Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What do you guys think abou this?

This is a discussion on What do you guys think abou this? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Ok, well I can understand the whole immaturity for driving a car with such power. I'm 18 as well, and ...

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Ok, well I can understand the whole immaturity for driving a car with such power.

I'm 18 as well, and have a stock '00 TA. I got the car in April of '09 from my parents when my mom decided I earned it or something, I'm not really sure.

Back to immaturity for driving such a powerful car at a young age, I can relate but I also disagree with lack of trust. I got my license in March of '08 and had a Grand Am GT until this past april. My point is it doesn't matter what car the kid drives, equal damage can be done. Now sure the temptation is FAR greater and sometimes overcomes me with my TA than with the Grand Am, but it's about moderation. Sure I don't have 20yrs. of driving experience, but that doesn't mean I don't know how to drive. Once I got a basic knowledge of what a car can do, what it's capable of, and what CAN happen...I didn't let it happen.

I'm accident/ticket free (knock on wood) since I got my license on the first day I could, and it's all about control. Sure sometimes I do stupid stunts in my TA, but nothing so bizarre to the point I'm unsure if I could (as much as possible) control the outcome. I'm sick of the stereotype that adults give kids (in general) about our driving methods. Yes I know you're 100% correct in some aspects, but you're also wrong. I see adults get in stupid wrecks they could have easily avoided but in essence "can't" get drilled for it because like I said, they're adults. On the other hand, if a kid gets in wreck he automatically gets blamed for his age/experience.

So in all, I don't think trust shouldn't be given where it hasn't been broken.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by x Dylan View Post
    So in all, I don't think trust shouldn't be given where it hasn't been broken.
    As with respect, trust must be earned.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Trust Definitley must be earned. As a 19 year old i can relate to all the other teenage drivers on here, but in regards to us teenagers...We are going to all be "adults" someday, and eventually we are going to be thinking the same way they are about us. And there are Reasons for that. I have to say we should all stop defending ourselves against our stereotype as we do NOT have the experience and knowledge in 3-4 years to say otherwise. We all indulge in our cars at times, teenagers and adults, but as teenagers the majority, if not all of us, indulge more often with our less experience. Of course, this is IMO and my .02

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by 98Z28CamaroJG View Post
    Trust Definitley must be earned. As a 19 year old i can relate to all the other teenage drivers on here, but in regards to us teenagers...We are going to all be "adults" someday, and eventually we are going to be thinking the same way they are about us. And there are Reasons for that. I have to say we should all stop defending ourselves against our stereotype as we do NOT have the experience and knowledge in 3-4 years to say otherwise. We all indulge in our cars at times, teenagers and adults, but as teenagers the majority, if not all of us, indulge more often with our less experience. Of course, this is IMO and my .02
    Very well said.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I agree with you except that I don't think we should be criticized for our mistakes (if we make them) when adults do in fact make a fair number of them in cars as well. About trust being earned, I was slightly referring to the fact he said his son had the accord for some time now, so I don't see any trust issues.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by x Dylan View Post
    I agree with you except that I don't think we should be criticized for our mistakes (if we make them) when adults do in fact make a fair number of them in cars as well. About trust being earned, I was slightly referring to the fact he said his son had the accord for some time now, so I don't see any trust issues.
    The criticism comes with the stereotype. It takes some getting used to it for sure, but statistics and general knowledge show that the stereotype is very well-based, so criticism towards teenagers in general is acceptable. Criticism towards individual teenagers however is not acceptable because you never know who is an exception to the stereotype, unless of course you know the person personally and very well.

To the OP!!

I think the answer to your question can only be answered by yourself and yourself only. You should ask yourself if you're son runs in line with the sterotypical teenage driver (only something you will be able to answer, not someone from this forum), and decide whether or not to give your son an LS1 based on what level of risk you believe there is when thinking about the teenage sterotype in comparison to your son.

If he does get the LS1, it is HUGE difference from the Honda in many ways. Most important is going from FWD to RWD. 300hp in a FWD car is VERY different from 300RWHP RWD car. It will be like going back to "0" and he will have to relearn/adjust all his driving methods. It is a NECESSITY to learn to drive the car before having is as a DD. I went to STREET SURVIVAL three times, and the stuff you learn there in a day you won't learn months of driving IMO. I remember paying around 70 dollars for each day long event, so if there is one near you MAKE him go. Also, i autocross as often as i can, and the sport is Very helpful in learning how to drive an LS1, and is also Extremely fun. Me and my dad go to learn and to compete against ourselves in our camaro(so far i've beat him every time haha). Street Survival driving school and Autocrossing were/are ESSENTIAL to me learning how to control and, IMO more importantly, Regain control in my LS1. In the 4 years i have driven my camaro, the only damage that i have EVER done to it was backing out of the garage. It was Father's Day and i was going to get the camaro detailed for him (we kind of co-own it) and i cut left too early backing out...camaros have a long nose ...So he got the camaro back with a dented right-front bumper, but at least it looked nice! haha. I hope all this has been helpful, and goodluck in your decision and whatever comes afterwards!

IMO! And my .04 i think? haha
    Last edited by 98Z28CamaroJG; 02-01-2010 at 10:34 AM.

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

So we went ahead and got the car for him. He's no stranger to RWD but most of his experience has been in his Honda. We all feel he's responsible enough to respect the car and he is paying for it all. It wasn't a gift, he earned it and is paying for it. That being said, he does have the speed gene that he inherited from me, he auto crosses his honda with me and has riden in my car 100 times or more at the local autox scene, so he knows how easy it is to get it out of sorts.

I am going to install a GPS tracker in it, so I can monitor his driving habits (or at least make him think I can). At the very least it may make him think twice before doing anything stupid to know that I'll be aware of it. I'm sure he'll join this board and start posting pictures and such as soon as he get's all the paperwork done on it.

Thanks!

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by beach cruiser View Post
    So we went ahead and got the car for him. He's no stranger to RWD but most of his experience has been in his Honda. We all feel he's responsible enough to respect the car and he is paying for it all. It wasn't a gift, he earned it and is paying for it. That being said, he does have the speed gene that he inherited from me, he auto crosses his honda with me and has riden in my car 100 times or more at the local autox scene, so he knows how easy it is to get it out of sorts.

I am going to install a GPS tracker in it, so I can monitor his driving habits (or at least make him think I can). At the very least it may make him think twice before doing anything stupid to know that I'll be aware of it. I'm sure he'll join this board and start posting pictures and such as soon as he get's all the paperwork done on it.

Thanks!
    Sounds like he is WELL on his way to being a great LS1 driver And i like the GPS trick, hopefully he won't see this post sometime soon and realize its a trick though haha. Get him in the drivers seat and out autocrossing and learning asap, maybe i'll see you guys out there if you participate in any of the SCCA Solo 2 events in the PA area

Blue

You can always come down here and AutoX with us! We have one of the best concrete sites east of the Mississippi. I think my car is now fully Strano ized. Not much more I can do to it and still stay in ESP.

black
    02 vette vert

with this, and subsequent posts, you show a wisdom beyond your years. congratulations on a big head start in life.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I think of the movie 'Backdraft' where I think DeNiro's character talks about fire being a "living being". It feeds and breathes. You have to respect it for if you abuse it, you will get burned. As with high horsepower cars, you have to have some respect if not a certain amount of fear of their power. You get crazy with it, it will take you on a ride you will NEITHER enjoy nor forsee.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    with this, and subsequent posts, you show a wisdom beyond your years. congratulations on a big head start in life.
    haha thank you, i do what i can to be an exception of the stereotype and statistics. I don't want to be another life thrown needlessly thrown away by ignorance and inexperience

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

haha thank you, i do what i can to be an exception of the stereotype and statistics. I don't want to be another life thrown needlessly thrown away by ignorance and inexperience
    Keep on your path and you will continue to earn respect and live a long time. May your beard grow very thick and gray.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

hahaha yeah this peach fuzz just isn't cutting it

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

You can always come down here and AutoX with us! We have one of the best concrete sites east of the Mississippi. I think my car is now fully Strano ized. Not much more I can do to it and still stay in ESP.
    I only run in F-Stock at the moment, i wish i had the money to Strano-ize my camaro haha. Do you race with the SCCA? if so, what region?

Blue

I ran f stock in 2008, keep getting beat up by a new shelby. Moved over to the dark side in ESP, now I'm getting beat up by a 5 series BMW! I run with Old Dominion Region of SCCA, and also with Tidewater sports car club, also an SCCA club. We are down in Southeast Va, and run at one of the Navy bases where they park the Giant Hoovercraft. Acres and Acres of concrete with no obstructions. Autocross.us is our local forum, I"m also Beach Cruiser over there.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Yeah my last race at the Wachovia Center in NJ there was a Mustang Shelby GT running times i thought impossible for any mustang haha. Come summer and spring i'll talk to my pops and hopefully we will come down for an awesome event at this navy base of yours. it sounds incredible!

silver
    1999 Z28

I am going to install a GPS tracker in it, so I can monitor his driving habits (or at least make him think I can).
    dad I'm sure u taught me to read ha ha
    Last edited by Beach Cruiser JR; 02-02-2010 at 07:17 PM.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Beach Cruiser JR View Post
    dad I'm sure u taught me to read ha ha
    hahaha, backfire eh?

Blue

Read yes, spell, no!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information