Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

What do you guys think abou this?

This is a discussion on What do you guys think abou this? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; haha welcome to the family beachcruiser jr, hope you enjoy...

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

haha welcome to the family beachcruiser jr, hope you enjoy

silver
    1999 Z28

yea i cant spell worth anything i dont no why i do try and think about it before i type it just gets messed up

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

2000 Z - Light Pewter Metallic - A4 - 130k - Bolt Ons - My Pride and Joy
    2002 C5 - Electron Blue - M6 - 32k - My Dream Car

Pewter
    99 z28

I can relate to this guy's situation because I used to have a modded honda prelude back when I was 18 and yeh the thing ran pretty fast for what it was. THen i switched over to a LS1 99 z28. I have only gotten on my camaro a few times, 1 because i do not know much about these cars but am learning. and if something breaks i dont know how 2 fix it. My honda i'd beat the shit out of on the daily never had any real problems wit it either. plus it was real easy to work on.
    Your son needs to know a few things. In buying a camaro you will be paying more money for upgrades since they cost more then aftermarket honda parts. and 2 everything on these cars is harder to get to and do. Like putting on headers u have to onmount the engine and shift it over just to put on long tubes. then bang a small dent in 1 of the pipes to make it fit. most the bushings are harder to replace because they are harder to get to. it took us almost 2hrs to do a torque arm bushing on my 99 z28 and it was a 2man job.

aside from that these LS1 cars are amazing, plenty of torque, handle good, and are just sharp looking! They are easy to drive, however they shouldn't be taken out in the snow at all! I been stuck 3 times already in my car with just a couple inches on the road so yeahhh.... just be careful.

I will make a quick edit though, i find camaros very easy to drive and gain control of on the road. even in the rain. they only slide out when u want them too, its not like your fighting for traction at all, he just needs to get used to a RWD car. see for me it was way easier because back when I had my honda, my dad would take me out in his 69' RS/SS 600+hp big block camaro. and that thing ripped hahaa!! but he showed me how to drive it and i occasionally took it out on my own. So me learning how to drive that car made an almost stock ls1 camaro very easy to drive, in fact the moment i got in it to test drive it, I ripped on it coming out of the lot. I knew what it was and could tell the power but in all honesty it just didnt seem like all that fast to me. Atleast to the point where it would be life theatening to own it. So in saying that. Yes they are save cars. and Yes you should have some RWD experience before owning one. and NO DO NOT DRIVE IT IN THE SNOW!!! lol
    Last edited by DVrec21; 02-05-2010 at 04:50 PM.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    My advice would be to have him buy it himself, then sell the honda and use the money off it to use towards the ls1
    In my opinion the more money you have into something, the more you learn to respect it
    this, i bought my car myself and its my precious, wont see me doing any doughnuts or powersliding

SOM
    2002 SS

My parents and I bought my 93 vette when I was 19. I drove a little careless when I was younger but then again I believe I have enough talent to be a f-1 driver. I dont think anyone I know can touch my driving skills =).

Having said that, I matured way faster driving the vette (matured as a driver). I learned that there is a time and place for everything. I didnt bother racing as much and driving fast because I knew the power was always there. It was backwards with all my friends and civics. all of them had racked up tons of tickets, drive wreckless all the time and used to always race everyone they could find. imo slow cars just have more immature drivers because theyre too stupid to realize theyre trying to make a family car go fast.

I say you buy him the z. If you think hes being wreckless with it tell him to take it to the 1/4 mile track. I think you will make a better driver out of him with the z instead of watching him spend all his efforts putting money in a rustbucket family car.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

it depends on maturity level.

i was 17 when i had my iroc-z and even with that little bit of car i crashed it.. not paying attention cause i passed a cop speeding.

that put me in check... saved for a year and bought the ls1...

everyones different... depends on the maturity level.. luckily it only cost my Iroc and not my life!... but thats any car... anways... you know him better than i do.. use ur judgement

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

make him buy at least most of it himself, even if he has to pay you back. (sorry kid) I bought mine with my own money when i was 18 (20 now) every once in awhile ill drive fast but i think you respect your vehicle more if you pay for it yourself. my only speed warning came from coasting down a big hill in neutral when gas was like $4 a gallon last year.

Black
    2000 Z28 M6

i am 18 and i searched the shit out of the internet for months trying to find the right one, looked at a few in person... i had about $3k or $4k saved up and barrowed the rest from my parents and worked my ass off to pay every cent back..

my own father thought it was way too much car just from asking people he knew what their opinion was. and i proved him wrong :P .

i wont act like i dont drive fast once in a while but i definitely think twice before doing something stupid. i know how long it took me to save up for my car and it absolutely has been a lesson of how to be smarter with money and take care of stuff better at the same time...

and i have not gotten a ticket yet. (knock on wood )

i'm in college and already saving toward a z06 for when i'm a senior or graduated..

if my parents had bought me the car i wouldnt have been the same person..

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Just an update...The OP's son now has the car and is a new member of this forum. No need for anymore input on the decision haha

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

where are the pictures man

silver
    1999 Z28

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information