Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What do you guys think abou this?

This is a discussion on What do you guys think abou this? within the Camaro / SS forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by F-my-body thanks for using my crash thread as a refrence buuuddyy...and if he can handle a 300hp ...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by F-my-body View Post
    thanks for using my crash thread as a refrence buuuddyy...and if he can handle a 300hp civic he should be fine and smart enough to drive it
    Wasn't meant to be demeaning. Although a tad funny, it was very appropriate being you are probably the same age, if not close to the OPs son's age. How much you'd like to argue the fact that your age may not have had anything to do with your incident, a lot of the older people that have been around fast cars a lot longer than you and have lived through being young know better.

It isn't so much about being responsible and mature as it is of having experience with how the car handles in different environments and how to correctly maneuver your way out of those situations without getting yourself hurt or others.

It's nothing against you personally. Be happy that you are OK, and that your car came out OK. Not everyone can say that. Also be fortunate that you can live to tell your story to others and that maybe it will help someone else.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Depends how responsible he is. Being in the Navy makes me think he might be, but I know plenty of irresponsible guys in the military, especially at that age.

I personally would never let my kid have one of these until he was 21, IF i could stop him.

I bought mine when I was 21, and even then, it might be too soon and I consider myself a pretty responsible person.

It's your call.

Since he is paying for it, that might help him take care of it more.

Black
    35th SS M6 - 9010mi

If it were my son, he'd have to buy it himself. There's NO WAY I'd support it, buy it, insure it, put gas in it, nada.

He's too young and doesn't have enough experience. The very fact that you're asking should tell you the answer. Go with your gut instinct even if he becomes a pain in the ass to live with.

HTH,
    G

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Car looks great, with the exception of one thing, from what I can tell. Where the bumper lips around the rear passenger side quarter and meets. Looks like it doesn't "snug" all the way up? But mine is the same

Guy says it's never been on the track but it's been on the dyno? And it made 324hp to the wheels "before the mods"? oooook, doesn't matter so long as it looks good (and does) and drives (which you say does). $5500 seems to be a taaaad bit more than average from what I've seen. Mine is a 2000 w/ 108k and I picked it up for $4500 back in October here in Spotsy. But mine is a hardtop with no leather, whereas that car has leather and t-tops. Sooo......

I won't even comment on the age/maturity/responsibility thing. This thread was about the car, right??

02 Z28

im coming clean. im 18 yrs old almost 19 in march and i buy rear tires every 4-5 months. if he had mods in his honda it only meant that he wanted the car to be faster.. atleast that was my reason. people in here is right about when you buy shit with your own money you respect it more. so keep that in mind. im paying for mine, almost done too. last payment is september b**ch!! haha cant wait.. good luck man.

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

[QUOTE=tpilews;2216791]Price is too high. I paid $6200 for a '98 z28 with 78,000 miles about three months ago. I wouldn't pay a dime over $4000 for that car, but that's just me.

Agreed i paid $8000 for mine and it had 16,000 miles on it

black
    02 vette vert

one thing everyone has to keep in mind when discussing whether a certain car may be a good buy or not is what part of the country you are buying it in. it's almost like housing prices.

Black
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    correct.....and you know your sons maturity level more than anyone on here does. I will say that my son won't be driving my f-body alone when he's 18.....much less one of his own. I don't care how mature I think he is.... I know how I was and 99.99% of the 18 year olds out there are. If he does buy one I'll hook up the laptop and lay a serious de-tune on it. It's my job to keep him safe and alive until he's out on his own....once he's out on his own it's out of my hands at that point.

you might think you know them all and what there thinking...but you dont.as being young and in highschool i get to know people from 13-19 and theres a giant melting pot of different people.alot of 18 year olds would but not all.alot of people around 18 are pretty mature even tho you might no think it.they might be immature in some way buts they respect certain things.just my 0.02

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

you might think you know them all and what there thinking...but you dont.as being young and in highschool i get to know people from 13-19 and theres a giant melting pot of different people.alot of 18 year olds would but not all.alot of people around 18 are pretty mature even tho you might no think it.they might be immature in some way buts they respect certain things.just my 0.02
    this coming from the teenage f-body guy who wrecked his car soon after getting it.

sorry man, i had to, lol

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

The posting has been removed from craigslist so i couldn't see it. But about your son being 18 and jumping into a ls1 weeeeeeell your going the same route my parents went with me... First they bought me a 1989 Formula, yea sure its a v8 but come on its a 305 tbi with a auto, ill admit i did some things in that car that if it would've been a ls1, well the turnout wouldn't be good. Anyways i drove that car for about 2 years till i was 18 and then they got me my first ls1, a 98 auto trans am and it had 191k on the clock and i couldn't be happier. She was a ugly mofo all primered out with torq thrust's on her and a interior in bad shape but hey for 3g's how much could i get right? well when i turned 20 i bought myself my 2002 ws.6 m6 with 57k on the clock. So you see i kinda slowly upgraded my way up. I did ask my parent like a 100 million times to get me a 4th gen Trans Am as my first car but no way in hell was that gonna happen i mean they knew i couldn't handle it at 16. Anyways i mean it kinda equals out to the way my cars went..

89 Formula= 300 hp Accord
    98 Beat up Trans Am=Car your son is getting
    02 WS.6=Better car later or the car your son might get with some mods

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

My .02.. Boys will be boys and they will drive what ever they get fast and reckless @ times. Does'nt matter what car a person gets into, they should always keep in mind terrible things can happen @ any speed. In the 20+ years I've been driving I've noticed the "experianced drivers" take their eyes off the road more than some inexperianced drivers. I guess experiance puts eyes all around their head. Kids gotta learn sometime better to learn with Dad around to keep his eye on things rather than him discovering that RWD power in traffic. IMHO

I told our resident crash test dummy F-my-body (J/K) to take that thing to a vacant parking lot and practise with it. I'll say the same to the OP practise! If you do get it take him out and teach him the limits of the car with you in the passenger seat to watch and give pointers if nessasary. But as I said earlier, boys will be boys. Never can tell what kids will do when you are'nt there to oversee..
    Last edited by Smittro; 01-30-2010 at 01:05 AM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Honestly, a kid that young not matter how mature is still a kid. I was very responsible in my teens, never drank or smoked and stayed out of trouble. I had a small in-line six w/5spd Ranger and when the guys would get together everything went out the window! I begged my dad to drop in a 302 but he never gave in and now I think that's the best decision he made.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

I suggest letting him get it. If the accord is really 300hp he knows speed already. I had a 66 mustang in high school and treated it like my child then my parents wanted me to buy something safer so the mustang sat in the garage and i got an 01 firebird...... At 18 I said I wanted an ls1 car, my dad agreed but I HAD to buy it and now that I'm 19 love the car. Now lets face it you could be 16-100 years old if you buy one of these cars you buy it to have fun every once in a while, especially if you start modding it. Now with that said you can lose control quite easily fooling around the key is to know how to control it. Idc if your 55 or 18 if you jump in an fbody for the first time and start spinning out I'm betting neither person will do any better because the car is totally different from other cars. I'll admit I do some interesting things at times but I go to places where theres no people or animals to jump out in the road. Let him get the car however you might wanna think about an auto a 6 speed is VERY tempting also find a car with traction control.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that is exactly the problem with teenagers........you guys don't think you're teenagers. Don't worry about it....we've all been there.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28 Hardtop

We've all been there. We all get into situations we hadn't planned on the road, that just life. However, in a high-powered RWD an inexperienced driver may only get to make that mistake once. No 18 year old should have to pay that price for being young. Just remember, there are no reset buttons in life.

black
    02 vette vert

one little thing that i noticed when you get into this type of discussion that i don't like, is you get a lot of 'my parents bought me this' or 'my parents bought me that' or 'i wanted my parents to buy me....whatever'. if you can't buy it yourself then you failed test #1 on whether it's ok for you to own one. whatever it is.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Z28_Driver View Post
    We've all been there. We all get into situations we hadn't planned on the road, that just life. However, in a high-powered RWD an inexperienced driver may only get to make that mistake once. No 18 year old should have to pay that price for being young. Just remember, there are no reset buttons in life.
    Couldn't agree more

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    one little thing that i noticed when you get into this type of discussion that i don't like, is you get a lot of 'my parents bought me this' or 'my parents bought me that' or 'i wanted my parents to buy me....whatever'. if you can't buy it yourself then you failed test #1 on whether it's ok for you to own one.
    I gotta agree with this..

I look @ it like this if you can't afford tires for the car you want then that is prolly not the car for you.. I would'nt know about parents buying anything for me. I moved out when I turned 18 and was on my own with the costs of owning my cars. I was always told if you want something good/nice work for it. That's just how I was raised. I don't hold it against parents whom buy thier kids stuff though that's their biz not mine. But as someone said earlier (not word for word) If you work hard for something you'll appreciate it more. I also agree with that as well. Busting ones azz to achieve a goal is a good thing in my book, builds character when you're young IMHO..

Blue
    2000 camaro ss

i was 18 when i got my 2000 ss and of course i race but if he is responsible with other things and is a good driver. then go ahead. but also look at his friends and if he acts like a kid when he's around them. and no harm in letting him buy his own. i bought my own and i don't think i'll ever get rid of it. you have to respect the car or you'll do something stupid in it.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    My advice would be to have him buy it himself, then sell the honda and use the money off it to use towards the ls1
    In my opinion the more money you have into something, the more you learn to respect it
    this is very true. Both my best friend(01 cobra) and I were very fortunate to each get a bad ass car for our first rides(both @ 18). The trick is the money. We both completely paid for our cars and as a result are scared shitless of hurting them. If he pays for everything on the car(gas,insurance,repairs,etc) w/o your help it is very likely he will have much more respect for it knowing very well that he won't be able to afford repairing it. And if he does wreck it well..don't repair it for him and have him deal with it, it will be a lesson well learned.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information