Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

What do you guys think abou this?

Ok, so my son just turned 18. He has a Honda Accord that he built up pretty stout. Engine swap, coilovers, suspension ect... I think it is something like 300 hp on spray. He really wants to get into an F-body now. He's found a pretty decent 99 Z28 with some mild mods and high miles. Two questions for you guys, do you think a mild F-body is to much for an 18 year old? And what do you guys think abou the price and mod list? I drove the car, and it runs pretty well, and it's very clean, just High miles. Here's the link to the ad: http://norfolk.craigslist.org/cto/1561183126.html

What do you guys think?

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

i dont know about too much? But im 19 years old and i admit i dirve like a hellian i have calmed down a lil bit on it butmy camaro has got me on driving probation for a year but i still love the car, and as far as i think about the car im not super smart on thesecars but it looks like its been well taken care of as far as exterior, i dont know about preventitive matinence cause there isn't a way to tell from pictures.
    But did you take a look at the oil when you looked at it?
    But it really does look amazing for 170k on it.
    I would just get it on a lift and look at everything trans fluid, diff fluid, look for any leaks he could be lying.

hope it was any help and i think you will really man the kid up when he swaps from a honda to a ls1 camaro haha

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

My advice would be to have him buy it himself, then sell the honda and use the money off it to use towards the ls1
    In my opinion the more money you have into something, the more you learn to respect it

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

FYI-Regarding High Mileage LS1's

I have 203xxx miles on my '99 ls1 z28. She still runs great! Daily driven year round. Still stock motor and stock tranny also. If you take care of these
    ls1's they will take care of you. Just some FYI. Good luck witch whatever you decide.

Black
    1998 Z28 and 67 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by zeetwentyeight View Post
    i dont know about too much? But im 19 years old and i admit i dirve like a hellian i have calmed down a lil bit on it butmy camaro has got me on driving probation for a year but i still love the car, and as far as i think about the car im not super smart on thesecars but it looks like its been well taken care of as far as exterior, i dont know about preventitive matinence cause there isn't a way to tell from pictures.
    But did you take a look at the oil when you looked at it?
    But it really does look amazing for 170k on it.
    I would just get it on a lift and look at everything trans fluid, diff fluid, look for any leaks he could be lying.

hope it was any help and i think you will really man the kid up when he swaps from a honda to a ls1 camaro haha
    I am also 19 years old, and also have a 1998 Z28 camaro. I will also admit that i drive a recklessly every now and then. if i hadn't gone to 3 Street Survival driving schools and autocross often, i know 100% i would have wrecked or gotten in alot of trouble. I have three speeding tickets, but thankfully no points on my liscense. I also learned to drive on the car when i was 14 and was taught to drive in the car for 2 years by my dad. Handing an 18 year old an LS1 just out of the blue is a risky decision IMO. If you do decide to get the camaro, have him go to driving schools and autocrossing to learn to drive the car and the limitations the car has. i would also recommend having the car checked over by a mechanic for good measure before purchasing. best of luck!

Black
    '98 Z28

Price is too high. I paid $6200 for a '98 z28 with 78,000 miles about three months ago. I wouldn't pay a dime over $4000 for that car, but that's just me.

As far as an 18-year-old driving it, every person is different. It's a lot of car and you can get into trouble pretty quick if you're not being responsible. I can't imagine buying my future 18 year old son a car like that. Like another poster said, make him put some money into it; the more he does, the more he'll respect the car. Good luck.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

It's a nice car and alot of the problems like the seal and rear end have been fixed. It's just that for 7,000 you can pick one up with less than 80,000 miles.
    And flowmaster 80 series is the worst flowing aftermarket muffler for our cars, other than that it looks nice.

Blue
    2000 WS6 Ram Air Trans Am

Good advice guys, Here's a few comments to the above. he's been autoXing with me for two years in his Honda. He already has been through the ticket probation scare and has calmed down his aggressive driving habits and knows that if he gets this car, 1 infraction and it's gone and he's back to a POS 4 door civic. He is buying it himself and selling the Honda. I think we can get it for around 4800 maybe less is we wait him out. he's in the Navy and is getting transfered.

I went and checked out the car, it's pretty solid. Oil looks good, brakes ect... It has a new clutch, and the rear end has been gone through. Maint wise, it's been taken care of very well. The only thing I don't like about it is the gears, it now has 3.73's He does have the stock gears still and I could go back to those which might be a good idea.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

Ive had my SS since i was 17 and ive done fine with it...

Black
    98 Z28

If your son is responsible id say let him get it. I got my Camaro i have now when i was 17, almost 20 now. Worst thing ive done with it is went out to a secluded area to street race like 3 times. Never had an accident that was my fault, no tickets, and never pulled over for a moving violation (but boy do they like trying to get me on equipment violations ). If he can tame the beast id say go for it. Wonderful car with fantastic power when you need it.

Also, when i bought mine 3 years ago it had 98k on the clock and i paid 7k. And the flowmaster may not flow but it sounds damn good.

2000 Camaro B4C

had my Z(B4C) since i was 17, and let me tell ya if the car was taken care of miles are nothing to worry about. Mines away for the winter now but i just did my cam swap at 155k and she runs like a champ. No doubt that being 18 with a "badass" car will definatly land a few tickets from the locals but it is all a learning experience and owning a car that demands respect will teach responsibility for sure.....juts my .02
    2000 B4C Special Service Package Z28 - Kooks 1&7/8 Stepped 2'' - TSP Torquer V.2 - FAST 92/92 - BDR 4000 Conveter - Xtreme Trans Stage II - Full UMI Suspension - Pacesetter LT's - Comp Drag Shocks - Magnaflow - Cutout - ZO6 MAF - FTP LID - Street Tuned -

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by beach cruiser View Post
    Good advice guys, Here's a few comments to the above. he's been autoXing with me for two years in his Honda. He already has been through the ticket probation scare and has calmed down his aggressive driving habits and knows that if he gets this car, 1 infraction and it's gone and he's back to a POS 4 door civic. He is buying it himself and selling the Honda. I think we can get it for around 4800 maybe less is we wait him out. he's in the Navy and is getting transfered.

I went and checked out the car, it's pretty solid. Oil looks good, brakes ect... It has a new clutch, and the rear end has been gone through. Maint wise, it's been taken care of very well. The only thing I don't like about it is the gears, it now has 3.73's He does have the stock gears still and I could go back to those which might be a good idea.
    one very important thing, especially if he's learned performance driving in a honda. he will have to re-learn alot going to a rear wheel drive.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    one very important thing, especially if he's learned performance driving in a honda. he will have to re-learn alot going to a rear wheel drive.
    +1. That's the biggest difference. Car will handle totally different, especially so in the snow/rain.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    +1. That's the biggest difference. Car will handle totally different, especially so in the snow/rain.
    ^^These. My previous three cars were FWD. When I was a parts driver out of high school, all the vehicles I drove were RWD and in the snow I was VERY careful. Like I would feather the gas and let the car/truck idle forward in the snow to get moving in a straight line. Taught me alot about driving in the snow. That Z looks like it was well taken care of. If you can, OP, try to talk the seller down and see what they will take for the car.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Oh...and this made me

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Oh...and this made me
    that was good. very subtle.

Black
    2002 Z28

thanks for using my crash thread as a refrence buuuddyy...and if he can handle a 300hp civic he should be fine and smart enough to drive it

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by F-my-body View Post
    thanks for using my crash thread as a refrence buuuddyy...and if he can handle a 300hp civic he should be fine and smart enough to drive it
    i for one thought it to be very appropriate. sort of a visual aid if you will. you have provided a valuable resource.
    and handling a 300hp fwd car is different than a 300+hp rwd car. it's not about being smart enough.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

i for one thought it to be very appropriate. sort of a visual aid if you will. you have provided a valuable resource.
    and handling a 300hp fwd car is different than a 300+hp rwd car. it's not about being smart enough.
    correct.....and you know your sons maturity level more than anyone on here does. I will say that my son won't be driving my f-body alone when he's 18.....much less one of his own. I don't care how mature I think he is.... I know how I was and 99.99% of the 18 year olds out there are. If he does buy one I'll hook up the laptop and lay a serious de-tune on it. It's my job to keep him safe and alive until he's out on his own....once he's out on his own it's out of my hands at that point.

Thread Information