00) needs a door repainted, they swapped out the whole door when the window motor went. Also needs a tune up and brakes. The swapping of the door to fix the window motor worries me, I wonder about the quality of the rest of the maintenance that car has seen.

Seems like a motivated seller though, I'd offer 8k for it I think.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by dparson View Post
    Whatever car you decide on make sure to do a suprise visit to the car lot. If the car has slap piston they will start it up and let it warm up before you get there so you wont here the slapping. If you suprise them most likely the car is cold and you will here the slap piston when you first start it up. When you get to the dealership feel the hood or motor to see if it has been running prior to you getting there. I made this mistake and the next day when i started it from cold i heard the noise, car lot would not take vehicle back. My 2 cents worth.

That's a great tips, thanks. What exactly does the piston slap sound like? Will it be obvious in a cold engine? Is this a common problem with all LS1's, or are some years more likely than others to have it?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

71k high mileage? That's about when the engine is finally broken in! I bought mine with 98k. That's getting high, but I'm not worried since it's an LS1. I hope to have the LS1 with the highest mileage someday.

So how far are you willing to travel for one?
    Last edited by allbaugh_04; 08-02-2007 at 06:15 PM.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by StuntmanMike View Post
    That's a great tips, thanks. What exactly does the piston slap sound like? Will it be obvious in a cold engine? Is this a common problem with all LS1's, or are some years more likely than others to have it?
    Here is a sound clip piston slap. http://www.pistonslap.com/photos.htm It goes away within a minute.

If the car is cold you will definately be able to hear it. I would definately try to buy a car that doesnt have it but I talked to a mechanic today where I just got my Trans. rebuilt and he said it very common for 98+ z28s to have piston slap and its not a big deal. This guy had 8 z28s in his shop and he specializes in them and owns 1 himself. I asked him because my car does it until it warms up. Its more annoyance then anything. Yeah offer 8gs if it doesnt have any slap and seems ok but why would anyone change a door out for a window motor? sounds like BS to me. May want to stay away from buying a car that needs work right off the bat. I dunno. Good Luck!
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 08-02-2007 at 05:15 PM.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

My car is a 98 Z28 loaded except it has clothe seats. The interior is flawless and super clean. The exterior looks good. 2 spots have slight spiderwebbing-front bumper/rear bumper you really have to look to see it and its very small area. Car has these new things done to it:
    1) Nitto 555 275/40/17 tires 500 miles on them
    2) American Racing TTM wheels 9x17s 500 miles on them
    3) 3m window tint-3 months old
    4) new ac compressor-delphi, accumulator,serviced. 2 weeks ago
    5) Rebuilt tranny with transgo shift kit -2 days old
    6) ngk tr 55 plugs- 2 days old
    7) SLP Loudmouth cat back exhaust- installed 250 miles ago
    8) MTI clear lid and k@n filter 6 months old
    9) dash pad- 6 month old
    10) derale xtra deep transmission pan-6 months old
    11) MSD 8.5mm wires -6 months old
    12) new fuel filter-6 months old
    -I have all reciepts with dates.
    -car has 69,128 miles
    asking $9300.00 -just so you get an idea of whats out there for the money. I am losing money on the car but thats to be expected.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 08-02-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    71k high mileage? That's about when the engine is finally broken in! I bought mine with 98k. That's getting high, but I'm not worried since it's an LS1. I hope to have the LS1 with the highest mileage someday.
    Well, this is going to be a DD for me, except for maybe January and February. I put alot of miles on my cars, it's a 60 mile round trip to work. I figure about 18-19k a year. So I'd hate to buy a car and get only a few years out of it.

The guy with 71k '01 SS sent me a bunch more pics, the car looks super clean. It's got a few good mods, pretty new tires, and a nice stereo. I still can't help thinking 13k is too much though.

How many miles on yours now? And if the engines last along time (say I could get 4 years, or 150k out of it) how are the 6 speeds?

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Here is a sound clip piston slap. http://www.pistonslap.com/photos.htm It goes away within a minute.

If the car is cold you will definately be able to hear it. I would definately try to buy a car that doesnt have it but I talked to a mechanic today where I just got my Trans. rebuilt and he said it very common for 98+ z28s to have piston slap and its not a big deal. This guy had 8 z28s in his shop and he specializes in them and owns 1 himself. I asked him because my car does it until it warms up. Its more annoyance then anything. Yeah offer 8gs if it doesnt have any slap and seems ok but why would anyone change a door out for a window motor? sounds like BS to me. May want to stay away from buying a car that needs work right off the bat. I dunno. Good Luck!
    Thanks for the link! Yeah, I'm thinking I'm not really interested in that one, I want somehting that's in good shape that I don't have to do any work to. Who knows what else is wrong with it.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Well, this is going to be a DD for me, except for maybe January and February. I put alot of miles on my cars, it's a 60 mile round trip to work. I figure about 18-19k a year. So I'd hate to buy a car and get only a few years out of it.

The guy with 71k '01 SS sent me a bunch more pics, the car looks super clean. It's got a few good mods, pretty new tires, and a nice stereo. I still can't help thinking 13k is too much though.

How many miles on yours now? And if the engines last along time (say I could get 4 years, or 150k out of it) how are the 6 speeds?
    LS1's have been known to go over 150k easy with a little luck you could hit 200k with no major problems. My car has almost 102k now. So far so good. Ask anyone, these are some very good engines. I edited my last post and wanted to ask how far you are willing to travel to buy one?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'm not big on the GFX, both the WI and MI cars have them. Decent mileage/prices though.
    I know a guy here in Vegas the bought his Z with GFX, he didn't like them either. He just took them off. The car looks fine, he did keep the 3 pieces on the spoiler. So, that doesn't have to stop you from getting one that has them.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I have bought 3 of the 5 Camaro's from a dealer. The Gold 98 I bought from Fairway Chevy had 11,000 miles in 1999 - when it got totaled in 2007, she had over 133,000 miles & was still going strong. It was a great car. You can find a great car out there somewhere. And you'll just know it when you see it!!

blue
    2000 z28

It just blows my mind with these low prices that people are getting for these cars. If you think about it these cars are one of the fastest cars on the road, they look great, with top dollar options such as traction control,performance suspension,multi cd,t-tops,and alot of fun to drive. Other cars that have these features and the power these have go for $20,000 plus. I dont understand why these cars are practically given away. I think they are very under rated as far as resale. if you think about it for what a z28 is made up of, $13,000 is very cheap for a high performance muscle car,unfortunately there are so many z28's out there for sale for a whole lot lower price for what reason who knows so it makes the $13,000 dollar price tag seem high,but for what your getting in a z28 it is actually a damn good price.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

These cars have always had lowsy resale. Actually, the resale now is as good as it's ever been, not counting the '67-'73 cars that are going for insane money at auction.

They weren't very popular when new, and have only a cult following now. Ford sold more V6 'Stangs than GM did total F-Bodies in most years. Ask the average person what they think of a T/A or Camaro, and chances are you'll get some sort of mullet joke.

The newest one is now almost 6 years old, and while there are some nice ones, alot of them have led hard lives. Plus, even when new the build quality and interiors left alot to be desired. Not that I'd ever drive one, but back when I had a '98 Formula, I thought my buddy's '98 Cobra had a way nicer interior, and was more comfortable. He had an H-pipe and no cats, so his sounded mean, but mine was faster.

Anyway, you really have to love these cars to own one, and IMO, that is why there's a limited market. I see freakin' 10 'Stang GT's for every nice Z I see for sale. If I was looking for one of those, I'd have bought one the first weekend of my search.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    LS1's have been known to go over 150k easy with a little luck you could hit 200k with no major problems. My car has almost 102k now. So far so good. Ask anyone, these are some very good engines. I edited my last post and wanted to ask how far you are willing to travel to buy one?
    Nice to know they last that long.

As far as distance, I'd like to stay in the New England area, or NY/NJ/PA area. Although I'm thinking I might have to change that. I just hate to buy a car unseen, which is kind of what I'd be doing if I had to fly out somewhere.

Something Diabolical... chuckie669's Avatar
    2000 C5 Torch Red

Speaking of Low resale. In my opinion, that hurts these cars more than anything else. I see ppl on ebay ALL THE TIME parting out perfectly good cars because the components that makes them sells for so much more than the car as a whole.

It's depressing to see these beautiful cars in pieces for a quick buck....

white
    2002 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    This is out of character for both of you guys. You have both been good members in my experience here. How about exchanging apologies and lets end this stuff?
    didnt mean to get out of hand and apologies to this site

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

Holy crap! I just heard back from him today, he's still running the stock clutch! I had no idea that they could last that long. I'll probably kill it just on the test drive.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information